Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is Change Really Possible?

Well, I'm just beginning this journey, but I am confident that the sleeve was just what I needed to make it possible to finally find a way to lose the weight and keep it off. Those nay-sayers are just exhibiting their jealousy - and demonstrating to us all that many people seem to want to find a way to feel superior to, or put down others who make them feel inadequate or insecure. Sad fact, but why do people find it necessary to make racial jokes, or other hurtful comments? Treating large people badly is still one of the few socially acceptable prejudices still tolerated in our society.

Livvsmum - what do you do now? You live your life proudly and move forward in confidence knowing that you have won a great battle with courage and perseverance. Incorporate all that you have learned in this journey into your new life style. Eat healthy while allowing yourself "celebratory" foods you like on occasion. Stay active and realize you are still the same person, only "new and improved". YOU GO GIRL!!!

My goodness! I gotta tell you that this sounds totally passive aggressive to me. All these things they have been thinking and probably saying when you are not around couched in a philosophical discussion about change???? OUCH! I agree that maybe they are jealous or threatened by the new you in some way. Just keep on working hard and forget about it.

I agree with what every one is saying. Can I ask- are your friends overweight? It's interesting to see how people treat me now that I am thin. Like if I eat a chip or a chicken wing I can see them checking to see how much I eat. And I too feel like if I gain 1 single pound like I have gained back 90. I know I haven't it's just the fear I have of reverting back to old days when I would lose 10 and gain 20.

You are a great inspiration to me, look at you and how fabulous you look in 10 months. I am headed towards month 4, and can not wait for month 10 , 11 and 12 like you. What an amazing and fabulous amound of weight you have lost in just 10 months. How can I do this too. I weighed the same maybe a little more my highest was 286..pre surgery was 276 and now 246. How am I doing. I just started to feel good to walk, body ached for the past month, ankles, feet, legs, back, so I started going to a chiropractor. I feel so good now. Many say the body is adjusting to the weight shift. never again do I want this weight on me again.

Tell me what I should be doing now headed into month 4. I try to avoid rice, breads, but occassionally or once a week have a little. I am really only able to eat red meat, fish, and super small bites of chicken, I almost hate chicken my first couple of months with it have been horrible. I am eating soft stir friend and steamed and boiled soft veggies. I do occassion Protein shakes, not enought though, I try, goats milk, almond milk, and I am trying to get my Water in.

Any other tips, wisdom, suggestions.....and what work outs should I be doing, I still always dont feel the best...I'm tired a lot, have to have naps but it's slowly coming down. So tell me, what you did during the months of 4, 5, 6.

All The Best,

CaliMex Gal

I agree with what every one is saying. Can I ask- are your friends overweight? It's interesting to see how people treat me now that I am thin. Like if I eat a chip or a chicken wing I can see them checking to see how much I eat. And I too feel like if I gain 1 single pound like I have gained back 90. I know I haven't it's just the fear I have of reverting back to old days when I would lose 10 and gain 20.

Yes, she is quite overweight. There are 3 of us who were relatively close friends,2 of us have had sleeve surgery and she has not.

You are a great inspiration to me, look at you and how fabulous you look in 10 months. I am headed towards month 4, and can not wait for month 10 , 11 and 12 like you. What an amazing and fabulous amound of weight you have lost in just 10 months. How can I do this too. I weighed the same maybe a little more my highest was 286..pre surgery was 276 and now 246. How am I doing. I just started to feel good to walk, body ached for the past month, ankles, feet, legs, back, so I started going to a chiropractor. I feel so good now. Many say the body is adjusting to the weight shift. never again do I want this weight on me again.

Tell me what I should be doing now headed into month 4. I try to avoid rice, breads, but occassionally or once a week have a little. I am really only able to eat red meat, fish, and super small bites of chicken, I almost hate chicken my first couple of months with it have been horrible. I am eating soft stir friend and steamed and boiled soft veggies. I do occassion Protein shakes, not enought though, I try, goats milk, almond milk, and I am trying to get my Water in.

Any other tips, wisdom, suggestions.....and what work outs should I be doing, I still always dont feel the best...I'm tired a lot, have to have naps but it's slowly coming down. So tell me, what you did during the months of 4, 5, 6.

All The Best,

CaliMex Gal

Thank you! I replied to your comment on the photo, but I'll post it here for others as well. For me at 4 months was when I started working out. That has been a huge motivator and pretty life-changing to me. I started with running. I used the couch to 5k app to get me going because I literally had not been in a gym in probably 15 years. It was overwhelming to start, but that seemed like a pretty simple starting point. Since then I have run regularly and now am training for a half marathon. My training/workout schedule is running 4 days, cross training 2 days (weights or a class), and 1 rest day. Find something you really enjoy doing whether it is biking, running, zumba, whatever..... that will push you through the times when the scale is not moving. I also am very goal-orientated, so I find that signing up for races has given me something to keep working towards that is not at all related to the scale.< /p>

As far as food, I stick to my numbers of 30-35g carbs, 65-70g Protein, and at least 12 8oz glasses of Water per day. I am not perfect, sometimes I go beyond those, but in the very beginning, like up to 7 months probably, I followed this religiously. I do still do probably 1 Protein shake just about every day for either Breakfast, or 1/2 of one for a snack.

I would say also that doing the emotional/mental work is just as important for maintaining the weight loss as anything you put in your mouth. At the beginning it was super exciting to see the weight come off, but now that I'm very near goal, I have had to do a lot of dealing with my emotional eating issues. You can read tons about that in my blog if that interests you at all. :-)

Hope that helps and answers your question. That was the long version of the answer (1) exercise regularly if you're not already, (2) stick to the numbers as far as nutrition, and (3) start working on the emotional side of things as well. :-)

Yes, she is quite overweight. There are 3 of us who were relatively close friends,2 of us have had sleeve surgery and she has not.

She's definitely jealous of your success and knows she won't be making any positive changes herself . Misery loves company and she wants you back ...