Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Same day surgery? Not here :-(

I am scheduled for lap band surgery on the 16th. I'm kind of envious of all the posts I read that say you guys get to go home the same day. My doctor requires a 2 night overnight stay... Who wants to stay in the hospital, when you could 'recover' at home??? I was just curious to see how many of you who had the band placed had to do an over night in the hospital (and how many of you wish you had)....?

I am scheduled for lap band surgery on the 16th. I'm kind of envious of all the posts I read that say you guys get to go home the same day. My doctor requires a 2 night overnight stay... Who wants to stay in the hospital, when you could 'recover' at home??? I was just curious to see how many of you who had the band placed had to do an over night in the hospital (and how many of you wish you had)....?

I'm being banded on Monday--my surgeon requires an overnight stay and some type of swallow test in the a.m. to make sure the band is ok before he discharges you! I wasn't too happy on the overnight stay until I thought about pain meds and uninterrupted sleep--no kids/no hubbie/no dogs....might be kind of nice!

Amy

I was banded on Mon (April 30) and had to stay overnight and have the swallowing study done the next day. I wasn't ready before then, personally. I might should have even stayed two nights.

Insurance required me to stay overnight, followed by a barium swallow the next morning. I was released by 9:00 a.m.

My doc allows the self pay patients to do it as an outpatient but like he said... WHY?????? The dishes can wait til you get home~

i just got back from my meeting with the bariatric coordinator.. I practically BEGGED her to not make me stay the two nights.. (Surgeries are on Wednesdays, discharges are on Friday around noon)...I complete get where you guys are coming from.. but nothing makes me feel better than lying in bed next to DH.... and the two nights away from my kiddos are gonna be torture :-( I would NEVER EVER leave AMA, but I do question why the extended stay.... The coordinator told me that this is how they've been doing it since the clinics inception, and they haven't had a single infection yet, and their post op complications are nearly non existent, so why mess with what's working?.... I guess I see her point... I'll just chalk this up to one more 'sacrifice' to becoming the new me :-)

I was told I would be staying overnight since the hospital was an hour from my home, but I was discharged the same day. I had surgery almost three weeks ago. I wish I would have stayed overnight! It is much easier getting in and out of a hospital bed than your bed at home, and you have almost instant access to pain meds in the hospital. The ride home was bad! Take your time, stay and rest, bring a good book etc. You will not regret it.

My doc told me that I will be staying overnight (1 night). That's fine by me. I will feel much better knowing that I'm in the hospital if something is to go wrong that first night.

I was banded Tuesday, and went home the same day. For myself, it worked well, since I only live a mile from the hospital, and my wife is an RN.

Personally, being in my own bed, and home enviroment worked for me, but I probably would have stayed if my doctor wanted.

I was home 6 hours post op. I woke up being wheeled from recovery to the same day sitting area, I had been in post op observation for an hour, they made me sit up in a chair, gave me some Water, checked my vitals 1000 times, made me pee (which hurt like hell), made me walk, and out thedoor I went! I felt good.

I Came Home Just A Few Hours After Surgery And Did Just Fine....i Would Rather Be At Home, But If You Have To Stay A Couple Of Days, They Will Be Able To Check On You And Make Sure All Is Going Okay...hopefully, This Will Be A Time For You To Heal And Start On Your New Journey....just Try To Relax And Get Ready For A New Bigining....

I went to my consult yesterday and they told me that it would be 1 night overnight with a barium swallow in the am. They are very strict with the staying 1 night whether it is self-pay or insurance pay. I can't wait to be banded. I have done the consult, and 4 months into supervised diet, have psych eval Monay, sleep study Thursday, and regular doc on Monday the 14th. I am hoping maybe by the end of summer?!?!?! Keep your fingers crossed for me.

I want to thank everyone that posts on here. I have researched and researched the lap-band and read 3 books already and have 2 more on their way but this forum is wonderful. So full of information and really encouraging to me because there are so many stories of success and support on here.

When I met with the surgeon yesterday they asked me if I had joined a support group yet and I told them no but that I am a registered user on a couple of lap band support websites. His comment back was 'well you could probably teach me a few things then instead of the other way around.' HAHA

I felt great talking with him and the nutritionist because I truely knew what all they were talking about simply because I have been on here and read so much other information regarding the band.

Anyway, sorry I have been so long winded. I just want each and everyone of you to know how helpful you are to others who are banded or are in the process of trying to be banded. I don't have any others to talk to about this that understand the way people here do. I am so happy for lapbandtalk.com

My husband and I had surgery on the same day, and it was supposed to be outpatient. My procedure was at 7:30 AM, and his was at 10:30 ish. I didn't go home until 9:00 PM that night, and I was in so much pain, I would have rather stayed the night! However, it worked out for the best, because I could not get very comfortable in the hospital beds (it's just impossible to pull yourself up and get your butt in the fold of the bed when someone has poked around in your innards!), so I slept much better at home in our reclining rocker.

Hubby ended up staying the night, but he had difficulty getting any kind of fluids down, and had severe shoulder pain from the anesthesia. The nurse nixxed the doctor's request to send him home, because she didn't feel comfortable sending him home before be could eat. He went home the next day around 10 AM.

Honestly, a day or two may give you more of a chance to rest. I know most of us would rather be home, especially if we have little ones. However, my little dog jumped in my lap the second I got home - let me tell you that was not fun! Give yourself every chance to heal, and remember, your doctor is probably working from his personal experiences and successes with prior patients. Good luck! :D