Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Overreacting? I want water!

one of the things i was told about Water and meals is... those of us who love to cram as much food in there as possible use liquids to make it possible to fit in more food. its like a shoehorn making more room for the food, and dulling our feeling of being full. the more Water we drink, the more food we can shovel in.

so the truth probably is, you wont really need water when you eat, since you wont be having any of these food parties. you will be eating much much smaller portions and wont need to shovel food in anymore. i am sorry you didnt realize you would have to give up drinking at meals. i had six months to practice not drinking with my meals before my surgery because its a huge adjustment.

Yes, knowledge is power so they say….

However, you had the procedure done and not drinking a little before/during/after a meal is not life altering, in my opinion.

I had the lap band with plication (imbrication) and honestly not a big deal.

You have the information now and need to make the best decision for yourself. Give it an honest try and see if it works or have it reversed.

Yes, you were shocked but now you know. Make the best of it….its not like you can never drink Water again!

I had no idea about the no drinking rule other than a mention that it's not good to drink right after eating because it could push the food causing dumping. No wonder my portions don't seem small it must be all the Water I'm drinking. I'm glad I read this thread. For some people it is a big adjustment not to drink during meals. I can understand needing to vent about being frustrated. It sounds like your doc doesn't take the typical route most WL surgeons do.

So you were able to have WLS with less than a month pre-op prep, an extremely low BMI, no counseling, basically no research and no knowledge of how procedure itself worked?

Did you have psych evaluation? Cardio tests? Blood work? Were you self pay?

Something's weird here. Did you research your doctor at all? It's hard to believe that he gave you FREE WLS with no prep work, no sort of NUT work or counseling, etc.

I can't imagine allowing someone to perform a "new surgery" (it's not) on me, physically altering my insides without knowing every detail, especially with so little turn around time and it's a shame a doctor allowed that to happen. Have you considered making a formal complaint against him?

Edited by LipstickLady

@@LipstickLady

There was no psych evaluation or bloodwork, and no nutrition counseling. I went in originally for a hiatal hernia repair, NOT weight loss surgery. I had a barium swallow study and a manometry esophegus test, both of which were hernia-related. Right before the surgery (literally-I was in the gown, IV was in), they did an EKG, so I guess that counts as cardio testing. I don't know what they usually do for WLS as far as cardio tests go. I signed consent forms that listed normal surgery risks-bleeding, anesthesia risks, etc. Nothing specific about longterm lifestyle changes.

The doctor brought up the idea of WLS at an appointment before my hiatal hernia repair surgery. He said that it would be done for free because it could be done at the same time as the hernia repair. So my insurance covered the hernia repair, and there was no additional charge for the WLS.

All I was told was that it was a relatively new procedure (I don't know why people keep saying it's not...I looked it up and many websites say it started around 2011...that's still pretty new!) that involves folding part of the stomach over on itself to make it smaller. He said I would eat smaller meals and that there weren't any other side effects. I didn't meet with a nutritionist until today, and he seemed surprised that we didn't have an appointment before surgery.

Hiatal hernias run in my family, and this same doctor repaired them on both my mother and father in the past 10 years. I didn't feel any need to do further research on the doctor because I trusted him based on their history.

I'm not saying that it's not worth it-I haven't decided yet, honestly. I'm just frustrated with the situation. I put my trust in a doctor to give me all the facts, and I didn't get them. It's not just about the Water, it's about the lifestyle changes that I didn't sign up for. It makes me really understand why a lot of WLS require you to lose weight before the surgeries-as much as I wasn't great at dieting, compared to this, I know I'd pick sticking with a diet long-term (that is NOT meant to be judgmental! I think I just made a dumb choice, hearing about an option that sounded quick and easy at the time, and now I know that that's simply not the case with any WLS). I know some people are judging me for not doing enough research, but if a doctor makes it out to be no big deal, I'm inclined to trust them. That said, I think the only way I'd make it into a formal complaint as you mentioned would be if I do decide to have the procedure reversed.

I completely understand where you're coming from. I had a cyst removed recently that required me to be fully knocked out. I only researched to make sure my doc was a good doc. You already had that knowledge of yours.

Many of us have paid several hundreds to thousands of dollars to get this done. With that kind of money on the line and our health at stake, most of us did out research for this life changing surgery.

If suggest to try to stick this out as it sounds like it could be beneficial for you. Look at the links people posted. Try your best to limit your Water intake during meals and keep in mind that if you drink you're reducing it's effectiveness. If you need a drink, go ahead and drink. Hopefully you're not going to be like some people that get sick when they drink. If I'm at a nice restaurant, I'll still enjoy wine with my meal. I'm just hungry in two hours. Lol

Oh and I did have wls due to infertility concerns. Both my surgeon was well aware and my ob/gyn. All my tests for fertility came back normal so my doc said that I needed to lose weight and reduce stress. There's a forum on here for pregnant people :). Many others have done the same.

Edited by kimk1999

So basically he did a free WLS without the proper procedures or giving you the proper education on what you were about to do to your body. What's the name of your surgeon? Where are you located?

I honestly don't think you did enough research, but that's not a judgement, it's just my opinion. That said, what you chose to do will better your health and I do think you can make the best of it by researching your choice and finding someone who will support you along the way.

