Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

After 2-mos hiatus from the gym my endurance is zero and my legs hurt. Advice, please!

I took a hiatus from my workouts for about 2-mos owing to extensive travel and work schedules. LAME, LAME, LAME excuses I KNOW!!! Now that I have retuned to the gym, I find that I have zero endurance and stamina, as well as my legs hurt when I do one lap on the indoor track. This is worse than when I began my workouts a year ago, so not all of what I am experiencing can be attributed to the two month hiatus.

I am looking for any recommendations for increasing my endurance and stamina so that I can get through a meaningful workout. I understand that I have to work back up to the level I was at, but I need some immediate help to get me there. Is there some supplement regimen or anything else that I should follow (amino acids, hydration, Protein loading, carb loading, etc)? Note that I have celiac disease and lactose intolerance.
I also need a solution for the leg pain. I was able to run a 5k and now even one lap and my legs hurt.
Thanks so very much for your advice! I truly appreciate it!!!

Have you tried wearing compression tights to run? I like the Nike Pro version, but Under Armour has a good pair too.That can help alleviate some of the discomfort in your legs and they tend to make your legs and butt look good too, lol, so double the win. In the warmer months when tights are too hot, or if you don't like the idea of wearing super tight pants to workout, you can wear the compression socks that go up to your knees and that helps your calves feel better.

Edited by AvaFern

Hello...just go slow and start with the treadmill for 15 mins. I just went back this week and it was hard but now I look forward to going and I STOP looking back at what I use to do. I do 15 minutes on treadmill, elliptical, bike. Also try Protein drink: w/ Almond Milk, Rice Protein Powder, Spinach, Kale, 1/2 banana, cinnamon. It gives Great Energy.

Just get up and do it tomorrow. And then do it the next day. And soon it won't hurt.

That's how it works for me.

You're starting over. Think back to when you first began to work out. You had to work up those strenuous workouts. Your 2 month hiatus has reset the clock and you are back at square one. Go slow and regularly. As for the leg pain, take care to stretch before hand. Wear compression pants and get in your potassium. Eat a banana or drink coconut Water before working out.

Have you tried wearing compression tights to run? I like the Nike Pro version, but Under Armour has a good pair too.That can help alleviate some of the discomfort in your legs and they tend to make your legs and butt look good too, lol, so double the win. In the warmer months when tights are too hot, or if you don't like the idea of wearing super tight pants to workout, you can wear the compression socks that go up to your knees and that helps your calves feel better.

I was unaware of the compression tights. Thanks so much, this is very helpful! I am sure it will make a difference. I just ordered a pair!

Hello...just go slow and start with the treadmill for 15 mins. I just went back this week and it was hard but now I look forward to going and I STOP looking back at what I use to do. I do 15 minutes on treadmill, elliptical, bike. Also try Protein drink: w/ Almond Milk, Rice Protein powder, Spinach, Kale, 1/2 banana, cinnamon. It gives Great Energy.

Thank you for the encouragement. It helps to hear your story and your advice. I will give that energy Protein Drink a try! Thanks!!

You're starting over. Think back to when you first began to work out. You had to work up those strenuous workouts. Your 2 month hiatus has reset the clock and you are back at square one. Go slow and regularly. As for the leg pain, take care to stretch before hand. Wear compression pants and get in your potassium. Eat a banana or drink coconut Water before working out.

I'll go back to stretching before my run and down a coconut Water, too. Compression pants are on order. Thanks so much!

Maybe try spinning (cycling) or the elliptical for getting your endurance back up to where you want it. Get your HR at the low end of your target range and gradually work it up over a month or so. This may help with the leg pain, while building your endurance back up.

As far as pre workout drinks, there are so many different ones....with different goals. I'd suggest talking to someone at a GNC/Supplement Superstore type place and let them know what you're looking for. They should have lots of suggestions... Carbs, etc...

Just my $.02,

Good luck!

Maybe try spinning (cycling) or the elliptical for getting your endurance back up to where you want it. Get your HR at the low end of your target range and gradually work it up over a month or so. This may help with the leg pain, while building your endurance back up.

As far as pre workout drinks, there are so many different ones....with different goals. I'd suggest talking to someone at a GNC/Supplement Superstore type place and let them know what you're looking for. They should have lots of suggestions... Carbs, etc...

Just my $.02,

Good luck!

Good advice, David. I am using the rowing machine. I also am meeting with a trainer on Friday. Thanks very much!

Stretch, stretch and stretch some more ! I got plantar facitits ( heel injury ) in July, and have not been allowed or able to walk, exercise, let alone run. Trust me, you DON'T want this. It's a long and painful recovery even with Physical Therapy. So stretch alot and SLOWLY work your way up from short little walks to running. "Slow progress is better than no progress !" Good luck !

@@pink dahlia I admit I hate stretching and often skip it. You have convinced me to stretch, stretch, and stretch some more. Thank you!

Actually, alot of it is from your 2 month absence from the gym. It takes alot longer to get into shape than it does to fall out of shape. Start back slow, don't try to push yourself. Treat it as if you were going back to the gym for the first time in years not months. And most importanly, remember that anything that you do physically is an accomplishment and beats sitting at home watching tv. GOOD LUCK ON YOUR JOURNEY AND DON'T GIVE UP!!!!