Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should I have this surgery?

A week ago I was dead set on this surgery. Now I am having doubts.

I have been reading a lot of patients discussing complications after a few years.

I am chiefly concerned about having a hernia or bowel obstruction.

Also I am concerned about having Iron deficiencies.

I am wondering if this is an issue with how surgeries were performed five or more years ago and these problems have become less common?

I am doing this to feel great not sicker.

Should I back off? Would you change your mind and NOT have the surgery if you could?

Meow many of you would stay the course?

I am 66 years old. I had a RNY 17 months ago and lost a total of 110 pounds pre-op and post-op. Over the years, I have had two hernia operations. Primarily because I tried to move things heavier than my body could take. One of the reasons why I had the operation was to get my body back in shape. I now have the endurance that I had when I was 35. During the last couple months I have been hard at work on my latest construction project. As a result, I have moved 100,000 pounds of gravel and 50,000 pounds of cement blocks by hand. To do this I had to lift 70 buckets of gravel chest high and 80 pound blocks over my head. I took my time and used proper lifting techniques. No sign of hernia.

My RNY took away many of my medical conditions: high blood pressure, diabetes, sleep apnea, heart burn, frequent urination. I feel good and would repeat the operation in a heartbeat.

@bellabloom It's a tough question that only you can answer. Yes, people do have complications, yes, sometimes you become Iron deficient, yes, sometimes people have bowel obstructions or hernias.

You have to weigh the risks of surgery against your health risks without the surgery. I had bowel obstructions before surgery twice. I had pneumonia just after surgery but haven't had other complications since. I just got my 3 month lab work and seems I have developed an Iron deficiency so I'm gonna have to deal with that now.

However, I had sleep apnea before and it's completely gone. My blood pressure is MUCH better than before (never was on meds). I have NO reflux at all ever any more. What a relief that is. I'm running now, exercising like the Energizer bunny and wear a size 6 jeans (and I'm not even at goal yet). I feel like a reinvented version of myself where the way I feel inside (young, active, excited to be alive) matches with the outside.

Would I do the surgery again? Absolutely! Even with the iron issue now, I'm on less meds and healthier than I was presurgery with at least 70 pounds of excess weight on my body.

I am almost 2 months out, I feel great! I am 49 and was feeling lethargic daily and started not wanting to do a lot of things because of my weight and looks. I am 44 lbs down and my energy level is very high. I have had some orthopedic surgeries (knee and ankle) and they are not bothering me even though I am more active. It is hard work to find things to eat and learn how to eat incredibly slowly along with pacing eating and drinking throughout the day, but no other diet has ever worked this well for me ever. I am taking my Vitamins twice a day and trying to eat foods that will give more more nutrients whenever possible. I do miss salads and some other things, but the benefits outway the inconveinances. I had some "buyers remorse" immediatley after surgery for the first week wondering what I had done, but after I got my energy level back I have not had that feeling again. I feel 10 years younger :)

If you have health problems or forsee them in your future because of your weight, this surgery is life expanding and should be considered especially if you have insurance to cover it today. I could have waited since I did not have diabetes or a heart condition yet, but I got the insurance coverage this year and know that many will not offer it so I took a leap of faith and did it. I am so glad I did. I am looking better but more importantly feeling so much healthier than I have in a long time!

I completely agree with the other two posts. RNY has saved my life. That may sound dramatic, but its the truth. I was walking down a road that would have led to my early death. Now I am VERY healthy. No more co-morbidities - they are all gone. My joint pain is completely gone. I exercise every day. I have more energy than I know what to do with. Life could not be better. Would I do it again - absolutely! I only wish I had done it sooner. I am a 5'2", 49 year old woman who started the journey at 331 pounds and I currently weigh 125 pounds. My surgery was on 6/25/2013. I have not had one complication - not even dumping. Good luck with your choice.

Carol

Great posts, especially as I am scheduled to see the surgeon next Monday and hopefully pick a date for surgery. I have not wavered due to this process being tremendously long (10 months). As I get closer to the date, I do start to struggle with the decision to alter my digestive system.

Thank you everyone. This is a great thread as I feel there are a lot of people trying to make this huge decision and getting freaked out by all the negative experiences on the web. If course we all want to hear this is going to help us get healthier, not exchange one set of problems for another.

I am still not sure what I am going to do but I have been surprised at the amount of support I have been getting. Imam going to stay the course and see if my insurance will approve me.

One theme I have seen overwhelmingly in the threads is that this is a lifelong commitment. Those who away from their Vitamin regime or don't follow the rules do end up with complications. I think if I donut I want to be sure I can be 100 percent in and it's a lifestyle I can live with long term.

If anyone else had experienced to relate, please add them here. It's nice to see so much information gathered in one place!

I am 4 months out down 57 and would do it again and again. I feel amazing. Honestly to me any complications are better than living with the morbid obesity hanging over my head. I would have definitely died from some obesity related disease. I am 25 pounds from my normal bmi and loving life.

I went through the same doubts shortly before my surgery. Started getting cold feet, worried I'd end up with long term issues that I wouldn't have had if I'd not gotten surgery. But, I'm over two months out (wouldn't exactly call myself a veteran though☺) and I almost feel like having surgery was a dream. No complications, no issues, no regrets. The only difference is that my lifestyle has changed. I no longer feel that hunger I had before, like I was starving. I eat much smaller portions and feel satisfied. I don't eat fattening and sugary foods. And, I'm down 48 pounds so far. It is a lifelong commitment if you want to stay successful. But, that's why all the other diets fail right? At least for me. The surgery makes it a lot easier to make long term lifestyle changes. I was afraid I'd miss so many of my favorite foods, but I don't. Everyone is different and no one can guarantee no complications. But, the complications are rare. Talk to your surgeon, go to a support group meeting. Those things helped ease my mind before surgery and I'm happy I went through with it. ☺

I had the rny gastric bypass in August of '05. Initially lost 136 pds have gained back about 15 but have also had two children and preg with a third. Wouldn't change my decision for anything. If you are a sugar junkie or carb junkie like I was the rny is the BEST SURGERY period. Yes I am anemic but ultimately I am 100 times healthier than I was and if u stay on top of your Protein with food and take ur Vitamins religiously ur good. post-245482-14214973939763_thumb.jpg post-245482-14214974090637_thumb.jpg

I'm very early out 2 weeks and one thing I did not prepare myself for was the loss of food as my comfort, my friend ,my time killer, my enjoyment.

I'd say I'm in a period of regret and mourning food badly. But I know it was/is for me health.

I'm already of insulin so that is a huge milestone.

I am 4 months out down 57 and would do it again and again. I feel amazing. Honestly to me any complications are better than living with the morbid obesity hanging over my head. I would have definitely died from some obesity related disease. I am 25 pounds from my normal bmi and loving life.

update! I am just over a year out and am below my goal weight which was a normal BMI no complications and I'm healthier than I have ever been!!!

I did have the surgery. I had some pretty nasty complications, some of which I am still dealing with.

I've lost from 250 to 138 in six months. I look amazing and I have no regrets in spite of the complications. This is the best choice I ever made for myself. Because a month of living in this body is better than years of living in my old one!

post-235696-1433899356831_thumb.jpg post-235696-14338993655608_thumb.jpg

The best thing I ever did for myself was roux en y gastric bypass. I will never regret it. If you are committed to becoming healthier through weight loss, if you've tried dieting without success, if you want to make a BIG change, then you should do it. I am six years out and I honestly believe that I would be dead if it weren't for my surgery. No regrets here.

Thank god I had this surgery and I would do it again without question!!