Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band to Sleeve patients lose less?

I was told and read that with the bypass you will loose the most weight in the shortest amount of time, then the sleeve, then the the band. I just completed having the revision on the 24th. I elected the sleeve because I did not want the bypass because I did not want anything reroute. I am down 12 pounds and I am satisfied with the surgery and weight lose so far. I only had 1 week of the pre op diet.

I am having my revision next Tuesday Dec 9. I have also heard about not losing as fast. I am hoping that since I've had no restricton for several months, due to a complete unfill, that I will feel like this is a brand new beginning.

I am not getting much Protein yet, still struggling with nausea. No idea on carbs. I've had a few small portions of curry and khao soi so not much.

I will cute1. I did gain some weight about 10 lbs but I lost it again because I'm on a 2 week liquid diet

Edited by Alfie

If you start out heavier, the "slow losing" is less likely to apply. I lost at a good rate, and was a revision but I was over 300# at the time of my revision.

However, you do really need to get over any bad habits you might have learned as a bandster. I made a conscious decision to really avoid sliders, to be aware of that "no longer hungry" feeling etc. This was a topic of discussion with my nutritionalist.

I am new to this forum. I had a band over 3 years ago. Initially lost almost 50 pounds. I ran into problems with the port - it flipped so no adjustments could be made. Had port replaced and from then I did nothing but gain weight - no matter what they did. Ended up gaining it all back. Just had a sleeve done - finally! It's about 6 -7 weeks post op. Did great in liquid stage - lost 21lbs. in first couple of weeks. Since starting pureed foods it has been a struggle. I know I need to get more exercise in and have come to the conclusion that I'm not getting enough Protein. Just went to the Dr. today - says I need 60g Protein a day. He also wants 2 miles a day - 5 days a week. That should get things moving! Just a little frustrated but I'll keep forging ahead and hope my body will cooperate! Any ideas are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

The same thing happened to me. I lost 85 pounds with the band and has managed to keep it off. I had my sleeve 10 months ago and have lost no weight. I have gained no pounds so that is good. I think I have some restriction now so I am trying to get all my Protein and Water in now. I have lost 4 pounds in the last 2 weeks. I have only felt the restriction about 4 weeks, I am trying to work harder at my workout now so we will see

I had my band to sleeve revision on 8/28/14. I have only lost 22 lbs and have been stalled for the past 6 weeks. I am extremely frustrated. I consume 90-100 grams of Protein, 60-80 carbs, and 1200-1300 calories. I have been walking 1-2 miles, several times a week. I am starting to feel like a failure, or that I am not doing something right. Original SW before band was 275. Lost down to 190. I was 220 when I had the revision done. My goal is 150. It is starting to feel like I have gone through this surgery for nothing.

I'm meeting with a surgeon next week and am doing research beforehand. I'm concerned with this possibility of not losing weight. I've had the band for years and initially lost weight, but once I went back on solids it stopped. I never could find the right fill and spent way too much time sick... I lost count of how many business meals I had to excuse myself from even from just drinking Water. I have no fill now, but still get sick. I also have pain around the port and heart palpitations which I didn't have before my body rejected band. I've heard that's common has anybody else experienced this?

For those of you that did the conversion, would you do it again? Would you recommend it?

What i was explained is that when you get the bandbor sleeve your body is still absorbing calories glucose fat and everything else as it normally would because you still have your pylorus and duodenum functioning. Unlike bypass which helps you lose weight due to mal absorbtion and malnutrition, hence why all the Vitamins and nutrients we need to continue to take. If you are still in taking high calories you will lose much slower or if not exercising enough and not getting enough calories your body will go in starvation mode and hoard all your calories and fat. Again all things that were explained to me by the bariatric team. Had RNY 12 / 01 / 14

Does anyone know if band to bypass patients lose more or faster than band to sleeve?

I don't know. I loss 85 pounds with the band and only about 9 pounds with the sleeve in about 10 months. I have a personal trainer but told today I was bulking my muscles, now will start toning which is more rep. I have recently started running. I think if no prior surgery probably faster with a sleeve. I am a NP and my pts that had the sleeve has done well. My gastric bypass patient has gained all her weight back plus more. I hope that helps

Hmm... what I've been reading here is scaring me. I had my band put in in February of 2005. I initially lost something like 75 pounds, but within the past year, have put 50 of those back on. Talked to my surgeon who suggested I'd be better off with the sleeve.

She "only" wants me to lose about 10 pounds prior to the sleeve surgery, but I'm having a hard time with that. I'm really concerned with the two month period between having my band removed and having the sleeve done.

I admit I'm not making the best food choices, but I've been trying really hard over the past month to make better choices (tuna salad, vegetables, etc), but wound up putting on weight (ok, 1 pound, but still).

I wonder if doing the revision is really going to help me...

NOT feeling real good about this... :-(

I have been disappointed in my sleeve. I loss 85 pounds with the band. I had a slippage and a leak and since my insurance wouldn't pay for a replacement or sleeve, I elected to go to Mexico for a sleeve and pay cash. That was in January 2014. Initially I wasn't exercising at all. In I started working out with a personal trainer three times a week. I am now doing cardio 3-4 times a week. I have recently been in touch with Dr staff in Mexico. I sent a food diary and they feel not eating enough calories. I need to increase by 350 calories per. I talked to them after a week. I gained 4 pounds but think related to mostly carbs with. I am again doing the diary with fewer carbs, more Protein and Water and see what happens. Will also talk to the doctor. They are telling me my body think starvation mode and is holding on to the weight. I was averaging about 500-600 calories per day