When people here are asked about the regrets they had with WLS, the number one complaint is that they didn't do it when they only had 50, 60, 70 pounds to lose or that they didn't do it when they were younger. You did. You can get past the Water thing. It's my biggest peeve, too, but at 112 pounds down, a new size 6/8 body and the ability to do far more than I've done in a very long time, it's a very small price to pay. :D

@@LipstickLady

There was no psych evaluation or bloodwork, and no nutrition counseling. I went in originally for a hiatal hernia repair, NOT weight loss surgery. I had a barium swallow study and a manometry esophegus test, both of which were hernia-related. Right before the surgery (literally-I was in the gown, IV was in), they did an EKG, so I guess that counts as cardio testing. I don't know what they usually do for WLS as far as cardio tests go. I signed consent forms that listed normal surgery risks-bleeding, anesthesia risks, etc. Nothing specific about longterm lifestyle changes.

The doctor brought up the idea of WLS at an appointment before my hiatal hernia repair surgery. He said that it would be done for free because it could be done at the same time as the hernia repair. So my insurance covered the hernia repair, and there was no additional charge for the WLS.

All I was told was that it was a relatively new procedure (I don't know why people keep saying it's not...I looked it up and many websites say it started around 2011...that's still pretty new!) that involves folding part of the stomach over on itself to make it smaller. He said I would eat smaller meals and that there weren't any other side effects. I didn't meet with a nutritionist until today, and he seemed surprised that we didn't have an appointment before surgery.

Hiatal hernias run in my family, and this same doctor repaired them on both my mother and father in the past 10 years. I didn't feel any need to do further research on the doctor because I trusted him based on their history.

I'm not saying that it's not worth it-I haven't decided yet, honestly. I'm just frustrated with the situation. I put my trust in a doctor to give me all the facts, and I didn't get them. It's not just about the Water, it's about the lifestyle changes that I didn't sign up for. It makes me really understand why a lot of WLS require you to lose weight before the surgeries-as much as I wasn't great at dieting, compared to this, I know I'd pick sticking with a diet long-term (that is NOT meant to be judgmental! I think I just made a dumb choice, hearing about an option that sounded quick and easy at the time, and now I know that that's simply not the case with any WLS). I know some people are judging me for not doing enough research, but if a doctor makes it out to be no big deal, I'm inclined to trust them. That said, I think the only way I'd make it into a formal complaint as you mentioned would be if I do decide to have the procedure reversed.

i think you should consider a formal complaint against this doctor for misleading you. he did not follow informed consent laws. that is against the law and bad medicine. the hospital at least should know what he is doing because he is going to get sued, and them too. what he did was wrong and others should know what he is doing.

Edited by moonlitestarbrite

@@Brightfuture058

So, food actually doesn't stay in the stomach as long as it did before WLS?

@@Jersrose43

And no, I received zero counseling before the surgery. I had an appointment with the surgeon because I had a hiatal hernia that was causing acid reflux. He brought up the idea of the imbrication for weight loss, confirmed the hernia with some testing, and then we scheduled the surgery for three weeks later. There was very minimal discussion of the WLS. I asked for side effects and downsides, and he said I would have to eat smaller, more frequent meals. That's it. He actually specifically told me that it was relatively new and that I wouldn't find much online. The only other question I asked was if it would have any affect on future fertility, and he said that, if anything, it would make a pregnancy easier due to weight loss. He assured me that I shouldn't have any other concerns.

So for all the people fussing at me for not doing my research...sorry that I trusted my doctor? I honestly didn't know any better. Most of you probably had months to consider. I had a few weeks. You had counseling-likely nutritional and psychological. I had neither and did not know those were normally required. I went in to put in end to years of acid reflux (which, by the way, wasn't even caused by the weight-it started years ago when I was quite thin, so the WLS was unrelated). I guess I'm in shock with the lifestyle changes, and I think that's fair.

My Nut said it doesn't stay as long as it use to and there is less stomach to absorb all the nutrients it needs to absorb. So if you drink while you eat it will take up your food space. Well thats how she described it to me when I questioned the Water while eating.

I totally understand your frustration, I know I had some low moments too when I had the constant nausea for 3 wks straight, unable to eat anything really. I questioned all the time why I had this done. But in time it gets better and I am so glad I had this done. I feel like a new person :)) Just give it time and you will see your taste buds may change too. I don't have the same taste towards food that I did before. You might end up having a liking to a different type of food. I love this site because its a place we can ask questions and support each other. You can get through this!!! :))

I drink right after I eat....I never wait thirty minutes.....I might wait 5 cause I feel real full

I drink right after I eat....I never wait thirty minutes.....I might wait 5 cause I feel real full

this mixes with the food in your stomach, causing it to liquify and empty out of your stomach much faster. leading to feeling full for a shorter length of time. if you want to maximize your feeling of fullness, wait 45 minutes after eating to drink. i have learned to drink before i eat. wait 15 minutes, then eat. your stomach should empty of liquid in 15 min. 11 months post op, its not a problem anymore, though i struggled a lot in the beginning.

My Nut said it doesn't stay as long as it use to and there is less stomach to absorb all the nutrients it needs to absorb. So if you drink while you eat it will take up your food space. Well thats how she described it to me when I questioned the Water while eating.

actually nutrients from food are absorbed in the small intestines. there are macro nutrients and micro nutrients. both are absorbed by the vili in the small intestines. the stomach's job is to start the digestion process... digestion breaks food down into the nutrients to be absorbed.