Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I had my sleep study done about 2 weeks ago, and I just got my report. It says I have severe obstructive sleep apnea--but I had only 2 obstructive events (the rest were hypopneas). They tried to do a CPAP trial, but I was too claustrophobic (and honestly, too exhausted to fight the fear.)

I was so stressed by this study. It was literally the worst night's (non) sleep of my life. Every dream was about being suffocated by the thing up my nose. I couldn't sleep in my normal position because of all the dooddads hanging off of me, and the pillows were like sinking in quicksand. Now, I'm afraid my surgeon is going to require a cpap before surgery. I get scared just thinking about it! I cried myself to sleep last night worrying about it. On the other hand, I don't want to fall unconscious after surgery because of low ox levels.

Help me think of what sort of questions I should be asking my surgeon about this. I really doubt that I'll be able to tolerate wearing a mask (I feel sick thinking about it) without doing some serious aversion therapy. On the other hand, I don't want to wait for my surgery--I've got a good window of time where it won't interfere with other obligations and would hate to have to give that up.

PS I know the mask won't actually kill me. But I seriously feel like it is going to. It's a primal fear and very difficult to overcome. I freak at the dentist for the same reason. And when I had my egd/colonoscopy a few days ago, the only truly terrible part was when they put this mouth-guard thing in right before they knocked me out.

I used to use a CPAP mask, but hated it. I was fitted for a dental appliance that g-r-a-d-u-a-l-l-y makes your lower jaw move forward a very little bit. I wear it at night and does not disrupt my sleep the least bit. I was told it should last around 1 1/2 years before you need a new one. I suggest looking up ear/nose/throat practices and see if they fit dental appliances. It takes awhile to ramp up lower jaw forward because they have to do it so slowly to avoid TMJ issues, so I would look into it soon.

I would definitely ask beforehand how long it might take to control the apnea episodes given your sleep study results. I would want to make sure that the problem is solved before surgery.

Edited by BeagleLover

I used to use a CPAP mask, but hated it. I was fitted for a dental appliance that g-r-a-d-u-a-l-l-y makes your lower jaw move forward a very little bit. I wear it at night and does not disrupt my sleep the least bit. I suggest looking up ear/nose/throat practices and see if they fit dental appliances. It takes awhile to ramp up lower jaw forward because they have to do it so slowly to avoid TMJ issues, so I would look into it soon.

Yeah...I have about $800 of custom-made mouthguards for bruxism sitting in my bathroom. They have a tendency to travel across the room while I'm sleeping. They must jump out of my mouth or something!

5beautifuldays, I too have sleep apnea and can't wear any kind of mask or nose or anything else. I have copd and asthma, low pulse ox readings. My dr put me on 1 ltr of O2 at night. So far so good the nasal cannula isn't hard to get used too.

So your not alone, I'm sure there are lots others who can't stand the CPAP makes them feel as if they are smothering.

Good luck

I used to use a CPAP mask, but hated it. I was fitted for a dental appliance that g-r-a-d-u-a-l-l-y makes your lower jaw move forward a very little bit. I wear it at night and does not disrupt my sleep the least bit. I suggest looking up ear/nose/throat practices and see if they fit dental appliances. It takes awhile to ramp up lower jaw forward because they have to do it so slowly to avoid TMJ issues, so I would look into it soon.

Yeah...I have about $800 of custom-made mouthguards for bruxism sitting in my bathroom. They have a tendency to travel across the room while I'm sleeping. They must jump out of my mouth or something!

Hey, at least you HAVE them! I know from personal experience that dogs LUUUUUV mouthguards--- only the expensive ones!

Hey, at least you HAVE them! I know from personal experience that dogs LUUUUUV mouthguards--- only the expensive ones!

LOL! I wouldn't even know if my cat chewed on mine! (EWWWW)

LOL! I wouldn't even know if my cat chewed on mine! (EWWWW)

Oh yeah, you WOULD! It would have all these teeny tiny needle holes in them! You'd better put on your reading glasses and check those babies out!

Edited by BeagleLover

I use a Bi-Pap and had a hard time with rhe mask. I use the nose pillows and it works great. I love mine. I didn't know what a good nights sleep was like before I started using it. Give it a little bit of time before you give up.

Hi folks! I'm new here. I have not yet been sleeved, am in the process of hoop jumping. I won't even have insurance before open enrollment in Oct. But I have a question about sleep apnea. I did a sleep study, and as it turned our I have it. Now then...I now hit 40 BMI and have sleep apnea. Do most ins co's (UHC) require I be "treated" for it, of simply just be diagnosed with it? I panicked when they tried to put the mask on me during the study. Thanks in advance!