Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I think for those of us (probably many of us) who have used food as our comfort to avoid dealing with anger or other emotions for a long time, suddenly not having that food is psychologically as well as physically tough.

Studies have shown that eating, esp of sweets, affects receptors for serotonin, and these are very close to the receptors for drug and alcohol addiction. The more we've eaten that stuff, the more receptors our brains have made to process it all. Take the "drug" of sugar away, and it's just as bad as an addict going through withdrawal. Add that to the physical drain that major surgery takes on you, and I think being depressed after surgery is more "normal" than to not be. My 2 cents.

You guys I don't know why but I am depressed, my surgery was on dec 17th and depression has hit me. I know what I did is a good thing and I did it for my self but why am I depressed? Everything gets to me so quick and I don't want to go anywhere to see anyone and I just feel like crying. I started on stage two full liquids as of Monday and for some reason the pain was unbearable... I called my dr and he told me that I had major surgery especially because mine was a revision and I have a lot to heal inside. I think that pain has traumatized me from food. I don't think I will eat again. Is anyone else experiencing the depression part??

How are you?

Sent from my Android using the BariatricPal App

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

I changed my profile image to a molecule of protein. Why? Because I am certain that it saved my life.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • eclarke

Two years out. Lost 120 , regained 5 lbs. Recently has a bout of Norovirus, lost 7 pounds in two days. Now my stomach feels like it did right after my surgery. Sore, sensitive to even water.  Anyone out there have a similar experience?
      · 0 replies
    • Eve411

April Surgery
      Am I the only struggling to get weight down. I started with weight of 297 and now im 280 but seem to not lose more weight. My nutrtionist told me not to worry about the pounds because I might still be losing inches. However, I do not really see much of a difference is this happen to any of you, if so any tips?
      Thanks
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Well recovering from gallbladder removal was a lot like recovering from the modified duodenal switch surgery, twice in 4 months yay 🥳😭. I'm having to battle cravings for everything i shouldn't have, on top of trying to figure out what happens after i eat something. Sigh, let me fast forward a couple of months when everyday isn't a constant battle and i can function like a normal person again! 😞
      · 0 replies
    • KeeWee

It's been 10 long years! Here is my VSG weight loss surgiversary update..
      https://www.ae1bmerchme.com/post/10-year-surgiversary-update-for-2024 
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches