Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

@ Lovin Life, I was like you...I had researched but was not prepared for how bad it was. On day 3 I wanted to die. But things started looking up on day 4 and I was actually back to work on day 6. Still short of energy but definitely hanging in there.

How long does the gas hang around anyway? Where does it get trapped?

I take it burping and tooting doesn't make it better?

My gas seems to be mostly gone today. I had surgery on Thursday. The first day or so it was caught under my diaphragm, which was really uncomfortable. Yesterday afternoon I could feel it moving up into my shoulders which wasn't quite as bad. Today I feel things really gurgling around, but otherwise I feel good.

Perhaps it would give you a new perspective to remember how much your life before WLS sucked.

And why you had the surgery.

And, of course, that the current suckage will be over soon.

Yeah I am 9 days post op and was doing better for a few days after a few days of hell and now the burning searing pain in my side I get when I am in certain positions us beyond my pan tolerance. Nausea has come back and struggling last 2 days to get my daily fluids on again. Gas pains went away for a couple days but returned yesterday. Bad diarrhea returned today. Today is a bad day again. Hoping more good days ahead soon. I've been living on Protein enriched broth and strawberry Protein Shakes, very small amounts plus Water and that's it and struggling to get 48 Oz of fluids in daily. Then thrown in the 5 supplements have to chew up a different times (calcium 3x and multi Vitamin 2x) and it's hard to get down everything. No time to rest with all the feedings and sipping and mess and supplements all at different times and spacing. I need a day off

Days 3 and 4 were the hardest for me. I know this will be TMI, but not being able to have a bowel movement was REALLY bad. It did get better after day 4. You got this - drink up! I mean Water. lol

The gas pain seemed to be well controlled and the heating pad helped so so much in the hospital. Today is day 4 and I can't believe how much better I feel in just 2 days. I make laps around my house every hour during the day and every 3 hours or so at night. I am still sleeping in my recliner and can't wait until I can get back to my bed. I will probably give the bed a try in another 2-3 nights. I am so glad I bought a new recliner 3 weeks before surgery. It has been my nest since I have been home. I was able to get 45 grams of Protein in yesterday and 30 oz of Fluid. I have gotten 20 oz of fluid so far today and am really trying to push my fluids by using a 5 minute timer and it is really helping. Tomorrow I start working on full liquids which I will be happy for a bit more variety. I am still exhausted and sore but don't have any nausea which I am so grateful for. I am getting there and time does help. I just keep looking forward to the next day and the next and keep telling myself it will get better. Now I am off to the shower for my first solo attempt since surgery. My husband has been showering with me and helping me wash my hair and everything since surgery. It is such a hardship (not-I think he has enjoyed that more than anything) for him to be needed so much.

Yeah I am 9 days post op and was doing better for a few days after a few days of hell and now the burning searing pain in my side I get when I am in certain positions us beyond my pan tolerance. Nausea has come back and struggling last 2 days to get my daily fluids on again. Gas pains went away for a couple days but returned yesterday. Bad diarrhea returned today. Today is a bad day again. Hoping more good days ahead soon. I've been living on Protein enriched broth and strawberry Protein Shakes, very small amounts plus Water and that's it and struggling to get 48 Oz of fluids in daily. Then thrown in the 5 supplements have to chew up a different times (calcium 3x and multi Vitamin 2x) and it's hard to get down everything. No time to rest with all the feedings and sipping and mess and supplements all at different times and spacing. I need a day off

Have you contacted your surgeons office and let them know what is happening? I would rather be safe than sorry.

Hang in there. The first week is not the best, but fast forward a few weeks when you are 10, 20, 30, or more pounds lighter.... it all becomes worth it. I am 9 weeks out and down 61lbs from my high weight and 45 since surgery! feel like a new man

I am 13 days post op, and while there is a little pain, the worst part is hunger and cravings at this point! Not every one has a bad experience.

I strongly urge you preparing for surgery to take advantage of the good meds post op while in the hospital, get up and move! If helps with the gas pains like nobody's business, they pump air I go your abdomen and it takes awhile for it to dissipate . The faster you get up and move around while you still have the anesthesia in your system and the good IV drugs the better your dr recovery will be. I am living proof! My recovery was really easy. I mean as compared to not having surgery and a normal day, it was different, a few things were harder though, like bathroom visits, omg am I glad that is over!

Early movement seems to have been the key for me!

@nprcowboy- yowza! You are having a rough time. Gosh, have you called your doc? I haven't heard yet, of so many issues post op. I'm waiting for mine (dec 2.)

From the 2 Pre-op seminars I had to go to, none of them spoke of pain after the hospital or any of those things you mentioned.

Oh boy, looks like I'm in for a ride lol

I am calling this morning as I'm worried about the severe diarrhea I'm having past 2 days and now I have severe hunger thrown in the mix even tho yesterday I hit all my Fluid and Protein intake. Someone suggested to take antacids so will try that and see if hunger goes away, but I'm concerned over bathroom time right now

In a few weeks you won't even remember...you will be loving life!

The first week was sucky for me, by the second week it was so much better. Week 3 I left on a 10 day business trip. I feel pretty darn good. A few aches and pain trying to get comfy at night but other than that...movement for me was the key.

The more I moved the better I felt...laps around the house...then down the driveway etc.

I still have bouts of diarrhea mixed with constipation....my MD and NUT say it's normal for the first month or so.