Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dumping vs. Foods Disagreeing

I have had 2 strictures to date and if a food wouldn't clear the opening it came back up, all foods. Now I think I am set with the opening large enough but as I try new things some don't agree. They are coming back up like chicken a lot of the time. Pork tasted good but came back up. Beef is good so far. When it disagrees with me i feel uncomfortable, get the foamies, then it heaves back up with not much effort on my part. This is not dumping right?

It is my understanding dumping involves sweats, anxiety, heart palpitations, diarrhea, sometimes vomit, nausea. Am I correct? There is a difference between the two. Right? When they say if a food doesn't agree with you try again in a week. That is different from dumping. I think. I am confused. Help and advice?

From what I've learned, dumping can be a combination of any or all of the symptoms you described. I haven't experienced dumping, but have had foods not like me very much. chicken breast, for example, made me queasy (I wished I could have thrown up and got rid of it!). If I eat something that makes me queasy, the feeling usually goes away pretty quickly if I get up and walk around for a while. Some people have said that when they experience dumping, the symptoms can last for hours and hours. I hope to never go through that! :)

Dumping happens when sugar and or simple carbs reach your intestine at an area unused to it (due to being bypassed in RNY). Your body's reaction to this is to send Fluid quickly to your intestines resulting in abdominal pain/cramping, cold sweats, light-headedness, shaking, and severe diarrhea. It can happen a little while after a meal (my first/only dumping experience happened a few weeks ago and was about thirty minutes after eating) and can last hours (I spent a long painful miserable hour on the toilet, followed by another hour/hour and a half of shaking and severe weakness). You can avoid dumping by avoiding sugar, foods containing over 10gr of sugar, simple carbs (almost anything white - bread, rice, pasta). If you follow your teams instructions and read food labels this won't happen often, if at all.

food getting stuck/eating too fast/eating too much causes food to back up. This is very common and can happen very frequently. Your body's response to this is to create bubbly saliva to try to ease the problem. The saliva builds up and either does help or causes severe nausea resulting in vomiting, which also solves the problem. Taking small bites, chewing thoroughly, and eating slowly can help prevent this. chicken or other poultry can be very dry, as is pork, and many people can't tolerate these foods (I'm over one year out and have never been able to keep chicken or turkey down). Each individual may have foods they can't tolerate but others can. It's trial and error.

• Thanks for the replies!
I thought I had it right but then I paniced and thought oh am I dumping and I don't know it? I thought there was a difference and yet the symptoms are close so it was hard to tell.I really appreciate the time you took to share!

My lovely new pouch does NOT like alot of things! My surgeon says this is normal. We may not be able to handle the same things as before surgery. Boo! But mostly good!

Also if you are regularly having food and liquids coming back up you may have a stricture. I have that. I will be going in for my 4th endoscopy and dilatation.

Talk to your doc!

Respect your pouch. I am two months out and have dumped only once, I ate two Cookies. Bad idea. Won't do it again. Within ten minutes had severe cramps and spent a half hour on the toilet. Took about another hour to start feeling right. Chew, chew, chew and eat slowly. I had a stressful week, and was eating to fast and basically was throwing up daily for about four days. Horrible.

I have had troubles with eating slow enough with my family because they eat so fast. I forget sometimes and don't chew my food long enough and boy do I pay for it! I have found that rotisserie chicken is moist and my stomach tolerates it much better as well as meats cooked in crockpot.