Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Arthritis people.....

Hi there, my surgeon has no problem with ibuprofen, etc. but I am not taking NSAIDS -- too worried about long-term damage to the digestive track in general but since being banded I feel extremely cautious. But the joint pain, OMG! Recently I did a trial on Cymbalta which is being used in low doses to treat joint pain. I don't tolerate medicine very well, and so even though I do think it was working (but harder to tell in the summer) I went off of it. Behold the roaring return of inflammation and pain! Yesterday I picked up a script for Voltaren Gel, a topical NSAID for hands, feet, knees, elbows -- may not worker for deeper joints, like hips. $40 a tube (big tube) but I'm giving it a try. Any one have experience with this?

My dear Bandista...I am the poster child for arthritis and anti-inflammatories. I'm on Cymbalta 60 mgs. now. It's working very well for me in that my lower back is much better. But I have joint, muscle, and nerve issues still. I was on Neurontin before the Cymbalta and it didn't help at all. I was also on Voltaren 100 mgs. for a very long time but finally went off it a couple of months after the hips were replaced. I am currently taking a med called Duexis. It's a combination pill that includes an anti-inflammatory and Prilosec.

I know that NSAIDS are not a great thing to take long term but any med has risk. You have to determine with your doctor, if the benefit outweighs the risk. Right now, I need to be on the meds because I have some kind of hyper-inflammatory issue going on that they can't seem to diagnose. I see a rheumatologist as well so he can monitor my condition. The current thought is that I have some kind of auto-immune issue going on but they can't figure out what is causing it.

My bariatric surgeon is aware of these meds I'm on but she feels the same way...for me, the benefit outweighs the risk. I'm also not filled and that might have something to do with it. Oh...and I've tried a few topical meds but they never really worked for me. My issues are too severe for that.

If you have any questions about pain or NSAID meds, just PM me. Chances are I've had some type of personal experience with it.

Thanks so much -- I will. Ice works really well for me but youch. We have a ridiculous array of ice packs in the freezer, including wine bottle coolers that work on the tops of my feet. The Voltaren is yet another thing to do -- four times a day. But I'll try anything at this point. Went to an arthritis clinic at Dartmouth a while back and tried a medication that works on the hormonal side. Made me feel strange. Cymbalta, strange. But I'm not giving up! And I need a new rheumatologist. Mine is not the right fit -- okay, I think she's an idiot. Her big advice was not to do yoga. There is a theory that people who were hyper flexible as children have too much mobility in their joints and arthritis moves in. I am a person who has to stretch or I can't move. You should see me walking -- a lot of stretching as I book it. Which is what I'm going to do right now -- off to go walking at the lake with a handful of recruits from dinner last night. 10AM is late for me to get my exercise in but the more the merrier. Have a great weekend, Go Walking : )

Yes..many many ice packs...here and in Florida..lol. Enjoy your walk. I'm battling a cold so no pool for me. Maybe I'll bike a little instead. From what I understand, there are so many auto-immune conditions out there that many of them are undiagnosed and that's the big problem for the rheumatologists. I hope you find someone you can work better with. I've been very lucky in that regard. The pain management doctor I see has recommended many of the doctors/surgeons I see and they have all been top notch. Have a great day today hon!