Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello Everyone!

This is my first post in this forum. I decided a couple of months ago to start researching WLS and I went to a talk done by Dr. Sudan at Duke, where I also work. And was interested in getting the DS surgery after the talk. I have done all of my initial visits, Dr. Sudan, Psych, Nutritionist and have been cleared. I still have all of my other testing to get done, Aka, sleep Study, EGD, Blood work, chest X-ray. I am spreading them out over the next 6 months that I have to wait for my insurance company to approve it.

When I first learned that I would have to wait 6 months to even be approved, my insurance requires me to be in Weight Watchers for 6 months going once a week to be weighed and exercising 3 times a week. I was very upset that I would be "forced" into another diet, but once I let it go and just decided to submit to what I had to do to get my surgery, I felt much better. I figured if I lose weight before my surgery it will be all the better! Although, going into weight watchers once a week to be weighed like cattle makes me feel anxious, embarrassed and pissed off. But it is just another hurdle to get to my ultimate goal of sustained weight loss!

Just saying hi to everyone! I am looking at possibly getting my surgery in April 2015. Whoohoo!

I hope everyone has a great day!

Jessyeish

Good luck on your upcoming surgery. I am 18 months post-op from RNY surgery. I lost 20 pounds pre-op and 90 pounds post-op and I now weigh 150 pounds. I had several medical issues (high blood pressure, diabetes, sleep apnea, profuse sweating, frequent urination). All these conditions went into remission within days after surgery.

My insurance required that I undergo a 6 month medically monitored weight loss and exercise program in order to qualify for the surgery. Before I began this program I went cold turkey on diet cokes. I was drinking around 6 diet cokes a day and the program required that I give up caffeine and carbonated beverages. As a result of this restriction alone, I lost 20 pounds.

Qualifying for this process can be a long road with several pitfalls along the way. But in my opinion well worth the effort.

Congrats Jessy. You will be amazed at how fast these six months go by. And I really do think that the time it takes is good in that you get used to thinking differently about food and food related issues/concerns/triggers.

By the time April rolls around, you will be ready for the changes to come. FYI...I was supposed to be banded in October of 2012 and was all set mentally and otherwise. Then Hurricane Sandy hit and the hospital was badly damaged and my surgery didn't happen until January of 2013. I'm sure you can imagine how upsetting that was and yet, nearly two years later, it means nothing. Just one of many blips on the radar. Just keep your head down, do what you need to do, and all will be well.

Congrats April!!! My insurance requires 6 months of weight management but I used my primary care physician, getting weighed in once a month. From Feb to Sept, I actually lost 20 lbs so it was well worth it, plus it went by so fast!!! I have mu surgery on Mon the 17th.

So happy for you! And as others say, spring will be here before you know it. I really benefited from hanging out on this forum prior to my surgery. I read so many posts and was able to sort out the successful people and follow them. I was so excited prior to surgery that I could barely sit still, and now a year later I still feel that level of enthusiasm. Weight loss surgery changes our lives and I think for me that has to do with the fact that I chose myself and my healthy future first. Electing surgery meant that I was serious about me, about how much I matter. Way to go jumping through all your hoops! And for the first time, the weight you lose will be pounds that are not coming back after surgery. That sure is a bonus, considering the weight I would put back on every single diet I went on -- and there were many, many. You are going to do beautifully.

I'm getting The ds this Monday I'm nervous and excited. November 17th,2014

Thanks everyone for your support! I am super excited and yes, time will fly I hope! :)

Welcome. Always glad to have another DSer (or soon to be DSer) join the fold. :)