Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Oh wow...only 5 more days for me too! I am excited and scared at the same time.....I feel like I am loosing a part of my life that, although caused so much pain, physically and mentally, was a part of my life. I will be a new person at 56....

thats the problem....i feel fine. I dont feel weak, no aches of any kind... I am just not eating...

Robgoblin,

The ladies have a point. Eat something.

One member mentioned that she made a shake with yogurt, milk, and ice for dinner. I tried that and it was yummy. Maybe you can try that, Robgoblin.

Variety would certainly make it much easier for all of us. What are all the food items that have similar nutritional content/value/restriction to yogurt, cottage cheese and/or chicken breast or more important, to the purpose of this exercise - which is to shrink the liver? If there is a list, it would make the pre-op diet much more tolerable. That is one thing that could be improved upon by the TLBC clinic.

I was told that Dr. Coubourn/Mumford's clinic allows its pre-op diet to include (aside from Optifast) various green vegetables. Contrary to TLBC, their clinic disallow dairy products. I am going to contact TLBC to enquire about the matter. I'll let you know once I get an answer. Maybe you can eat something then. Of course, you can contact them yourself as well to get a quicker answer.

I am starting my 4th day of pre-op diet today. It is not as bad as I thought. I thought that I would feel very uncomfortable with seeing other people eat real food but I am actually not. Last night, my family and I went out for one of those scrumptious multi-course chinese dinner. Of course, I could not eat a thing on the table but I was generally o.k. with it. The one thing that was hard to resist was the scallop fried rice - so yummy looking.

Trying to explain why I could not eat the food was more uncomfortable than not eating itself. Luckily, no one questioned me when I told them that my doctor has put me on a very strict diet to bring my weight down because my blood pressure is too high.

This support site has been tremendously helpful to all us that are trying hard to hang in there. Thank you very much to everyone.

Hi: Remember, you have to have a healthy body to heal. So eat. Close your eyes and imagine you are eating your favorite food but whatever, don't let the cravings take control. You can do it. Doddie

Cat...don't forget though that the reason the other clinic (Mumford/Coborn) don't allow dairy products on the pre-op diet is because they are using Optifast.

To be honest, I was really surprised when I found out (not too long ago) that the Optifast pre-op diet also included the green veggies etc....here all along I had thought it was JUST optifast. Anyways, that is why they don't allow the dairy.

In a perfect world, TLBC would want their patients doing a pre-op to JUST have the yogurt/cottage cheese...they "allow" the chicken breast and green veggies (for part...not all of the pre-op diet) under special circumstances for pers who really "require" it (based on each individual's case). I know people look for "substitutions"...but really...lets be honest, there is no equal substitution and the best thing is to try and stick to the plan. I personally found it easier being told exactly what to have...if they started to find foods with similar qualities serving the same purpose, it would open up the door way too much (& I don't believe would be as effective as the Y. CC) and pers would start to "stray", if ya know what I mean!!!

But YES....Robgoblin: EAT!!!

Argh....I caved...i had a sliver (Not a lot!!!) of pizza....i feel so bad because today I had food paraded around me (family reunion) and i held strong, really good food that my aunt makes, she's a great cook. Then when i get home my roomate's leftover pizza got me....how the hell does that make sense. I feel like i have to post it here, i'm accountable, i'm not hiding it like i usually do. I have lost nearly 20 pounds in 6 days. 4 to go...and i swore to myself i will now be eating the yogurt...(i probably won't be eating yogurt for a long time after the surgery even though i used to love it). I don't think i screwed up the liver shrinking...i HOPE i didnt...I mean, i did 6 days of NO cheating, And only chat now with what would've been 1-2 bites in the past. And in reality i'm doing closer to 11 days...but anyhow...my remaining time...I WILL BE STRONG!!!!!!!!

This HAS to be one of the hardest things ever.

Robgoblin,

You lost 20 lbs in 6 days? That's amazing. I only lost 3 lbs in 3 days.

I know it's very hard. That why I said it would have been more tolerable to have a variety. Yoda said she found it easier to stick to a few fixed items. I personally would do better with a larger variety of equally allowable items.

Hang in there, Robgoblin. We'll be on the banded side in a few days. Of course, we still have a series of diet restrictions to follow after that. We'll support each other through it - we'll make it!

I had a good weekend with no cheats (after Friday night - I had a chicken drumstick). I more day of this cc&Y and then liquids tomorrow. I welcome the liquids!

We can do it guys - counting down the days.

Robgoblin....don't worry 'bout it man. Live and learn...right?! Yeah, it doesn't make sense (what does?) but it is likely because you were so strong and resisted your Aunt's food that you caved when you saw the leftover pizza. A teeny slice probably won't have an impact...so don't fret and just learn from your slip up.

I also think it is the fact that you weren't eating at all that led you to it!!! Moreso that than the lack of variety of choices....as, in your case, you just weren't eating....tis a recipe for slippin' up, if ya know what I mean!

You don't have much time left....just do the Y.CC. and Jello thing and your time will be here in no time. At least if your tummy is "full" on the above, you won't slide that pizza (or whatever) down your mouth...or at least you'll be less likely!

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

Cat excellent posting and research. I fully intend to copy your post and read it from time to time. Also to pass it on to others. Doddie

What do you guys think of pickles?? they dont have any fat or sugar, and a lot of people have posts that they ate these and they are lifesavers?? Comments please. I would just really like to bite down on some hard food...and it seems like pickles wouldnt have any of the bad things in them that would go against your liver shrinking.

Hi Watch out for salt. You don't need higher blood pressure as your BP will increase at OR time. Doddie

What do you guys think of pickles?? they dont have any fat or sugar, and a lot of people have posts that they ate these and they are lifesavers?? Comments please. I would just really like to bite down on some hard food...and it seems like pickles wouldnt have any of the bad things in them that would go against your liver shrinking.

I used them as a lifesave while I was on the Optifast diet for TSWLC, so I cant comment on them for TLBC diet.

Stick with the CC&Y guys, you are doing great. Ask your clinic about the pickles, but watch out they can pack alot of sodium.

You only have a couple of days left, hang in there.

Andrew