Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 months post op/ feeling malnutrition

That's absurd. Please let us know who you're doctor is so we can make sure we never refer him/her. At least you have this forum and can try some of the ideas that were mentioned. That's why I joined because I'm feeling like I need to get other opinions. I will say that I absolutely love my doctor. The program I went through was extremely time consuming but I know it was in my best interest. However, the doctor and bariatric nurse never had the surgery themselves.

Well I got a call back and very disappointed that all he said was if it got worse to go into urgent care! Really!! Also they do blood work at 6 mths post op!

Call your regular doctor. Running labs is easy and any decent doctor shouldn't have a problem doing that for you. There's no reason you need to feel like crap this far out. In the meantime, eat more, drink more, and look into a better Vitamin regimen. PM me if you'd like.

Thank you :) I did call my pcp and will see her tomorrow morning. I'm so pissed right now that my surgeon blew me off like that! The nurse that called me mentioned that the "pain" I was having isn't due to the surgery that's why I should go to urgent care! Well duh!! I'm in no pain from the surgery I said! I'm just very neasous with no appetite, weak,tired and very thirsty!! I was thinking of going to the store and buying B12 vitimins but remembered the whole digestion thing :(

Glad you're getting seen. I do sublingual B12. Way cheaper than shots and my bloodwork has been normal. If you can't find them locally, Amazon has them. Like $12 for 250.

I was given a handbook at my first doctor's appt. It has everything very clearly spelled out. From pre- to post op. On the page that discusses Vitamins it states:

"After gastric bypass or sleeve surgery, you must take Vitamins and mineral supplements for the rest of your life to prevent nutritional deficiencies."

Multi & mineral supplement

• Take 2 multiviatims every day
  • You may need to use a chewable for at least the first month after surgery
  • Do no use gummy vitamins as they are not complete
  • Purchas a high potency Vitamin containing 100%of daily value for at least 2/3 of nutrients listed

Calcium Citrate w/ Vit D

• Take 100-1500 mg of Calcium daily.
  • Do not take more than 600mg of calcium at a time
  • Pay attention to serving size. Often , the serving size is 2 pills
  • If you take Iron, do not take Iron & calcium at the same time. Separate them by at least 2 hours.

Additional Vit. D

• You will need an additional 1000 international units of D3.
  • Your total daily requirement from all your supplements should be 3000 IU

Vit. B-12

• Daily sublingual(under the tongue) *If the tablet contains 1000mcg, then you only need to take every other day
  • OR
  • Monthly B-12 shot
  • Iron Supplement (Optional)
  • Some patients will need extra iron. Your dietitian will tell you if you need to take iron.
  • Taking iron with 250mg Vit C will improve iron absorption

All of these can be purchased OTC. Sometimes insurance will cover some of them if your doctor writes a prescription. If you are feeling tired you might want to purchase them now. At the very least increase your Multi-Vitamin.< /p>

My doctor will check bloodwork at 3mths

Wow thank you for all that info! I'm so surprised this was never told to me!!

I copied it directly from the handbook. I am really surprised no one went over this with you. Please stop in the List of Surgeons & Hospital thread and share you experiences. It may help those considering surgery.

Your bariatric team should have informed you of this. If you are seeing your PCP,you may want to print that and take it with you.

My opinion you are describing a fairly typical post op experience. I did not feel fully human till about 3 months post op. Take your supplements, make sure you are getting adequate Protein, rest when you need to and just accept that this "malaise" is normal for many people. I think my first post op bloodwork was either 3 or 6 months post sleeve. My bloodwork was PERFECT, but I felt like you are describing until I was 3-4 months post op.

Okay, I didn't realize you weren't taking supplements. Do that. make sure you get the B complex ones too.

Well I got a call back from my dietician and she said just drink fluids. She thought it sounded like I was a bit dehydrated! I also mentioned to her that I feel like I am lacking some type of nutrition,a Vitamin I told her. she said all I need to take is my Multivitamin and if I wanted to take a B12 I could but I don't need it! so I'm just assuming I didn't have any deficiencies before or after surgery?!? Hmmm..

Well I got a call back from my dietician and she said just drink fluids. She thought it sounded like I was a bit dehydrated! I also mentioned to her that I feel like I am lacking some type of nutrition,a Vitamin I told her. she said all I need to take is my multivitamin and if I wanted to take a B12 I could but I don't need it! so I'm just assuming I didn't have any deficiencies before or after surgery?!? Hmmm..

That doesn't sound right. Everything I've read says ALL bariatric patients are put on Vitamins and supplements post op. Our bodies no longer aborb the nutrients we need. This may be why you are feeling run down. I am 7 weeks post op and feel pretty much back to normal. I'm back to working out 2 -3 times a week and hoping to up that to 3 - 4 times a week.

From a quick google I get:

Cleveland Clinic

UCSF Medical Center

Med. Navy

Obesity Action.org

American Society for Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery *Scroll down to table 5

When did you have your surgery?

Edited by Blerdgirl

Even my friends Who were not given the long list of Vitamin supplements That I was are taking just a multi-are taking it twice a day. I can scan the list of Vitamins that Kaiser requires although they are extensive.

I'm doing Centrum chewables morning and night. Not Centrum women not centrum senior we were told adult has the nutrients. I also take a chewable Vitamin D that I got online, selenium liquid 3 x a week that I found The Vitamin Shoppe. liquid B12 from CVS every morning, in 2 weeks supposed to start Calcium 1500 mgI found a liquid at Walmart supposed to take morning noon and night. Iron with Vitamin C at bedtime., b1(thiamin) every morning and I have to crush it I couldn't find a chewable or liquid.

Who knows if I'll continue to do that forever but at least until I get my Vitamins levels checked in a few months.

I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Does anyone know about how long before I can get the tube removed from my stomach? I had surgery on Nov. 4th and have my post op appt. On Nov. 13th. I am so hoping I can have it removed on my Nov. 13th appt.