Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hysterectomy & Sleeve at the same time Questions

Hi All, I'm in the process of being scheduled for my sleeve and they are going to do a hysterectomy at the same time. I have been have random episodes of uncontrolled bleeding, the last one lasted 35 days. They couldn't figure out why it started and they played hell getting it to stop. My surgeon agreed to do both at the same time since it was a bleeding issue. I'm curious if anyone else has done this and what the recovery was like? How long were you out of work? Any advice to offer? Thanks in advance for your time :)

I know of people who had hernias removed at same time and did fine. Your lucky. They found a cyst on my ovary and I had to go back in for surgery 5 weeks after sleeve. Good thing they can do youra all at once

I am a surgical nurse and have never seen a sleeve and a hysterectomy at the same time. That is a lot of surgery at same time. Is your surgeon doing both procedures or is another surgeon doing the hysterectomy?

I had a hysterectomy in February and had to push out my sleeve surgery. Both my Obgyn and weight loss surgeon said both procedures could not be done at the time. My sleeve surgeon said on top of the fact that both surgeries are pretty invasive, the major concern is the length of time you would need to be under. Each procedure ca be 2 to 3 hours or more. The longer you are under it greatly increases your risk of a blood clot and infections. My sleeve surgeon said 4 to 6 months between surgeries and my info was just submitted to insurance last week.

Good luck to you however you decide to proceed.

I had both and could not imagine having both at the same time! I had my hysterectomy two years before. I had pretty easy recoveries with both but to do both would have been overwhelming. I was out a month with the hysterectomy, bladder sling, both ovaries removed. I went home and had problems urinating, so ended up having to have a catheter at home for a few days. Pain was considerably more and had to be real careful getting up, down, etc. for weeks. For the sleeve, boy was it wonderful not being sore "down there". I could not have dealt with trying to get my fluids in and progressing through the diet stages (clear liquids, liquids, puréed, soft, etc.) during the hysterectomy recovery. I feel like I had more than I could deal with at a time doing them separately.

I have a separate GYN surgeon doing the hysterectomy. You are right that it's a lot & I'm not sure it's done as a general rule but for me it's necessary. I've had 3 c-sections so I'm guessing it would along those lines for pain, at least the pelvic pain. They think I will be in patient a little longer as well.

Thanks very much :-) I'm hoping to have my date tomorrow :-)

Like others I have had both and I can't see doing them at the same time. I actually think my hysterectomy recovery was worse than sleeve. I hope they keep you in several days to a week with pain pump. I will definitely pray for a quick recovery for you.

Will you have plenty of help once you get home?

I have a great husband who is amazing at keeping things under control but we have 3 kids under 10 years old. I've had lots of offers for help and my Mother in Law will be coming to stay for a bit to help. The last I heard they were planning on at least 5 days in the hospital. We'll see. Things change minute to minute lately