Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Good day to all:

I am seriously considering the lapband since I have a lot of weight to lose. I visited both clinics (TLBC and Dr. Colbourn) and I need to make my decision on a clinic soon.

For those of you who have been banded - did you find that your own MD tried to discourage you from being banded or where they quite supportive? My nurse at work advised me not to do it since the long-term success rate is not that great vs by-pass/stapling surgeries.

Just curious.

I would pretty much ignore what the nurse said, and research it yourself, the stats are very similar for long term success, and in fact may be opposite what she led you to believe. It WILL take longer to get to a goal weight, and you will have to do some work on it yourself---but it is entirely possible to lose, and maintain that loss with banding.

My PCP Dr. was quite encouraging---he in fact has spoke with me about having his wife see the surgeon I used.

There is a lot of information out there---settle in, and research away----you know you best, you know if you can follow the necessary dietary changes for the short term. Read through this site, and look into some of the others, and weigh (pun intended) your options. Keeping in mind, that these forums, have an unbalanced complication rate. Many people don't come to post, unless they are having problems. The ones without issues, are not as frequent of posters usually.

Ask any questions you have----lots of friendly people here!

Welcome to LBT!

Kat

Yup, what Kat said. The studies DO show that the results are equal to gastic bypass (ie. after 5 yrs). Yes, it takes longer but the results are equal and, more importantly the surgery is easier, less invasive, less complications (no actual "cutting") and is adjustable.

You really do have to do your own research so you have your own peace of mind. Don't believe what that nurse said.

As for our GPs, yes...both ours (mine and Mr Yoda's) were highly supportive.

Good luck.

Ignore what the nurse is telling you. It is apparent that she does not know what she is talking about. Studies are showing that 5 years out there is not a significant differance between bypass vs. band. If she know what she was talking about she would also direct you to the lap-band which has far fewer longterm complications, shorter recovery and fewer complications from surgery.

In terms of my GP, he was really the one that brought up surgery as an option for me, and we had origionally applied to get a health care covered band here in Alberta. I loooked into the self pay option, and he was really supportive. He is so supportive that he wants me to come in every month so he can see how I am doing and track the results for himself. He has asked me if I would be willing to talk to other people in his practice about it.

Andrew

Mine too! He was supportive of the procedure. He feels it is a good way to go as it is much simpler than the other.

I chose the band for all the usual reasons - 10X lower surgical mortality rate, no bits being removed or rerouted, no malabsorption, reversability

But the biggest incentive for my decision was that the band would always be there for me. I don't want to regain the weight I lose, and I'm told it is less likely to happen with the band if we keep at appropriate fill levels.

It will be slower to lose, but my greatest hope is that it will stay off.

My Doctor did not know a lot about the surgery so she asked me about it when I told her I wanted to go through with it. After answering her questions she was satisfied that I at least had answers and had done the research. She knows about my weight history and the attempts at losing in the past so she supports it as long as I am informed of risks and all of that. My surgeon also has sent her updates when I go to his office so she at least has an idea of what he has done. Since my surgery I have gone back to my Dr.'s office and I noticed that she now has information booklets on the LapBand procedure.

Mr Yoda's GP was so interested and supportive, he took all the info down to give to his wife!!!!!

My Dr. wasn't supportive. I never saw her after that time I mentioned it.

"That's for REALLY big people.", and "You just need to stick to 1200cals a day." and "Weight Watchers!? Of course that wouldn't work, they let you eat too much!" I left crying, and never saw that 90lb ho-bag again. Luckily I didn't need her approval or referral. The Dr. I had to see for the pre-op tests/physical was just a clinic Dr., and I doubt he had any idea what I was getting it done for, nor did he care.

It's too bad, I would have like to have someone supportive and interested in keeping track of numbers and such. I have no idea how my levels of so-and-so have changed, and prob. will never get to know. :)

My doctor was very supportive, when I went in and said that I was thinking of getting the band and told him about the info I had gotten, he said that he was glad to hear it and that is exactly what he was going to suggest.I was so happy to hear that . And here I am 8 weeks with the band and 35 lbs gone and no regrets. Do your own research and read a lot of what is on this board, it will be very helpful. All the best on your journey to being thinner.

I don't think they gave an official reason. If you are worried about TLBC service don't worry...you are not a patient of your doctor, you are a patient of the clinic.

My doctor is supportive, but reneged on the fills. I now have a surgeon recommended by TLBC. I will be returning to TO because my port has flipped but for all the right reasons, I would have the band without any reservation whatsoever. I no longer hunger for food, no longer have the crazed out of control feeling. I am loosing about 1/2 lb a week. Not great but at least not a gain. I am a "grazer" and even with the band I can tuck a lot of food away, but with the band, I have help in controlling the out of control times simply because the pouch fills up and hurts if I get too full. Knowing about the band, I would not have gastric by pass unless I had tried the band first. Hope this helps answer a few of the doubts. doddie

I did my own research and read anything i could get my hands on about the surgery and so on.. and i have a client who had gastric bypass done.. so i had a lot of questions answered by her.... and when i asked my family doctor.. the tool that he is told me that there arent many resources for it in ontario and sent me to a dietician... so i went about it on my own.. and i still havent been to the doctor since so he still doesnt know that ive done it