Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If you went to mexico for your gastric sleeve surgery, who was your doctor and how much did it cost?

I have no idea why anyone would advocate Dr. Almanza. From the horror stories I've read, I don't understand why @@Quasimoto51 would say that.

because I went to Dr Almanza, and had a good experience, and losing weight, that is why I would say that. Are you trying to say that no other doctors performing Sleeve surgery have had problems? Im not trying to endorse anyone, or advocate, just sharing a story, which is what this particular topic asks. That is why I posted in this forum!

because I went to Dr Almanza, and had a good experience, and losing weight, that is why I would say that. Are you trying to say that no other doctors performing Sleeve surgery have had problems? Im not trying to endorse anyone, or advocate, just sharing a story, which is what this particular topic asks. That is why I posted in this forum!

All surgeons have complication rates, but Dr. Almanza's are much too high to my liking. Also, not very long ago this site cut off ties with him because of his shady practices. I would hate for someone to book him and have an unfavorable outcome.

I apologize, I am familiar with complication rates which were 1 percent for leaks, and one percent for infection? my surgery was 4400, I paid cash, which dropped it to 4200. Again, I have read online several different companies in Tijuana having complications and issues. In the end, you make a decision based on how you feel. I was scared, not because I was afraid of dying on the table, but afraid of the unknowns. I have followed everything to the letter from the doctor, and have had no complications. He provided a tool for my use. I would hate anyone to book anywhere and have a unfavorable outcome, but as you are aware out of the 1000 upon 1000's of procedures done in the states they have a staple line leaks at 2.1% of patients on average. Which raises to between 1.09% and 4.66%. And that is in the States!! While Dr Almanza was featured in an American news story, he was only one of 100's of doctors performing this surgery spoken about. Everyone of the companies who offer the process, have issues, it is inevitable with the volume of American and Canadian medical tourists using facilities in Tijuana. Again, and finally for the last time, not once have I endorsed anyone, and the idea of anyone going under knife is terrifying, however, making a comment on something I experienced is all I am doing, which is what the person who started this thread asked. Who did you go and see? Who are you advocating, because I bet I can dig up some complain on them as well, because that's what I did when I chose to go to this doctor. My personal choice, and again, not advocating him, or the sleeve in general.

I apologize, I am familiar with complication rates which were 1 percent for leaks, and one percent for infection? my surgery was 4400, I paid cash, which dropped it to 4200. Again, I have read online several different companies in Tijuana having complications and issues. In the end, you make a decision based on how you feel. I was scared, not because I was afraid of dying on the table, but afraid of the unknowns. I have followed everything to the letter from the doctor, and have had no complications. He provided a tool for my use. I would hate anyone to book anywhere and have a unfavorable outcome, but as you are aware out of the 1000 upon 1000's of procedures done in the states they have a staple line leaks at 2.1% of patients on average. Which raises to between 1.09% and 4.66%. And that is in the States!! While Dr Almanza was featured in an American news story, he was only one of 100's of doctors performing this surgery spoken about. Everyone of the companies who offer the process, have issues, it is inevitable with the volume of American and Canadian medical tourists using facilities in Tijuana. Again, and finally for the last time, not once have I endorsed anyone, and the idea of anyone going under knife is terrifying, however, making a comment on something I experienced is all I am doing, which is what the person who started this thread asked. Who did you go and see? Who are you advocating, because I bet I can dig up some complain on them as well, because that's what I did when I chose to go to this doctor. My personal choice, and again, not advocating him, or the sleeve in general.

I'm not criticizing you for picking Dr. Almanza. As you've stated, you claim you knew about all his horror stories upfront. Just because you turned out okay does not mean the next patient will. And we're not talking about leak complication rates. Critically ill patients have been left at the border by Dr. Almanza and his staff because they were "too sick". Others are in comas. This isn't a joke!

My surgeon was Dr. Fernando Garcia Govea, and the total cost was $4250 with $500 paid as a deposit in advance and the balance paid with a cashier's check after I checked into the hospital. I'd debated having the single incision surgery which would have added another $1000, but decided against it because I felt like there weren't significant advantages. Scars tend to fade to nearly invisible on me with time. I only spoke with him a couple a times, but he was lovely. I felt very taken care of by the attentive staff. On the day of surgery I was nauseous and vomiting. I really felt surprisingly minimal pain or discomfort the next day. I was actually told that I was walking too fast in my laps. My room was clean, spacious, and nice. I brought an inexpensive HDMI cable to hook up my laptop to the TV to watch movies. I slept through most of them, but my parents who were with me enjoyed them. The only negative about CER was that it's under construction and there's also construction going on right next door. It can be very loud during the day; I'm surprised I slept so much despite that, but I did have earplugs and travel size sound machine I'd brought with me (because of never been able to sleep in hospitals in the past due to typical noises) which helped.

