Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

October Surgery Date

Hi Joy59.

You are an inspiration. Raising your two grand daughters is a huge task to take and this surgery will take some recovery time. So glad your daughter is supporting you.

What kind of surgery are you having? I am sure I have seen it in one of your previous posts but I just can't remember.

Our weight height and weight is not too different. What weight goal do you have? I know I have 150lbs on mine but I will be blasting fireworks when I get bellow 200lbs. As you know all the weight exhasts me. There are days I feel like a 80 year old.

Are you supposed to do a two week pre-op diet?

Hi thanks Beni. I am having the gastric bypass. I thought I would be having the sleeve but when I met with the surgeon he recommended the bypass due to type 2 diabetes and insulkn requirements. At first I was really concerned about bypass but the more reading I did and reading of the posts here I am glad he recommended bypass. My surgeon does not require a preop diet just a prep like for a colonoscopy but I have decided to do the two week diet because I kinda fell off the wagon and started eating whatever. Not good so I will do the 2 week liquids for my preparation. My goal is 145. About 10 years ago I lost over 100 pounds and was down to 130 not sure if that is realistic again so 145 and anything less is a bonus. I actually had to move this past year just to move into a one level because I could not do the stairs anymore. I feel sometimes I am depriving the girls of many activities because of my weight it will feel good to want to go to the park and do more then watch, and look for things happening around town without finding every excuse not to go.

Will you be doing the two week diet?

Hi Joy,

My doctor recommended the bypass as well.

I cannot tell you how happy I am to finally find someone with a doctor who only requires the 3 day clear liquid diet. I was about to lose my mind. Mine requires the same. Everyone seems to be doing the 2 week and these two other doctors I saw one required 2 weeks and the other 4 weeks.

I too am thinking of doing the two weeks anyway. I certainly will cut refined sugar. The last thing I want is to go through is sugar withdrawal as I recover.

I do know what you mean with not having energy to do the things you would like to do. I have two boys still at home ages 13 and 16. I feel like I am running out of gas. I used to muscle through with sheer will power but these last two years I have noticed even will power is not enough.

Do you know what to do for the 2 week diet?

I will do full liquids. I also bought the Unjury Protein chicken broth that I will use now too. I will use Protein Shakes to get in 90 gms of protein and 64 oz of fluids. I love Tomato Soup so I will use that ad well. I also bought chai tea bags that are good even without sugar. The smell just makes me relax and feel good. I also have a freezer full of sugarfree icepops but the kids have been eating them more then me they like them better then their s lol. I will start the liquid diet on Monday and surgery the following Tuesday. I keep waiting for something to happen, I wont believr it till I am actually in the OR.

Wow I didnt add all that medical quality Protein it was an autofill very odd how these ads work.

Hi Joy and AuriP!

So glad I got back on this website! I had been on it years ago when I had my band done. So AuriP, You'll have the band removed and have the RXY done all at the same time? The Dr.who removed my band (Not the same one I"ll have for the bypass) said I would have to wait 6 months if I was thinking of having something else done. I wonder why?

Good luck to all of us October gals!

I got to spend the day with my honey, my 20 yr old daughter and her boyfriend. Her birthday is next Wed and we weren't going to be able to get together then, so we planned on going for lunch to a Sushi place and then come home. That was at noon. And we just got home. But guess what we did---something I've never done, and will never do again. Oh my. We had lunch, ate way too much, of course. Sushi--AND and a BLT AND Tomato Soup. We sat there forever chatting. Then we went to get her a winter jacket. Then stood around and chatted for a while longer. It was 3pm by now.Then we decided we needed dessert so we went to Culvers. I just had a single scoop of their custard, but still....We literally sat there for almost 3 hours just talking!! So by then it was 6PM! And we were hungry again! So we drove to the next town and had dinner at a place my daughter is a waitress at. We had pizza, I had 3 pieces! (square cut, not triangles) AND a Long Island Ice tea. Oh my gosh, I am so miserable. I ate way too much for the day.

I cannot wait to NOT be able to eat like that!!

I too, think my kids suffer some because there's activities I either don't want to do, or can't. I'm looking forward to that changing!

Anyway--looking forward to chatting with you all! But I'm heading to bed, so good night!

Sounds like a plan. You will do fine. It's just the pre-op jitters.

The liquid diet seems straight forward: 90 grams of Protein and 64 oz of liquid and whatever else you want in the "Full liquid form."

The 3 day: only Clear liquids without sugar. sugar free Jello, clear broth and the like

I like your chai idea. I'll get some. Please let me know if the Protein shakes are okay. Lots of people hate them. Is the powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken broth nice?

