Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tired....of EVERYTHING....

I'm so tired of all of this -- it's also irritating that no one understands what I am going through (in my immediate circle of family and friends). It's like I try to explain it but if you haven't been through it you don't understand. I guess that is why I am posting here. I joined a while back and posted a few times and then didn't come back to visit until recently. I need some advice, or a pep talk or something!

Let me start by saying that this has been more aggravating recently because I am unemployed for the first time in my life, and I am having all these problems with my band and I have NO insurance!

I have had my band for over 3 years. I started at 299 and got down to 213. I couldn't get any further. The band wasn't working for me. I started having all kinds of problems being able to eat -- ANYTHING -- sometimes couldn't even drink. I had this experience over and over and on several occasions I had scopes done, etc...they always said, "just go on liquids" or "your band doesn't look like it's slipped, we really don't know." It was awful, because I wasn't cheating....I wasn't eating the things I shouldn't be eating. Well, it got to the point where all I COULD successfully eat was the junk. I could eat sugary things and I started gaining weight back (duh!). I have had NO Fluid in my band for about 8 months now. My band would just get tighter and tighter -- to the point where when they had me drink the barium it wouldn't go down either! They took the Fluid out and I haven't been back to the doctor since then. I'm tired of "just drink fluids." That isn't a long-term solution -- it isn't like I'm trying to eat STEAK! So anyway, my band is giving me problems again, DAILY -- and remember, I have NO fluid in it at all!

I am really at my wits end. What do I do? I want it out of me! I want to act like it never happened. But I'm also scared because I'm gaining weight back (like half of what I lost). I feel so out of control with all of this and it isn't anything like what I thought it would be. I hate it!

Sorry I know I'm just going on and on but I had to vent to someone who might understand because they've been through it (or something similar).

AAARGH!:help:

Sorry you are having such a hard time with your band. Have you thought about changing docs or getting a second opinion. I know the fear of self pay because my insurance did not pay and if anything goes wrong I am responsible-so I know that is VERY STRESSFUL! Eventhough you lost your job can you not do cobra on your insurance? But if your dr keeps acting like its not a big deal I would find someone else-because apparently something is wrong. I will keep you in my prayers!

If you have no fill and still can't eat solid food, I'd say there is something definitely wrong. Sounds suspiciously like a slip to me, but I'm no doctor.

You really need to have this checked out. If your band doctor has fluoro available in his office, that's the cheapest route. Give him a call and tell him your situation.

Well the thing is that ever since I had all of the Fluid taken out, YES I could eat more (in quantity and in choice). By no means am I blaming ALL of my weight gain on not being able to eat the right things, because some of it is me eating the wrong things. However, lately, I will get "stuck" on the first bite of something. There is really no rhyme or reason to what I can and can't eat. I don't even TRY any type of plain meat (no sauces or anything to make it really slippery) or bread or anything like that. I was on vacation last week and we went to a mexican restaurant to Celebrate someone's birthday. I had one bite of my fiance's burrito -- which was smothered in cheese) and I was stuck the rest of the day, actually vomiting 8 times before it finally became "unstuck." It was miserable. I have never had that bad of a problem -- and I literally had one SMALL bite. I am now to the point where I have problems eating every day -- sometimes more than once a day. After getting back from vacation I was mostly eating Soups and "mushies" because I thought maybe my band had been irritated. I could feel it going down but it didn't get stuck -- it just felt like it was moving slowly. So I slowly worked my way into eating "normal" foods and NO....wasn't happening. The thing is that it's on and off. I can eat popcorn one day and the next, I can't even eat yogurt. I made some chicken salad with the canned chicken and some low fat mayo -- had problems. I tried to eat some fruit --had problems. But I could eat popcorn and of course any type of sweets. I could always eat salads and Soups in restaurants but salads have been giving me problems....and any kind of Soup with anything in it besides liquid.

Believe me, I have been through this long enough to know how to chew, know how to swallow even....I know what I should and shouldn't be able to eat. It doesn't make sense! And, I have no fill.....that is what makes it ridiculous to me!

Thanks for your all's input....

Sorry about all your troubles - my band sister just had her band removed - she had symptoms like you describe - they found she had a hernia - have they checked that on you?

Would a hernia cause problems on and off? I don't really understand how all of that would work. Also, this reminded me of something else I was going to reply before -- we REALLY don't have the money for me to go have a bunch of tests done at the doctor -- and if we did do that we CERTAINLY don't have the money for me to go have surgery of some kind with no insurance.....

I don't have any wisdom I just wanted to say I'm thinking about you and praying things get better for you and that your band is fine. I am not having those problems but I'm having more stress than I've ever had in my life and my weightloss has stalled. I can't eat very well until after about 2:00 pm and I have 3cc's in a 4cc's band. Try to keep your chin up and I'm self pay and I know what you mean. So far I've been out over 17000.00 including fills out of pocket and now that I'm stalled my husband is on my azz big time, so I know what you mean. Pm me if you need to talk.

I have recently had the exact same problem as far as no fill in my band and not being able to eat. I had a baby on March 8th and from that time on my band just seemed to get tighter and tighter. I attributed it to post op swelling (had a c-section) and waited for improvement.

I had reflux, gurgling, couldn't drink, certainly couldn't eat. I could force down a Protein shake in the evenings sometimes. I got really scared. My doctor kind of said the same thing, go on liquids, let's wait. Eventually he said we might have to replace my band with a larger one. Had an upper gi, yes it was tight, no we don't know why.

I had my post baby visit with my ob/gyn. I had mentioned to her my problem and she said that when she opened me up she had noticed "edema" (swelling) in my organs. I looked up edema in a natural nutrition book and it said the #1 cause of edema is a LACK OF Protein. Makes total sense because I had stopped really being on top of my protein toward the end of my pregnancy, plus being pregnant meant using a lot of protein. Then after that, I couldn't get it down.

SO, I made a decision to get as much protein in as I can. Two to 3 shakes a day (50-75 grams from that alone). Plus as much Water as I can muster. I would literally work a Protein Shake for 2 hours. I also found that my Vitamin supplement was contributing to reflux. Also, it mentioned a B Vitamin complex specifically B6. I got a herbal supplement that had B6 and other herbs to help not retain extra Water. I didn't do that very much, because I had make sure that I was getting enough water in.

But I am seeing a definite improvement. I am certainly not where I was prior to my c-section, but no reflux or gergling, I can drink my shake and water pretty easily. This week I've done full liquids to give my band a total rest, not even trying to eat solids.

I don't expect that I will need a band replacement if I'm really careful for a while.

Hope this helps.

I totally understand. I am not as desperate as you yet but have my own battles. I got some weight off yet was fatigued so my PCP decided it was low magnesium. I've had 3 infusions and one was after my lapbanddoc took some of my fill out. I gained weight as soon as we loosened the band. Now I have got the weight I gained back off and my band has to be tight in the morning and at noon to get proper restriction for dinner. Then dinner is still a nightmare as a lot of the meats won't go.

Today I saw my endocrinologist and have to go back on insulin and he says I have a vitamin-mineral deficiency. I am anemic and low on B-12 so he ordered a liquid supplement for me to try. I already take a magnesium supplement. So if this does not give me some energy we will try B-12 shots.

I feel your pain. When I can get food down it is not always healthy. Last night I got a can of vienna sausages down for my Protein and few Cheeze it crackers. Not too healthy, right?

I do supplement with some protein puddings.

But you are right, they don't tell you about all this craziness.

I would still do it all over and will stay persistent. But I want you to know you are not alone. :eek:

Well the thing is that ever since I had all of the Fluid taken out, YES I could eat more (in quantity and in choice). By no means am I blaming ALL of my weight gain on not being able to eat the right things, because some of it is me eating the wrong things. However, lately, I will get "stuck" on the first bite of something. There is really no rhyme or reason to what I can and can't eat. I don't even TRY any type of plain meat (no sauces or anything to make it really slippery) or bread or anything like that. I was on vacation last week and we went to a mexican restaurant to Celebrate someone's birthday. I had one bite of my fiance's burrito -- which was smothered in cheese) and I was stuck the rest of the day, actually vomiting 8 times before it finally became "unstuck." It was miserable. I have never had that bad of a problem -- and I literally had one SMALL bite. I am now to the point where I have problems eating every day -- sometimes more than once a day. After getting back from vacation I was mostly eating Soups and "mushies" because I thought maybe my band had been irritated. I could feel it going down but it didn't get stuck -- it just felt like it was moving slowly. So I slowly worked my way into eating "normal" foods and NO....wasn't happening. The thing is that it's on and off. I can eat popcorn one day and the next, I can't even eat yogurt. I made some chicken salad with the canned chicken and some low fat mayo -- had problems. I tried to eat some fruit --had problems. But I could eat popcorn and of course any type of sweets. I could always eat salads and soups in restaurants but salads have been giving me problems....and any kind of Soup with anything in it besides liquid.

Believe me, I have been through this long enough to know how to chew, know how to swallow even....I know what I should and shouldn't be able to eat. It doesn't make sense! And, I have no fill.....that is what makes it ridiculous to me!

Thanks for your all's input....

We are very much alike. I can usually get popcorn or chips down. But meat does not want to go and YES some days what I could eat the day before will not go the next day at the very same time!!!

It is frustrating....................!!!

I have had an unfill for all my fills except 2 !!!

I do think if we emptied out my band I could probably eat just like the old days. When we loosened it to let things calm down I could pretty good and gained immediately. I am not ready to give up so will keep living and struggling with my band.

Jack, I am so much like banded bandit. Here is a typical day.

coffee when I get to work at 8.

Bowl of Soup, today it was the broth off bean soup for lunch.

dinner last night was a can of vienna sausages and a few cheezits. I know this is not good as I can't have much energy if I don't get to eat my real meal until evening. meat just does not like to go. So I eat turkey Spam or anything super processed.

Bless your heart...I know this must be so frustrating...I hope and pray that all will work out of you....hang in there....maybe they can fix the band....

As a follow up to the post I left earlier, my band issues have completely resolved. Please try doing what I did for 8-10 days before any decision. You might find some relief.

For all of us trying to get enought protein...try cottage cheese one little container has 11 grams and it goes down pretty easy.

I have another suggestion, have you considered that you there is a psychological component at this point? At my pre-op seminar they told us that anxiety and stress can cause tightness and difficulty. As a person who has dealt with depression and anxiety herself, I know the effects it can have on my body - especially my digestive system.

Now, I may be completely off base here. I was only banded on May 2nd and still on fluids, so I don't have any first hand experience, but you may want to consider your ANTICIPATION of what will happen when you eat. Since sweets and treats are "comfort" foods, you anticipate that they will comfort you and so they go down easily.

By the way, I take meds for the depression and anxiety and did so before I was banded, so I don't currently have any symptoms.

I wish you the very best, I hope you discover what is thr problem and that it resolves very soon.

Susan