Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Disappointed and Hiatal Hernia

So yesterday I had the EDG (scope) as I'm progressing towards surgery. My preference is the gastric sleeve, well they found a Hiatal Hernia :-( So now the option is gastric bypass. I'm not wanting to go that route at all ! I don't know what to do now. I have a follow up appointment in two weeks.

Has anyone had a Hiatal Hernia and still was able to have VSG?

There are several people here who have had a hiatal hernia and gotten the VSG. The surgeon repaired the hernia at the same time as they did the sleeve.

I don't know why the doc told my husband (I was in recovery) that the bypass was what he recommended. I hope that on my visit with him I can find out why. After all this time of jumping through hoops, going to support groups for 5 months, having all kinds of tests done, getting over my fears I really hope that I can have the sleeve. If not I'm afraid that I will have the problem fixed and not do anything more. I hope thats not the case. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I had a small hiatal hernia which was too little to bother with, so I was sleeved.

I didn't know that I had the hernia until I came out of the op and dr advised he fixed it while in there- no big deal from his perspective.

Hi, I am having a VSG on 21 January and my surgeon is fixing my small hiatus hernia. I would get another opinion.

All the best!

That's weird. I had a hiatal hernia, too (small), and my surgeon stitched it up during the VSG operation.

I've had acid reflux pre-op (been taking Ranitidine for at least 10 years, which resolved it well). Post-op, my reflux seems fine--certainly no worse than pre-op.

I had mine stiched up at the time of my VSG.

Thank you for sharing your stories, I will discuss this with the doc when I go for my visit. I'm not happy at this point :-(

I had a hiatal (sp?) hernia also & was able to get a VSG. They fixed it the same time I was sleeved.

Seems like it's a frequent problem. I will be prepared to insist on what I want.

My surgery was Nov, 2012 and I was 65 at the time. I had a nonfunctioning gall bladder with no bile, stones in the duct as well as a hiatal hernia. I had a trifecta!!! I had the sleeve surgery, the gall bladder removed, and the hernia repaired with scar tissue also scraped off, with just 6 incisions. I did very well, lost 106 pounds and went below my surgeons weight goal. Have my 2 year check up on Monday so I'll see how my bloodwork turned out. Good luck. Get another opinion!!

Carols5417 We only one barbaric surgeon in our area and is a very good one so I don't understand why he says I need the by pass. I have only 65 pounds to loose so it would seem like the sleeve would be the perfect fit.

It sounds like your doing really well, I just hope that I can join all of you with my own sucess story.

Had the same and it was repaired during the sleeve operation. I would not have gone along with the operation if a bypass was my only option, nasty option. I love this sleeve and have not regretted it one second.

Thank you Lalise, I will be sure to get this worked out.