Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please help, I'm so scared

I am having the bypass Wed. morning and I am really scared. I need to know if others have felt this way or am I just going nuts. I have been on the liver shrink for almost two weeks and it has been tough. I have felt so weak, no hunger, just weak. My emotions have been all over the place. I am scared of dying on the table and leaving my daughter with no parent. She is all I have since my husband died suddenly 6 years ago. I want to live to be healthy and have time with my daughter who lives with me. I am also scared of losing myself, my protection, my fat body. I feel like I am, losing me. I have been very heavy for many years and it is all I know. Crazy as it sounds it has been my best friend because it protects me. I have hated my body and have been ashamed of it, and I want to be healthy, but I am afraid to give up the body that I have known so long. So many people seem to be excited, but I just cry and have so many emotions. I haven't every been familiar with a trim body, a healthy one. I have lost 11 pounds so far on the liver shrink and feel good about that, so I am trying to tell myself that when I lose weight I will feel good, but why is it so hard to let go. Please let me know how you feel, and help me. I am really struggling with all the issues.

Its normal to feel scared or how you're feeling, I would be concerned if you wasn't feeling this way. .I had so many emotions ppl use to scare me I had fear myself had the same thoughts as you what would happen if I don't wake up who will take care of my kids,,..but if this makes you feel better once you go in there with a positive mind and say a prayer before anesthesia quicks in you will see that when you open your eyes it will be all over and done with, it happened to me as I was praying when I opened my eyes it was all done I seen the light and everyone telling me how great I did my surgery took 2hrs and it seemed like it was just 20mins I thanked God and dozed out again.

Fear is our worst enemy I will be praying for you please keep us posted I wish you the best of luck and remember God is with you!!!!!!!

*****Will add you as a friend*****

I am 16 months post op and I do not regret the decision to have gastric bypass surgery RNY. Its a struggle with managing food intake, Vitamin requirements, liquid requirements and Protein. But I have lost 110 pounds and my health has improved dramatically. It took me 6 months after surgery to reach my "happy state", when everything seemed to click. Good luck on your surgery.

I guess its natural to be scared. But if you don't have the surgery and your life is shortened because of it, how will your daughter feel all alone.

My feelings are going the same way...My surgery is the 8th of September...but I don't really talk about it with my Husband...more with my kids and my parents...I guess my readiness is good enough for him.... But my kids and parents was a another story...so many questions...but now since my date is so close everyone is happy and can't wait for it to be over with more than me...so I'm praying hard.....watching you YouTube videos.....reading so many different blogs.... I really understand you state of mind right now....I will add you to my praylist....and ttyl

My feelings are going the same way...My surgery is the 8th of September...but I don't really talk about it with my Husband...more with my kids and my parents...I guess my readiness is good enough for him.... But my kids and parents was a another story...so many questions...but now since my date is so close everyone is happy and can't wait for it to be over with more than me...so I'm praying hard.....watching you YouTube videos.....reading so many different blogs.... I really understand you state of mind right now....I will add you to my praylist....and ttyl

I will be praying for you as well please keep positive,,.I will never regret doing this surgery,...2 weeks after surgery I waa already diabetic free I'm off meds, needles and I feel great I can do things I couldn't do before with my family. I wish you the best of lucm and pleasw keep us posted as well :)

Good Luck with surgery and you WILL do just fine. I wish i would have had this site as a place for answers for my concerns. Keep us posted and up to date with progress and remember every day will get easier with the pain.

Nirby

Thank you so much for responding. It is a big life change. I will try to be positive. At this point I guess I just want it done. All the emotions I have had has been a big surprise to me. I have realized things about myself that I guess I have not dealt with. All the posts I have appreciated more than you know. I will keep you posted. Please keep praying for me and I will for all of you. Thanks

Most welcome and remember we are here for you,..I have faith everything will be ok and will soon see the results, you will start feeling better enjoy your family and enjoy your new healthy life ;)

I too am having bypass surgery on Wed. I'm both excited and nervous. My hubby is scared I won't wake up. I've lost 30 lbs since March on my own and on the preop diet. It gives me hope that the surgery will be successful. Good luck to you!!! I'm sure we'll do fine!

I just want you to know that your feelings are very normal. I am 14 months post RNY. I lost 40 pounds prior to surgery, and was scared to death I would die on the table. It motivated me to be as prepared as I could be for surgery. I sailed right through, had absolutely no complications, was back to work in two weeks. My surgery has been HUGELY successful, and life changing. I have lost over 205 pounds and am maintaining a normal BMI for the first time in my life. I am taking no prescription meds. I can do things with my family that I have never been able to do before. I can not begin to express how it feels to join with my son and husband instead of sitting on the sidelines watching them have fun.

I will always Celebrate June 25th as a second birthday - it was the day my life really started over. I guess in a way I did die on that table. I have buried the 330 pound woman who lived with neck, knee and back pain EVERY day, who had high blood pressure and sleep apnea. She was walking down a path that would have led to her early death. The woman that woke up after surgery is living life to the fullest, the way life is meant to be lived. I wake up every day so incredibly grateful to be living in this healthy body. I am very excited for you! Tomorrow will be a big day in your life!! God bless!

Carol

I agree... I think your feelings are totally normal. I have a mix of excited nerves but I am so ready for this change.

What you are feeling is normal but you deserve to be healthy for yourself and your daughter, the benefits that you gain from being healthy, the mobility as well as the energy that you gain is so well worth it. I am 3 months post opt and I would do my surgery 100 times again. The energy that I have as well as I am off all medications was so worth it, I now can exercise 5 days a week at the gym, something I could have never done prior to surgery as well as I am wearing dress's again something that I have not done in 18 years. You got this stay focus and positive and if you are still having second thoughts after your procedure seek out a therapist sending you prayers, easy recover without complications. Keep us posted on your progress.

I am still going through with it. I go on liquids tomorrow. For us 3rd people I am praying that all will be ok. I get scared of not waking up either. I guess that is a common fear, but that doesn't make it any less fearful does it I have researched this , gone to support groups, and talked to many people who have had this and they all did fine and are glad they had it. I try to keep telling myself that positive healthy things will come out of this. Guess I better do that until they put me to sleep. This forum has been so very encouraging to me. I truthfully don't know what I would do without you guys. Thank you to you all and I wish the best for all of us as we go on life's journey.