Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

getting closer to surgery, still excited BUT getting scared and nervous

Hello.

I am now inching my way toward the sleeve surgery (which is not set yet, but expected to be in July). I just had my cardiac appt. to get the official clearance, which i knew would not be an issues as my ekg's and stress test history is normal.... I have my pulmonology clearance coming up in June... then my final pre-op class 6/27/14.

I am still excited, but starting to get a bit nervous too... I have been having a bit of gastritis going on, (as a lot of times it gets triggered with stresses etc) and well that is one fear that is gnawing at me. I try to not read up on too much before the surgery, but one thing that has me scared is I have heard a lot of extreme postings on how dry heaving or vomiting episodes can be a major problem to the surgery site.... some have even strongly warned that it can rip or pop the staple site... has anyone heard this? that truly scares me, especially due to the fact that there are episodes that with my gastritis, it has caused me to get queesy enough to dry heave, etc.... I don't want to be in fear of it causing a rip after surgery... I am trying so hard not to over analyze but I also want to be prepared....

I am guessing fears are normal, especially when you get closer to the surgery date... but I feel a bit like a basket case...lol.

There are so many thoughts going through my mind, I want to be realistic in my thoughts and expectations without being in total fear....does that make any sense??...lol... I have been counting down to this surgery (and still am counting down) but I am also feeling really scared.

Any helpful insights would be appreciated......

Sincerely, Angi

Me too. I'm scheduled for June 10th, and I'm nervous. Mixed emotions.

You'll more than likely be given an antiemetic, which will hopefully help decrease or eliminate nausea for you. Coughing, sneezing, vomiting, sitting up.. basically anything that causes increased internal pressure can be painful though. I would highly recommend taking a small, firm pillow to splint your stomach with for the first couple weeks post-op! Having my silly little dog pillow helped me so much.. it made all those things hurt a lot less. Not to mention, splinting helps protect your incisions too.

I sure can relate..... deep down I know this is the right choice but it sure is frightening... If you ever need to talk of vent, please feel free... I know that seems to help me...

You'll more than likely be given an antiemetic, which will hopefully help decrease or eliminate nausea for you. Coughing, sneezing, vomiting, sitting up.. basically anything that causes increased internal pressure can be painful though. I would highly recommend taking a small, firm pillow to splint your stomach with for the first couple weeks post-op! Having my silly little dog pillow helped me so much.. it made all those things hurt a lot less. Not to mention, splinting helps protect your incisions too.

Thank you so much for your helpful reply.... I am glad to know that despite different things of 'normal life' (sneezing, etc.) though as painful as they may be, they don't seem to be a problem for the surgery site... That was my main worry, hearing that vomiting, etc could cause a rip... I really look forward to getting back into life itself, as I have been fighting various things for so long... I hope to lose all that I need/want to. :)

I sure can relate..... deep down I know this is the right choice but it sure is frightening... If you ever need to talk of vent, please feel free... I know that seems to help me...

Thanks, it's nice to know there are others to talk with. I went for my pre-admittance testing today. :) Same to you - if you need to talk.

I found this sleeve surgery the easiest surgery I have had. The only pain was "gas", and it was mostly in my back the first night. Everything will go well for you. Good luck

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement. I cannot believe how fast seems to be going now. I just completed my final required class this passed Friday. I have my pre-op class this coming Friday then the paperwork starts getting processed etc.

I am excited, but find myself still battling thoughts... one fear I have is, "what if I don't lose the amount of weight I need to?" I don't know if that happens much, but it truly scares me.... I want to have full success and to get to where I truly need to be for my weight/health.

Has anyone else battled this thought?? I know everyone is different, (as every body is different) I tried to look up some info and had to stop myself because I was seeing more negatives come up rather than positives. Many were saying not to expect a great amount of weight loss... which scares me a bit, I know I need to lose over 100 lbs, but I don't see many posts with those results... (not sure of members here, I didn't want to pry into their personal stuff)

Anyway, I am still going forward and truly praying to have the results needed to regain my health. (sorry if I babbled, I truly wanted this to be a Thank You message to all who replied and shared their thoughts and heart)

Sincerely, Angi

I am so right there with you, in fact, I just posted this in another thread (still trying to figure out what goes where!)

"I'm working on laundry, and all of a sudden I got this overwhelming sadness. I should be excited that this will soon be the last time I'm looking at some of the tent-like clothes, but I can't explain it. I should be jumping up and down about this new life I'm embarking on, not mourning my old life full of size 18 clothes, kids embarrassed to be seen with me at the pool, aching joints, and my hermit like tendencies. Don't get me wrong, I'm not having second thoughts about getting sleeved, I'm just wondering of it's normal to have these mixed emotions?"

My surgery is the 30th and I'm kinda all over the place. We got this! Hang in there!

I am so right there with you, in fact, I just posted this in another thread (still trying to figure out what goes where!)

"I'm working on laundry, and all of a sudden I got this overwhelming sadness. I should be excited that this will soon be the last time I'm looking at some of the tent-like clothes, but I can't explain it. I should be jumping up and down about this new life I'm embarking on, not mourning my old life full of size 18 clothes, kids embarrassed to be seen with me at the pool, aching joints, and my hermit like tendencies. Don't get me wrong, I'm not having second thoughts about getting sleeved, I'm just wondering of it's normal to have these mixed emotions?"

My surgery is the 30th and I'm kinda all over the place. We got this! Hang in there!

I can really relate to what you shared... and yes, from what I have heard and continue to hear what we are going through is absolutely normal. The mixed emotions and general roller coaster.... I think it is just a part of thinking things through and in the middle of those thoughts come all the "what if's" etc.

I am waiting on my surgery date, but I expect it to be in July. Best wishes on your surgery. and yes we can do this! =)

Chronicjam, I am right there also.. Thinking about all the things that can go wrong..

I can truly relate to what has been shared. I am trying to keep positive thought and thoughts of what positives I will be gaining (my health, better quality of life, better self esteem, etc.) that helps.... so does reaching out for support in moments of weakness or fear. please feel free to reach out to me and others (if you haven't already) it helps! =)