Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Running pashion

What are your favorite aspects of running?

For me, I enjoy:

1. The heat that radiates from core and chest after about 10 minutes. Like sitting in a Sauna.

2. How good my body feels after training. After glow usually lasts about 2 hours for me.

3. Some aches and pains get fixed, especially in my back. This happens if I am relaxed in bother upper and lower body when running, but keeping a strong core and arms at side, as if on rails. It is like a massage and hardly feels like running. Nothing kills a run faster (distracting) than tight traps or tight calves/quads.

4. Breaking a new 5 k or 10 k personal time.

5. Get to listen to my running tunes pumping!

Running is a really good form of cardio that doesn't tax the nervous system too much and cause mental burnout. It is fairly easy to do and not complex, but burns a lot of calories (average 100-200 every 10 min depending on intensity).

How do you like to train for your running?

For me, there are several ways that I like to train on my running days (non strength days, 3-4 days a week):

1. 5 k or 10 k for time. Ran a 45 min 10 k last night and kept my hr between 148 and 152. I typically do not run for more than an hour because of training pace.

2. Tiered sprints. I like to do 6.5 for a min, 7.5 for a min and 8.5 for a min, rinse, repeat until tired. I typically can do this for between 20-30 min. Hr between 140-160.

3. Sprinting on level - 30 s @ 12.5 mph, rest 30 s, repeat for 10 minutes. Hr > 160 (drop to 150 during rest). I like this training because it is uber effective and very short.

4. Sprinting on incline - 30 s @ 9.5 mph on 6%, rest 30, repeat for 10 m. Hr > 160. I like this training because it is uber effective and very short.

5. Max vo2 training - 1 min max @ 160 hr, 3 rounds of 5 min @ 80%, 6 rounds of 3 min @ 100% / 1 min rest, rest 2 min, 5 rounds of 2 min @ 100% / 1 min rest. This is a hard running workout for me to complete without running out of steam.50% of the time I have struggled to finish last segment. Massive caloric burn on this one. And because it is such a shock on the muscles, it continues the gift of burning calories for a long time.

Typically before running, I will do a 10 min 6 mph warmup jog and then 5 min dynamic stretches.

Typically after running, I will do 20 - 30 min of elliptical at moderate intensity (135-145 hr) and then 10 min stretching.

Please share info about your running passion.

I just started running again...I ran a mile without stopping the other day. It was amazing! When I first started jogging I started out running for 30 seconds, then walking for a minute. Then my next run, I increased to running a minute, walking a minute. Then the next time, I would run for 3 minutes walk for 2. I'm amazed at how fast I was able to build the amount of time I could run. (I can do 50-60 minutes on the elliptical no problem, so the cardio portion wasn't an issue, it was muscular - using different muscles than on the elliptical or walking.)

I love the way my body feels after I run - it's so different that doing a long hike or walk, which feels good, but after a run, my body feels more "alive", if that makes sense. That feelings lasts longer than a walk.

My 14 year old son and I have a set a goal for next summer to run a couple of 5K events. He's my running buddy...Probably the best part of running right now is him cheering me on, telling me I can keep going. He even said he was proud of me - that was priceless!

I have just begun to run this year. I used the Couch to 5K program. I love that I CAN DO it without the fire feeling coming up from my throat like I used to get when I was heavier. I like the feeling of exhaustion at the end, which means I'm free from stress and proud that I worked hard. I love the fact that there is no perfection in running--there is not end goal--which means you will always get a chance to do better, to challenge yourself. Runners are almost always happy people. How could you not be with all those endorphins? LOL I like the "freebies" at 5Ks--esp raffles and Protein bars. I also love that running is free, it's uncomplicated, and I can do it all sorts of places.

@@Fiddleman, I am nowhere near your running level, but I love your enthusiasm!

@McButterpants Love that you are running with your son. I've run with my daughter and I love trying to instill the love of exercise in her. She's almost 8, and ran a 5k with me this summer! She was so adorable, when I offered to let her cross the finish line before me, she said, "No Mommy, we trained together, we cross together." AWWW I love her!!