My favorite thing about the OR is how you go in and everyone is busy around you preparing for the surgery and it's all so fascinating. Then, they place a mask on you and the next thing you know you are in a room all done. This is as close to time travel as we'll get ladies. FUN STUFF!

Wow what a day Amy!

Amy what described is what I am alittle concerned about post op almost all socialization is centered atound food. I dont think that will change after surgery, so how do you deal with food everywhere and not finding slider foods. It must have been so much fun spending that time with your daughter and boyfriend.

Beni I only tried a sample of it at a group NUT class and it was pretty good, plus it was warm and savory not sweet at all which I think after surgery will be comforting.

I had to go check out this chicken broth you mentioned. It sounds great!! I think I'll order some. When I was on the liquid diet before, I would mix regular chicken broth with Tomato Soup. It was a nice change from all of the sweet stuff.

When it comes to social eating out, checking out the menu ahead of time and deciding what you're going to order ahead of time always worked well for me. But really, it's all about choices. We can choose the slider foods, or choose what we know we're supposed to have. It's definitely hard though!

I have several friends who've had the bypass and none of them are able to eat junky sweet stuff. (like ice cream, Desserts, etc.) They experience the dumping syndrome when they eat that stuff.

It'll be a learning experience I'm sure!

Beni- I LOVE that part of the OR too!! Time travel, love that!! :-) I hate waking up though....waking up in pain sucks! They put in an epidural when I had my band and slowly let it taper off, so I didn't wake up in pain. I was horribly nauseated though. That was the worst. They tried 3 different meds to relieve it. With my gall bladder removal surgery and the band removal surgery, they put the patch thing behind my ear and wow, what a difference that made! I'll be sure to request that again this time!

Joy,
Yes, the social eating thing is also one of my big worries. For example, I will be 4 weeks post surgery at Thanksgiving. We go to a friends house. She is an extraordinary hostess and goes all out with decor and food. There are at least 20 of us and 20 side dishes besides turkey(s), ham(s) and roast(s). It is an amazing experience worthy of a magazine spread. Martha Stewart doesn't hold a candle to this event. Well, I won't be able to eat a thing at 4 weeks. I may stay home with a last minute case of the flu because I cannot deprive my family of what is the nicest invite of the year. I also go out to lunch with friends a lot. Salads are huge. A 1/2 cup worth of food is so silly of an amount, you can't even pretend you are watching what you eat. I won't be able to clear a 1/4 of the plate. How am I going to handle that? I have no idea!

I do think Amy has a great point on checking out the menu ahead of time. I think it will remove the stress of the decision making process. Someone at a support group meeting said she orders an appetizer, sometimes with a side of steamed vegetables. She also says she focus all of her attention on talking to others at the table. As long as she is talking others don't seem to notice she is eating like a snail. Clever! Another lady said she tries to split meals with a friend. Another that she asks for a take home box and immediately removes half of the food from her plate. This would work with family but I thought it would be odd with friends.

After writing this post I have come up with a mini plan - remember there is always a Protein choice and something vegetable/fruit. Stay away from carbs. No dessert either
1. Invite - focus on helping the hostess and talking. If need be move around the room to different locations. Place a salad on the plate and arrange things to fill plate visually.
2. Out to eat - choose what you are going to order ahead of time. Again talking lots between bites

Look at the bright side ladies, everyone is going to invite us more because we are going to be helpful, talkative and fun, not to mention drop dead gorgeous in our slimmer bodies.

I will remember the patch behind the ears and mention it to my doctor. Sounds like a great idea. I too wake up nauseated.

Hey Amylynns, yes I'm it removed and RNY all at once. My surgeon never specified that he wouldn't be able to do it, my band has not slipped even though I was vomiting daily before the Fluid was let out. I've had fluid out of the band for 7 months now so that might help with inflammation. I guess as long as I don't have extreme scar tissue it should all work out. I have friends that eat like birds and they all have been supportive and knows I'm having the surgery. I'm sure we could find plenty of things that don't revolve around food.< /p>

Beni love your idea of helping the hostess and talking who would notice what uou are eating or not eating lol. I also like the idea of reading the menu ahead of time I actually did start doing that on a smaller scale when trying to get down to my required surgical weight, that and the fitness pal helped alot.

Has anyone had any issues on the pre op diet ? I lost 8 lbs in 2 days which is great , but on the other hand I was up alnight with charley horses in my back , ribs , legs etc.... I hope this soon passes !!!

AuriP--My band had actually moved and caused a hernia and I had ulcers on my esophagus from it, so maybe that was why I was told I'd have to wait.

Karen-- I did the pre-op diet back in 2008 and my only problem was headaches and feeling really shakey around day 3-4. I never had the Charlie horses. :-( Doesn't sound pleasant at all. Are you getting enough Protein in? I wonder if upping that would help.