Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ugh, I'm getting scared!

Understandable, but try not to be. Just remember all of the positive things that will come from the surgery. You won't regret It.

Belly up (no pun intended) for a shot & a beer (an "Iron" preferred!). It will chase away those nervous feelings and will keep you hydrated.....:P:p:p

If that doesn't work, maybe you should have another......

:gluck::)

Seriously, you are not alone. Being nervous or scared or even second guessing your decision is completely normal. The unknown is always a bit unnerving. No matter what you are doing! Of course, the idea of surgery and recovery has it own level of angst. But, just think about how you've dealt with other situations where at first it may not be pleasant but it will lead to something rewarding. All of us have a mechanism that we use to deal with times when we have to face uneasy times or for when we feel anxious or nervous. In most cases, we don't even know we do what we do! But, think back to the last time you felt like this....maybe childbirth or starting a new job. How did you get through it? And, keep in mind....YOU DID GET THROUGH IT!!! Success breeds success!!

But, even if you can't seem to get past your anxiety.....just keep coming back here and sharing your feelings. Let it all out! Just knowing that this place is stock piled with people who understand and will listen with compassion is a wonderful antidote to what you may be feeling. Keep your focus on your goals (not just the number goals) and don't loose sight of the good changes you are making for yourself and for those 3 children of yours!

And, never forget.....you are a PITTSBURGH girl!!!! A SASSY SMART STEEL CITY girl!!! We are SOMTHING SPECIAL.......:)

pghmomof3!

Cheers to Pittsburgh! I lived in Crafton for a little while. My husband born and raised there (Scott Township)...Anyway...We can do this!! I love this site. My date is May 18th, I am supposed to start my pre-op diet on Friday, not looking foward to that, but I will do my best. I can't wait to get the surgery over with and start my new life. One breath I am so excited and the next breath I am second guessing. I just log on here and read away and maybe post here or there. I wish you the best! Hope to hear from you soon!

:)

You know I was thinking about being scared and i was reading in the complications thread about a gal who had to get her gallbladder out and she was so glad so now she wouldnt be sick anymore and she would start feeling better!! I think the difference is the type of surgeries...elective vs. HAVE TO HAVE IT NOW!!! But if we think about the lap band as HAVE TO HAVE IT NOW because we need to feel better now...then maybe it wouldnt be so hard to swallow the fact that you are having surgery. I mean, if you didnt have the Lap band surgery and then 2 years from now you have to have open heart surgery because you have a heart attack because of the obesity and comorbidities, you would be glad that the doctor was going to fix your heart so you could live longer....I dont know, I am just ranting...I was scared too and I dont think there is anything anyone can say to make it better or the nervousness go away. But, I do know, that my doctor told me three years ago that if I didnt do something about my weight I would not be around in 10 years...So three years later...I was 7 years away from the ten year time frame...and I got scared...more scared than thinking about the surgery... You will get through it and then wonder why you were so nervous...thats how it always works.....but in the mean time....CONGRATULATIONS!! You are gonna be healthy:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: Deanna

Thanks everyone! I vacilate between complete anxiety to being excited about the start of a new life! I can't wait to throw away my big girl clothes but will miss the comfort of oversized sweatshirts in the cold Pgh winter, kwim? I'm nervous that this won't work--that this will be another 'diet' that I fail...ugh. I'll be ok--I see all of the success on here and know I can do it, too!

Amy

Amy,

I Say the same thing to myself "will this be yet another failure?", I feel as if this is my last chance, the last opportunity and if I fail at it, then there is NOTHING that will help me. However, I try to tell to myself that this IS going to work and I CAN make it happen. If we follow the rules (probably the hardest thing EVER), but if we do, we will succeed! We have done it MANY times before, we have followed many diets and we have lost weight before, the LB will help us where we failed before! I wish you well and hope to hear about your successes!!!

How 'bout them Stillers!

I think it is very normal to be nervous and excited at the same time..I know I was so nervous, but all went well and I couldn't be happier...good luck to you...and I am so excited for you....get ready for a new journey in life....