The Marriott was pleasant and attentive, and the staff took very good care of me and my parents who stayed there every night while I was in the hospital. They provided transpiration to the hospital and back every day for them, and also took them to nearby shopping center. They also picked us up in San Diego, and returned us there at the end of the stay. Having the medical lane pass cut down on the time to get across the border significantly. It's not an opulent hotel, but it's clean and comfortable, and our rooms were very peaceful and quiet. On the 10th floor there's an executive lounge that serves Breakfast in the morning and hors d'oeuvres in the evening that included simple sandwiches, pastries, and such. My parents ended up having most of their meals there for the sake of simplicity, so that cut down on overall costs. They had lunch a couple of times at the small cafe at CER. My hotel stay was included in the total package, but since my parents had their own room the whole time they of course had to pay that themselves. The rate through Tijuana Bariatrics was $95 I believe. It would have been more expensive if they'd booked it on their own. Soccer players were staying at the hotel for a match that weekend, so the rates had gone up due to supply and demand. On the last day we were there a CNN Sports reporter and his crew were interviewing the soccer players in the lobby while we were waiting for the van to take us back across the border. Little kids staying there were excited, so it was cute to see.

I had the surgery on August 18, and have lost 11 pounds since then. This is more than expected since my BMI was "only" 30. My bruises are all gone and I'm healing well. I'm pleased overall with the experiences and the results thus far.

Not a joke? I am not sure where you get the impression that anything I have said is a laughing matter? This whole discussion was who did you have, where did you go how much did it cost! I answered the question ,and you continue to try and poke at me, like I should apologize for going to Dr Almanza! You are right about one thing, deciding to go for an operation like the gastric sleeve, is not a joking matter, it should be taken serious. Choosing your doctor, should require you to search the topic and the doctor. Yes, I read about the lady in the coma, one lady in a coma, who reacted to the anesthesia, and I also read about the gentleman who claims that he was taken from the hospital by van, to the Tijuana border and dumped. Here was my experience. I flew to San Diego, was met by a van with a couple other patients in the van, it was clean, and the driver was polite. Drove to our hotel, the next day we met with the doctor, and for the sake of avoiding another attack, lets call the doctor, Bob! Bob meets with the group and explains how the operation works, then we see a cardiologist, and discuss all those things which are discussed prior to arrival, like what are you allergic too, we wait, taken to a room, were we are given our IV, taken to the operating room, and then bamm, it is done, 45 minutes later. An xray to make sure there is no leak prior to bringing you out, monitored for 24 hours in a clean hospital. Then taken by van back to the hotel where you are monitored, and checked continuously, given a cocktail of antibiotics, incisions checked, drain checked. Two days later, a second leak test, your taken to the Tijuana border, and then you cross back into the states and away you go back to whatever place you call home. But it doesn't stop there, then you receive almost daily emails and phone calls from weight loss agents in the states, the company which endorses Dr Bob! Now, and for the last time, so everyone who is reading this understands. I went to Mexico, and had Dr Bob perform my surgery. My experience was very good, and for the sake of AngelaWilliams, who would never go to see Dr Bob, I am not advocating Dr Bob, or any other doctor to perform this operation, nor do I think that you go see my doctor or the one that AngelaWilliams saw, because it is a serious life choice and you should be forewarned that complications do happen, and yes AngelaWilliams, some doctors have a higher rate then others when it comes to these operations. I want to apologize to the person who started this forum. I wanted to share my story to you so you understand what it was like. NO one should influence you with negative comments. It is a life checking and changing event which you are undertaking, it is a tool, and so you are aware, yes, there are doctors out there, who have bad reps, and the doctor I went to see, as you can tell has a bad rep, much like 100's of other doctors, who are making a huge amount of money off the desperation of people like myself. Choose wisely because god forbid, if you choose someone, that someone on this forum disagrees with. AngelaWilliams, I am a 51 year old man, who for the first time in his life has a grip on weight loss, I have lost a total of 28 pounds in less then 30 days, and you know what, the only thing the doctor did was cut out my stomach. I have done the rest on my own, and following the directions of the doctor. It is not a joking matter, it is a serious life choice, and I knew who I was choosing, thank you for all your input, but for the love of all that is holy, stop attacking me because of who I saw, because not once, and I will say this again, not once have I said golly he was the bomb!!

I went to Tijuana and used Dr Jesus Martin Lopez Dominguez through Bariatric Pal. I rate my experience a 15 out of a possible 10. Yes he does suture over the staples. My total cost was just over $4,000 including airfare. Now I will say that I booked mine while they were having a special, so it may be s little more right now. The doctor is very talented and attentive. He made house calls while I was in Mexico and was eager and thorough to answer all of my questions. His staff was amazing also and the Bariatric Pal staff was so professional and pleasant. I highly recommend all of them

@@samw I believe I'm going to see Dr Hidalgo, not for a sleeve but for gastric bypass. Was the facility clean? Is it safe to travel alone?

@@samw I believe I'm going to see Dr Hidalgo, not for a sleeve but for gastric bypass. Was the facility clean? Is it safe to travel alone?

• @xSetLikeFlintx
  • yes the hospital is great, modern, very clean and state of the art, they had everything I needed and the nurses were so friendly. Also the doctors on the floor were very nice as well. I was well treated at the CMQ Premiere.

Edited by samw

Thank you so much for the quick reply @@samw

That really eases the anxiety a little Pray a successful surgery and safe return for me

Thank you so much for the quick reply @@samw

That really eases the anxiety a little Pray a successful surgery and safe return for me

@SetLikeFlintx you will do great and you will LOVE Dr. Hidalgo, he is the best.