Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why is having surgery in Mexico such a taboo subject?

@@jjinWA you are definitely in a rare position to be able to compare apples to apples. I'm sure everything will go well and can't wait to hear your critique!

Same here.

I have to admit though, I am sorry for people that arent in the driving area having to go to Mexico. It would have been very very tough on me to do that and then fly out. I don't know how people do it, but they do. I support people having the ability to look themselves in the face and say I can do this and show the fortitude to do it. Takes guts. Takes character.

I think people who research their options and choose a good one - and it seems a number have - really, I can't see why people can't support this. Especially when they don't have insurance.

Its us against obesity right? Not the country. Not each other. Its us trying to improve our health.

Amen! Planning on seeing Dr. Ortiz next month. Sorry I'll miss you and your daughters at OCC! Please stay in touch.

Same here.

I have to admit though, I am sorry for people that arent in the driving area having to go to Mexico. It would have been very very tough on me to do that and then fly out. I don't know how people do it, but they do. I support people having the ability to look themselves in the face and say I can do this and show the fortitude to do it. Takes guts. Takes character.

I think people who research their options and choose a good one - and it seems a number have - really, I can't see why people can't support this. Especially when they don't have insurance.

Its us against obesity right? Not the country. Not each other. Its us trying to improve our health.

BitterSweet: we will be close behind you, flying to San Diego Dec 7th with surgeries schedule Dec 8th. I wish you the best of luck!

Swim Kieran: We live in Seattle WA area so flight is not too bad. 2 1/2 hrs non stop. We did book 1st class on return trip so that the girls will be as comfortable as possible. We go through life where situations arise that require difficult decisions. You are right though, every person that has made the decision for WLS has had to muster strength and guts to make such a decision. It is truly for our very health and well being. I am so excited for my daughters to finally get on the losers bench! MEXICO HERE WE COME!!!!!

Perhaps if they are having problems getting a PCP to accept them as patients, it would be best to not start out with the "surgery in Mexico" bit.

After the fact, the location where you had surgery is pretty immaterial. I had my gallbladder removed in 2006 (in the US), and while I certainly tell doctors that I had it removed, no doctor has ever asked the name of the hospital or where it was located.

Yes, I agree. When the time comes it is probably best to forgo providing the location information. We will take it as it comes and work around all of this the best that we can and will base our followup on an 'as needed' scenario. When they need bloodwork, etc. we will contact a PCP then.

I agree. The problem will come when the doctor doesn't want to do followup bloodwork. I've found some do and some don't. They will tell you to go back to the original surgeon. The problem is waiting months for a PCP and then finding out they aren't what was expected, its having to wait another few months to find another.

I am not sure on the ER's. I've seen them miss some major stuff. The other problem you miss out on? Some one I know who doesn't live a "traditional" lifestyle, when she mentions it, that's when the stuff hits the fan. I can understand the point of not saying anything, but at least you develop a relationship with someone who approves of you and your choices.

I know another person who has problems also away from the surgeon. They had my surgeon and moved away. They couldn't find a doctor and have gotten at least a couple of ER visits and those aren't cheap.

Its a catch 22. This surgery is as safe as hip replacement, but you also don't know who knows what in the ER. Sometimes you are getting residents, etc. and they may not have the level of expertise as another. I once got a trainee PA.

How about your daughters asking their OB/Gyn if their PCP isn't cooperative. I had my biannual pap about a month after my VSG and I told her all about it. She volunteered to set up any lab work I needed. Also, are there ever any health fairs in your area? Our local hospital has them once or twice a year and offer discounted wellness blood work. OCC has a list of recommended labs, so maybe you could ask for "add on" tests when getting a wellness check.

Just to add my two cents - Has it occurred to anyone that some reasons that many surgeons here will not do follow up after care work on surgeries done elsewhere are - if they need to reference your records and paperwork, first, they have to send for the records and secondly, they will be in Spanish.

And, once they get your records, they have to find someone who can translate the records PERFECTLY from Spanish to English. Misread records or bad interpretations very likely would be a liability to the U.S. doctors. Doctors here already pay a boatload in the U.S. to keep themselves insured. That is another reason healthcare costs so much here.

So, do not blame the U.S. doctors if they will not provide follow-up care for patients operated upon elsewhere. It may not be practical and serving you might open them up to litigation. And, their insurance companies may be putting pressure on them to keep away from patients who have their surgery elsewhere.

It is a money thing and liability is not the issue. Records of the surgery are sent home with the patient and is Already translated to English. I fail to find valid reason why a dr in US is unwilling to do followup work such as bloodwork and barium swallow. We are not asking the to perform surgery again.

I agree, OBGYN can do the bloodwork as part of the annual physical. And wonderful idea about getting labs as part of health fair.

I think if anything serious would arise, the best solution is to head back to Mexico. Our surgeon there is qualified and will be more then willing to work through any issues that come up. But more urgent issue will be ER. My friend had her surgery in US. She was self pay. Paid out of pocket $28,000. She ended up in ER due to complications later and her ins paid for it. So just because you self pay up front does not mean ins does not pay for complications later. We will take each issue as it comes and deal with it.

Just to add my two cents - Has it occurred to anyone that some reasons that many surgeons here will not do follow up after care work on surgeries done elsewhere are - if they need to reference your records and paperwork, first, they have to send for the records and secondly, they will be in Spanish.

And, once they get your records, they have to find someone who can translate the records PERFECTLY from Spanish to English. Misread records or bad interpretations very likely would be a liability to the U.S. doctors. Doctors here already pay a boatload in the U.S. to keep themselves insured. That is another reason healthcare costs so much here.

So, do not blame the U.S. doctors if they will not provide follow-up care for patients operated upon elsewhere. It may not be practical and serving you might open them up to litigation. And, their insurance companies may be putting pressure on them to keep away from patients who have their surgery elsewhere.

All of my records (blood work, ECG, OR report, postop notes, and fluoroscopy results) were sent via email by my surgeon in Mexico. And they were written English. This is common practice for most reputable Mexican surgeons. Many also send along X-Rays and even a DVD of the surgical procedure (wished mine would have done that....very cool!). So no, the record keeping issue is not a valid excuse for refusing patients.

Since my surgery in Mexico, I have seen my PCP, OBGyn, and a gastroenterologist. Not one of them had a problem with caring for me, so this is obviously not an across the board insurance/liability thing. Luckily for me my physicians chose to do their jobs....which is caring for and ensuring the health of patients. The doctors that refuse to help are more afraid of litigation and care more about their bottom line than they do about helping people. They are small minded, arrogant and racist.

Edited by Kindle

It cannot be racism by the way because Mexican or latino Is not a race. The reason is much simpler, the standards of care do not have to be followed in Mexico, so doctors here do not know exactly what they are dealing with. They cannot call the surgeon and ask. For your daughter have you tried getting financial assistance through the www.wlsfa.org ?

I'm loving this website. I feel like its a no judgement zone and I can have conversations with intelligent people who aren't going to race to some unfounded conclusion.

Ok, racist is the wrong word. Prejudice is more appropriate. These doctors are rejecting patients because of a preconceived notion that their surgeon isn't qualified or practice in substandard facilities just because he practices in Mexico. And as for being able to ask questions, they are just in another country, not on another planet....I can talk to or email or Skype any of the doctors at OCC anytime. When they haven't been immediately available, I get a return call or email within 24 hours...even on the weekends. Much better response than my gastroenterologist or any of the bariatric surgeons I contacted in the US before making my decision to go to Mexico!

Edited by Kindle

Ok, racist is the wrong word. Prejudice is more appropriate. These doctors are rejecting patients because of a preconceived notion that their surgeon isn't qualified or practice in substandard facilities just because he practices in Mexico. And as for being able to ask questions, they are just in another country, not on another planet....I can talk to or email or Skype any of the doctors at OCC anytime. When they haven't been immediately available, I get a return call or email within 24 hours...even on the weekends. Much better response than my gastroenterologist or any of the bariatric surgeons I contacted in the US before making my decision to go to Mexico!

Exactly! Many of the doctors that practice in Mexico were educated and trained in the US!

I have never talked to my surgeon in the US since I had the surgery. Any question I have had has been addressed by his nurse practitioner. Apparently it is beneath him to talk to his patients once he performs the surgery and collects your money. My office visits have been scheduled with the NP. The dr. never said, during our initial consultation, that his Nurse Practitioner would take over my care after surgery. Not that I have any issue with that overall, but I fail to see how his follow up is better then surgeons in Mexico. Assumption that surgeons in Mexico or any other country outside of the U.S. are substandard is full blown arrogance!