Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just got home from the doctors office...had my first fill...I was so scared...it was nothing like I thought it would be....the doctor numbed the area and it didn't hurt at all....like a little bee sting....the fill didn't hurt at all...just pressure....I am so glad I have got that behind me...next time I will not be so freaked out....I drank a small little cup of Water and ate a few bites of a cracker...no problem....I go on liquids for today, mush tomorrow, and reg . foods on Saturday....

For all of those getting ready for the first fill, don't worry.....it is really not painful at all.....

Hope all has a great weekend....

I was surprised at all the pressure and pushing! I guess I thought my port was more fragile than it really is. Big As Life - do you feel more restriction? I don't feel much more restricted than I did before my fill...

The force it requires to push the needle in and then even more force to pull it out amazed me. With all that force, it seems like it should hurt, but it isn't a part of you. My doc doesn't even numb it. Since the needle only has to penetrate skin and not muscle, I don't feel anymore than a little sting. Sometimes, there is a little bleeding though.

I know! I thought I was going to pass out from fear before my first fill, and then it was NO BIG DEAL! Life is great, ain't it?

:what: Hi big as life.

I had my first fill also last Friday. I'm glad it went well for you.

I think I expected this huge "altering" difference, but I do not see a major change, but I'm happy with that.

Doc did not numb the port area, and I have to honestly say I've had better times...lol. My next fill will be by the nurse, and I have feeling she will have a softer touch! :)

What was your surgery date? Mine was 4/8/07.

Do you feel a change in restriction? I really don't notice much of a change in restriction. I'm to call them in 2 weeks if I don't notice at least a 1 lb. weight loss.

I am scheduled for my first fill 5/24/07 and I am nervous. The things I am most nervous about are....how am I going to know if I can eat something or get it down? When I do something wrong is it just going to " come up" without warning? Should I put off going to lunch with co-workers as to not accidently offend anyone? Do we have time to excuse ourself before our food comes back up? I know this may sound crazy but I do worry how we know what/when/how we know what we are doing wrong. Can someone please tell me some guideleined to go by or direct me to a site that spells things out in plain english that we newbies should do and expect. I really appreciate all the help you guys give on this site, you would not believe how much it really helps us newbie's. Thanks again.

:faint:

Mary Rose,

Mine was 4/6/07....I am sorry to hear that your first fill was not an easy

one....maybe the nurse will be easier on you...hope so...

Janell,

Just eat slowly and take small bites.....don't try to force the food....chew,chew, chew.......as soon as you feel full, stop.....don't eat anymore....you may still feel just a bit hungry, but after a few seconds, you will be full.....don't eat anymore.....

Oh Thank you, thank you, thank you... for sharing your experience with me (and others). This has been my biggest fear after surgery. What is getting a fill going to be like??.... It is nice to know it might not be too bad. I do know my doctor is a little rough so I expect some uncomfortable moments as well but at least I am better prepared for the event when it happens in 3-4 weeks. Yes a LONG time out...

Thanks again.

Kitty

I had my first fill on 09 May, and like others ,I was worried. I was in and out in less than 10 min. totally painless other that the shot to deaden the area. ( I admit it i'm a wuss when it come to needles)

307/265/190ish

Dr.Darren Minkin

Des Peres hospital

St.Louis Mo.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Eve411

April Surgery
      Am I the only struggling to get weight down. I started with weight of 297 and now im 280 but seem to not lose more weight. My nutrtionist told me not to worry about the pounds because I might still be losing inches. However, I do not really see much of a difference is this happen to any of you, if so any tips?
      Thanks
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Clueless_girl

Well recovering from gallbladder removal was a lot like recovering from the modified duodenal switch surgery, twice in 4 months yay 🥳😭. I'm having to battle cravings for everything i shouldn't have, on top of trying to figure out what happens after i eat something. Sigh, let me fast forward a couple of months when everyday isn't a constant battle and i can function like a normal person again! 😞
      · 0 replies
    • KeeWee

It's been 10 long years! Here is my VSG weight loss surgiversary update..
      https://www.ae1bmerchme.com/post/10-year-surgiversary-update-for-2024 
      · 0 replies
    • Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches