Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where are the November Sleevers?

Hi Toccora.

I was sleeved back in October and I have to agree with u, I have this new ailment of acid reflux as we'll and I've NEVER had any problems with that before. Hopefully it's just temporary. I am on week 5 post-op and eating solids now and one would think all of those lil issues would have subsided by now. For the last two days I've been taking Prevacid and have had no heartburn/reflux at all. You have to take one pill a day for 14 days of the Prevacid, so kinda wondering will the reflux come back after the 14 days.

Thank you, even though I don't wish this on anyone it is good to know I am not alone here. I have my 2-week follow-up this coming week and I am going to ask my surgeon because all my prescriptions were mailed to me prior to my surgery and it included a 2-month supply of Pepcid with refills available. I hope you are doing great otherwise. I feel fundamental and the pounds are falling off. Even if this is long-term it is a small price to pay for what I have gained/lost. Wishing you well on this journey!!!

I'm Happy to hear everyone is doing well so far! Very exciting! I've been following your progress and it's getting me excited.

I leave tomorrow by plane to Victoria to have surgery on Wednesday. I have to be there 2 days early for a anesthesiologist consultation, blood work and chest X ray. Then I'll have all day Tuesday to be a tourist and Wednesday is the BIG day!

I'm a little sad that my hubby can't come. But it's too hard arranging babysitters when the kids have school and what not. Plus I don't really want to uproot them and change their daily lives too much because I already won't be there, and that's bad enough!

So I'm hoping I will be okay to do this on my own, and that the fight back will be okay. It's only 1 hour 37 minutes.... so I hope I can sit alone and have some space.

When I get home I will only be off for 10 days, and back to work on December 11th!

*Has anyone gone back to work yet? If so, how was the adjustment and how we're you feeling?

Sheena :-)

Hi Sheena. I went back to work 10 days after surgery. I did that because I only have two weeks paid sick time off. If I had to do it all over again I would've taken at least two more weeks off. I was tired and felt drained which surprised me because I have a desk job. I thought I could do it but it wasn't good. By the time I got home from working 8 hours I could barely stay OUT of bed, let alone cook dinner and spend time with my family. Honestly it was rough the first 3 weeks after surgery for me. I know everyone is different, this was just my experience. I am now on solid foods, 5 weeks post-op and it has gotten a whole lot better. Make sure u get all your Vitamins, liquids and Protein in after surgery. It is very hard to get it all in with your small new belly but it's key in helping you feel half-way back to your normal self sooner than later.

How long did everyone stay on a liquid diet after surgery? When were you allowed to add other food?

How long did everyone stay on a liquid diet after surgery? When were you allowed to add other food?

I did Clear Liquids one week then full liquids the second week. I added puréed food the third week but decided to keep drinking a Protein Shake for Breakfast to meet my Protein requirements.

I did clear liquids one week then full liquids the second week. I added puréed food the third week but decided to keep drinking a Protein Shake for breakfast to meet my Protein requirements.

You had the sleeve done? My doctor said 3 weeks liquid, 3 weeks puree and then solid foods. Im dying for the pureed stage already and want to move forward

I had to do 2 weeks prior and 2 weeks after surgery. Then 2 weeks pureed foods.

My program requires us two weeks liquids. 2 weeks purée

You had the sleeve done? My doctor said 3 weeks liquid, 3 weeks puree and then solid foods. Im dying for the pureed stage already and want to move forward

Yes, I had the sleeve 11/3. The post op plan was basically:

Week 1 - clear liquids

Week 2 - full liquids

Week 3 - puree

Week 4 - soft foods

Week 5 - add back normal foods one at a time to gauge tolerance

However, post op plans vary widely surgeon to surgeon so make sure you follow what your surgeon told you! It's better to be safe than sorry.

My program says 3 day clear liquids, then 14 days full liquids, then I get to move to puréed foods. My puréed foods start on 12/1. I am counting down the days!! liquid diet is hard, but since I'm sorta terrified of messing up my healing stomach, I'm not cheating. ????

I'm going back to work tomorrow, which is about 10 days post-op. It's a short week for me because of the holiday, and I have a desk job, so I'm hoping it goes all right.

Edited by sprocket

I went back to work after 7 days. I was going stir crazy and my team was going through a restructure and I wanted to be there to support my employees. I was very tired everyday. I took it easy, shorter days and lighter workload. It was good to get back in the groove. I did have to work from home the day when my bowels finally broke.

However, post op plans vary widely surgeon to surgeon so make sure you follow what your surgeon told you! It's better to be safe than sorry.

This is a good point. I'm always amazed at the variation. Do you guys think the post-op diet part will ever become standardized? It seems odd to me that with all the dietitians and nutritionists and surgeons involved in bariatrics that there hasn't been some sort of gold standard plan agreed on.

Edited by sprocket

I am 3 weeks of liquids then soft foods.

My program requires us two weeks liquids. 2 weeks purée

This is a good point. I'm always amazed at the variation. Do you think the post-op diet part will ever become standardized? It seems odd to me that with all the dietitians and nutritionists and surgeons involved in bariatrics that there hasn't been some sort of gold standard plan agreed on.

You would think. But I think that they give a "general" guide and then it is personalized with the followup visits. I see some people with no complications and no intolerances being advanced to the next stage early. On the flip side there are some who barely tolerate liquids and it seems they really struggle and spend more time recovering and moving through the stages.

Then again I had my surgery in Mexico so I'm a little more on my own. Thankfully I've had no complications or food intolerances but I've been super careful and pay a lot of attention to my body and how I feel.