Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Taking my band out for lunch....

I remember being worried about whether I'd be able to eat out after getting a Lapband. Not only is it easy, but I'm now an incredibly cheap date. Today my husband and I went to an Asian place, which for me is one of the more challenging venues. These days I don't eat rice, and I am picky about MSG and that sort of thing. So no sushi for me (not a huge loss -- if I really wanted it I'd have sashimi, which for me is really an excuse for Wasabi), and no Chinese dishes with pre-made sauces. They just hold no appeal for me now. I've discovered the best thing for me in an Asian restaurant is a Bento Box. I order the salmon, which I love, and I ask for it with no sauce. So it's a lovely piece of salmon in the perfect small portion size. Also in the box is rice, veggies, a few shu-mai dumplings and some sushi -- all that goes to my dining partner or comes home in a take-out box. I have my Miso Soup and then pick at the salmon with chopsticks. Chopsticks are a wonderful tool for slowing down. I tend to put them up to my lips empty between bites as part of my training to not be a shoveler. I had no idea how fast I was eating until I had to learn not to do that anymore. While packing up the left-overs I am absolutely amazed that I have found satiety (or it has found me) after so little food. But there it is -- good clean Protein and that was completely satisfying. Also I notice that now when I eat I am so entirely present. We sat outside today -- a crisp New England day and we were bundled up in fuzzy jackets. We know it won't be long before the jig is up on all things outdoors so we're taking advantage of every moment we can sit in the sun. It was such a pleasure to just look around and be. I think before I was always thinking about the food. There's so much more to dining now. I love noticing everything around me -- and noticing what a delicate eater I am now and how good that feels. Happy Tuesday every one!

You're wearing fuzzy jackets, and I'm wearing a sleeveless shirt...... 92 degrees in the Big Easy today!

Here on Long Island it's layer weather. Starts out freezing needing warm and fuzzy wear, and then the temps go up with the sun and down again with the sun.

It's nice but it can make getting dressed for the day difficult.

I need to take my band home and get some dinner and see if I can leave my dark and stormy mood here at the office today along with all the candy and bad habits that normally don't get to me. These last few days... I'm just not focusing on eating right. Just junking it along the way....grabbing this and that to keep the "hunger" at bay. Bad Lisa bad. Not because I had some mini bites of candy or a pretzel but because I made that my lunch! Maybe some nice chicken for dinner and a nice mug of Decaf coffee and some decompression with puppy kisses and tomorrow will be a better day.

Let's hope so on many levels.

Isn't it great when you appreciate how good the food tastes instead of just shoveling it in? I really enjoy it so much more now that I only eat a little.

I love this post! I was just thinking about this today. I enjoy my food so much more now. Small portions but so good.

The band is the band is the band.....it is a constant...it does not change if I am at a party, thanksgiving dinner, vacation, halloween...whatever...it is always there and never changes, no matter what I may desire or not....eventually I now take it fro granted, it is the "New Norm"...just the way it is and the way I am now.....

food or fear of overeating does not scare me, nor is the fear of gaining weight....

Well, I can't wait to see if I ever feel the same way, B-52. I'm starting to think of all of my other failed attempts at MAINTENANCE over the past two times of losing 100 pounds (both times in my 20's), and to be honest, I'm a little scared..... Scared that I will manage to screw it up ONE MORE TIME!!!!!! Hopefully, the band will be the band will be the band........ Hopefully!

Edited by HealthyNewMe

Sigh...you know the band is the band but sometimes it's too easy to beat the band! It does not go around my head and in my case that is the BIG problem!!

I have to tell you yesterday, it was not the best day. I was distracted and frustrated and I could go on about my "feelings" but the biggest part of it was that I was distracted and frustrated. So during the day, I puttered around and did not eat well.

I had a Protein bar mid-morning and some sting cheese and junk. I was wallowing...and whining and there was nothing around that I really "wanted" to eat but my body kept calling for "food" yes of course it did I haven't been putting in very nutritious fuel the last few days if I put in anything at all so I'm running on empty and filling the tank with coffee and sugar. I know so bad.....

Last night I had 4 Wendy's chicken nuggets, and that was the extent of Protein or solid "food" if you can call it that...so now it's time for bed. I have a headache I'm exhausted mentally feeling fried yet my brain will not power down to rest. It's rambling kind of like this post is ...and all I could think is that I AM HUNGRY.

I don't think I was, I had a Protein Bar....and that nagging was still there. I wanted something sweet and then something salty and then I wanted some shrimp hello it's 12am and 5 am comes fast what the heck am I doing thinking about seafood?!

So yeah, I finally went to sleep and woke up in a mad rush over tired and irritated.

It's great to not sit down and drown in food, but that was never really my issue to begin with. My issue is just as I described above...distraction forgetting to make those bites count with food that's worthy of eating!!

This is a bad cycle to get caught up in for me, because it just perpetuates the issue. Round and round it goes until I crash and it's not just about the weight gain or loss for me. It's about my health, and that's what ends up taking the hit.

OK so I'll make it a better day today, though it has not started out that way....perhaps some shrimp for lunch though....:)

Well, I can't wait to see if I ever feel the same way, B-52. I'm starting to think of all of my other failed attempts at MAINTENANCE over the past two times of losing 100 pounds (both times in my 20's), and to be honest, I'm a little scared..... Scared that I will manage to screw it up ONE MORE TIME!!!!!! Hopefully, the band will be the band will be the band........ Hopefully!

My worry exactly. I already know that I get uncomfortable if I overeat but I can so eat around the band if I choose. I am really trying to act and think like a small person in that I try to not do more than taste a little of something rather than go back for extra.

But I'll never be naturally thin and thusly I don't know that I'll ever think like a naturally thin person so I do what I can to help myself. I keep 100 calorie items close by. I keep trigger foods away, and I use good old fashioned will (or want) power.

All my 'fat' clothes have been tossed or given away. I do not want to have clothes available in larger sizes for me to slide back into. I'm seeing a therapist to help me cope with issues without turning to food. As spectacular as the weight loss has been...this was still the easy part. The hard part is keeping it off. Here's my dream....I want to be thin long enough that people forget the fat me. I want only pictures of how I used to look.

Hang in with me Tammie. We'll do it together you and I.

Oh Lisa, now I'm picturing my LapBand around my head and I sure needed that laugh today.

I went to a harvest party with my grandchildren. this man was going around with a big bowl of candy for the grownups. I told him no a few times but finally gave in when I saw a tootsie roll. okay as I analyzed the situation. if I eat the tootsie roll it will take me a long time because it's so chewy its chocolate and fat free. yea!!! I hated my mouth after eating it. I haven't had a sugar mouth in a long long time. when I got home I needed to drink glasses of Water. ok that's my Halloween story. I have thought for a while now that a bento box would be perfect for meals. I am not one that just likes one thing at mealtime. a box would be perfect. going to Amazon to find one. ha good idea bandista

Yikes!! When I read your title, I thought you meant you had a removable band of some sort and were literally "taking it out" before eating lunch!!!! :lol: