Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does a gym REALLY make a difference vs working out at home?

A gym is too far away and I hate going to it especially when it's crowded! So I prefer working out at home. I have some gym equipment at home already, a cross trainer, weights machine, bench, weights and a treadmill. I have bought some exercise DVDs - not normally my cup of tea, but it has bought a variety so I don't get bored! Furthermore I get some at home exercise ideas from here and blogilates. And since I'm working out at home every second day, I have noticed I feel better and I'm happier.

this has been a really good thread to read with all the different viewpoints. Just a quick story about fitness equipment at home. 3 1/2 years ago, I had open heart surgery. it was a wake up call for getting into shape. So after doing cardiac rehab for 6 months, I invested in a elliptical that I so dearly loved riding. Bought a really nice on like they had at cardiac rehab.......for $7500. I kid you not.....I used it for maybe 6 or 7 times. I slipped off it one day and broke my foot and never got on it again. Last month, I sold it for $4700 and that's how paid to have my sleeve done and for all my other expenses to get to Mexico.

good stories everyone. keep your opinions coming! i am still in the 'deciding' mode. i am looking into different membership options.

I personally need the gym for accountability. I change into workout clothes and stop at the gym before going home. My gym, a small Anytime Fitness, will actually call if you stop showing up. I got the call early in my membership when I missed 10 days in a row. I loved that. The staff knows you by name, and there's a comradery between the regulars. I love my personal trainer and the 3xs a week boot camp I joined. You mentioned building strength, and I don't believe I'd be lifting half of what I do without the motivation and routine my gym membership provides me.

It depends on the person. I joined a gym because I needed Water aerobics due to arthritis in my left knee. My knee doesn't bother me as much anymore, but I find I prefer taking classes versus solo exercises. I do have hand weights at home and will work out using On Demand feature on tv. However if you cannot afford a gym membership, it's not a necessity. The point is to figure out how to get exercise in whether it's walking regularly or anything else. What I do recommend is an activity tracker. Especially one that reminds you if you have been inactive too long.

Edited by Blerdgirl

I like the gym because I work harder there than at home. Also, working with a personal trainer at the gym has taught me a huge amount about how to use weights for maximim benefits. Lastly, I very much enjoy Pilates on a reformer machine.

However, as long as you'll push yourself to improve, home excercise is fine.

Do whatever you'll do basically.

If you can consistently work out at home, that's fine. I personally need the gym and that means getting up and going at 530 every morning. Get your routine set and stick to it.

The point is to be consistent with your work out. I also advise people to look for specials online. From chatting with people at my gym (LAFitness), I find that those who walk in get sold more expensive contracts. I joined my gym when they had a special online It was $8.95 per week, I have my account set up online and I just go in and pay it $36 each month. This is for full access to all gyms. I have gone on vacation with my family, looked up the nearest gym and been able to work out while away. One woman in one of the support groups at my hospital said they quoted her $80 when she called.

I think gym is better than a home exercise because at home we do not follow daily workout so that our fitness effect with it and a gym is a place where we will go for only and only for exercise.

I have a recumbent bike at home but find that I usually avoid using it so I recently joined an inexpensive gym for motivation and also as a way to get out of the house and have some me time. I already planned a weekly schedule for going. I already go to a local yoga studio once a week to get a yoga class in and do their free meditation classes Sunday mornings.

If you're going to do it at home consistently then go for it! Put the money you would spend on a membership and gas on a set of weights....or just work out with some gallon Water jugs! Kettle bells are good for home too. But whatever is best for you and whatever you are actually going to do, do that!

Just adding my experience for a slightly different take because you specifically mentioned weights. In the beginning, I worked out at home. I have some dumbbells, a kettle bell, and did a lot of body weight exercises. Fast forward a year and I now work out at home only 2 days a week because unless I want to invest in a full weight set, I can't lift heavy enough at home. I'm no 'she-hulk' but I know that the key to looking toned is to build muscle.

Right now, I walk with my trainer (the dog) -- right out the front door, over hill and dale (we live i the country.

AND when it's raining or too cold, I use the home treadmill and the home NuStep machine.

AND three times a week I go to Water aerobics class and splash around like a four-year-old. Love it!

Eventually, I've got to hit the weights. Eventually ....