Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just wondering who else has sleep apnea. I am pre-band, and have been trying to using a bipafor 2 years with no success.

evilah

Just wondering who else has sleep apnea. I am pre-band, and have been trying to using a bipafor 2 years with no success.

evilah

I have sleep apnea. I don't know what a bipafor is. I use a CPAP. For me the hard thing to get used to was the mask. I now use the "swift" mask that just brings the air to your nose but does not cover up your face and give that claustrophobic feeling. If your problem is getting used to the mask, you might want to try some of the lighter masks that are out there now that don't cover your face.

I will say that now that I am used to it I would not want to sleep without it. I had no idea how much the sleep apnea was harming me until I started using the CPAP. I would stop breathing at night for long periods of time, and wake up constantly. It was really hard on my heart. If there is any way you can get yourself to use that machine, you may find that you really start to feel better. I really do feel better from using it.

Good luck

I have severe obstructive sleep apnea...I've used a CPAP for about 3 years now. Even though I'm down 105 lbs, I'm still using it as I have more weight to lose and I'm not ready to give it up yet. I think many people who are overweight have sleep apnea.

What is a bipafor?

I was just reading Mark's post...when I went in to the hospital for my sleep study I was falling asleep during conversations, at the computer, at the wheel...

During my test I quit breathing for a whole 2 minutes except for a quick breath...I quit breathing 183 times in 88 minutes. I was very sick. My CPAP has saved my life. I wear the mask, but I'm used to it...just call me "Mama Vader" LOL!

I think the OP was trying to say been using a BiPAP for...

By golly, I think you're right. Perhaps you're not so tired tonight after all.

a bipafor is typo that should read "bipap" for.. A bipap is similar to a cpap but uses to different levels of pressure for inspiration and expiration.

I know my heart is suffering damage from the sleep apnea, it scares the hell out of me, but I tried mask after mask. First cpap machine then bipap machine and I would rip it off at night unconsciously. I would wake up in a panic feeling like I couldn't breath and start tearing at the neck of my night shirt and yanking at the mask. I always felt like someone was choking me, I never fell into a deep sleep with the machine. I had it adjusted over and over and over and over. I was pregnant when I started using it but I haven't lost much of the 70 pounds I gained during pregnancy. I know I still have apnea and the only choice was to do another sleep study. What's that going to solve? I don't know. I try the machine for a few nights until I'm exhausted and can't sleep, then lose it, and try again ... it gets old.

I explain to them that what happens is that my breathing gets really shallow (my husband watches this) after I fall asleep initially, then I gasp to take a big breath (which is what happens with sleep apnea) and when I gasp for breath I can't suck it out of the machine. I begged the doctor to crank my pressure up higher and higher and higher, but he wouldn't. He said it's already high. So, that's how it went with that. Everyone in my family has sleep apnea, and they told me my pressure is high. So I believe my doctor. I just don't understand why I still breathe shallow and gasp with the machine on (no leaks, nothing obviously wrong, etc.) When you have a baby, there's just not enough time or babysitters to be running off to the clinic for the 15th 16th 17th time to get readjusted, examined, pondered over. It makes me so hardcore angry. Anyway, I've always gained and lost weight my whole life, but since I started have sleep apnea I haven't lost any weight, and my pregnancy shoved me into the "fat enough to have sleep apnea" range.

*sigh*

evilah

I picked up my CPAP machine two days ago. My diagnosis of OSA was a primary reason for getting the band. My co-morbidities are mounting and I had to take a stand finally.

This is a great thread.... I was gonna start one of these myself...

Ericsmom....do you have to have your air pressure adjusted as you lose the weight.. I have noticed a difference in the way the CPAP is working now even after 30 pounds lost...I feel like the air pressure is way too high and now it keeps waking me up because it is too high and forcing my mouth open..which never happened before the 30 pound loss.

Also,

Evilah, How do you get any sleep now without using the machine. Do you still wake up gasping for air or is it only when you are using the machine? Deanna

I started a thred early on regarding sleep apnea. I never had a clue I had it till the pulm. dr had me take a sleep study. Imagine my surprise when they said I had moderate apnea. Although I couldn't believe it, when I started ready up on it it actually made sense. I do not have a CPAP machine yet. I actually go tonight for my 2nd sleep study where I get to wear the dreaded mask. I'm anxious to see what difference it makes. Just one question, when you sleep with the mask, do you have to sleep on your back or is there no problem with side sleeping? I'm a side and stomach sleeper.

I started a thred early on regarding sleep apnea. I never had a clue I had it till the pulm. dr had me take a sleep study. Imagine my surprise when they said I had moderate apnea. Although I couldn't believe it, when I started ready up on it it actually made sense. I do not have a CPAP machine yet. I actually go tonight for my 2nd sleep study where I get to wear the dreaded mask. I'm anxious to see what difference it makes. Just one question, when you sleep with the mask, do you have to sleep on your back or is there no problem with side sleeping? I'm a side and stomach sleeper.

Some masks are better than others for this. Have a look on the internet at the "Mirage Swift" mask. There are a few of this type that are light and just bring the air to your nose without covering your face. With this type of mask it is easier to sleep in positions besides on your back. The will probably not have one of these for your sleep study, but I'm not sure. Just keep in mind that there are better options if you find the mask intolerable at the sleep study.

I had sleep apnea. I used a CPAP for about 2 weeks. I hated it! I am a stomach sleeper. Those 2 weeks I used it I didn't sleep a wink! I had my tonsils, adenoids and a UP3. (UP3: the removal of the uvula which is the "punching bag" in back of the throat, and removal of parts of the soft palate.) The UP3 worked wonders! I sleep so well now. I even dream, which before didn't happen much.

I too was diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea, which was far from surprising considering I was snoring louder than a trucker. I was given the cpap machine and used it for about a week before surgery. After the surgery it made me nauseous so I never used it after surgery. My boyfriend told me a couple weeks ago that I'm so quiet when I'm sleeping, he hasn't heard me snore in over a month. I've only lost 30lbs, but most of the weight came off my chest, neck, face, upper body area. I think that has helped a lot! The doc told me that even after you lose weight, the pressures on the machine can go down with weight loss until the apnea is gone.

I just called my doctor today to get my pressure turned down. I have only lost 30 pounds, but now it is way to high. I sleep on my stomach too, and somehow I have been fine with the mask..I guess I am just used to it now..I have had my CPAP since July 05. I am really looking forward to NOT having to use it anymore..CPAP burning party at my house...watch for details....YIPPPEEEE!!! Deanna

The Tiara mask is also good for a side sleeper. My husband tried the Swift and though it was a nice mask, it just didn't work for his neck positions. There's soooo many options out there.