Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How the heck do you keep your carbs under 50 when a banana is 30 carbs?!

Ok someone help because I'm seriously having a hard time keeping my carbs under 50!

Don't worry too much about carbs as long as you avoid starchy foods and sugars you'll be ok. If you eat Protein first and get your carbs from veggies you can't fit much more anyway. Now seriously can you eat a whole banana? that means you havent eaten any protein first. If you eat a couple spoonfuls of greek yougurt and/or some nuts you cant get more than 1/2 a banana down

Don't worry too much about carbs as long as you avoid starchy foods and sugars you'll be ok. If you eat Protein first and get your carbs from veggies you can't fit much more anyway. Now seriously can you eat a whole banana? that means you havent eaten any protein first. If you eat a couple spoonfuls of greek yougurt and/or some nuts you cant get more than 1/2 a banana down

I put the banana in my Protein Shake this morning. But if I eat it, you're right I can only eat 1/2.

I don't eat much fruit, if so it should be a couple tablespoons. You need to stick to Protein and you won't need much fruit. If you really want the flavor then look for a low carb banana flavored Protein Powder and mix it with almond milk.

If you do low carb you don't eat a whole banana. What phase are you in?

Please tell me what you eat then bc I'm seriously getting bored w the same foods over and over!

Regular food phase

Since you're on regular food, your possibilities are limitless. For instance, this morning I ate a scrambled egg with cheese and a slice of turkey bacon. (3 carbs). Snack- Beef jerkey (3 carbs). lunch will be a grilled chicken salad with light dressing (about 6 or 7 carbs). Dinner- Garlic shrimp over baby spinach. (2 carbs). I tend to eat a lot of salads, but I love salads. Plus it helps keep things moving. You can eat any meat. I have even fried chicken breasts in soy flour... Actually tasty and only like 2 carbs in the little bit used to bread it. If you google low carb recipes, there are THOUSANDS. And if you get your carbs from the right things, veggies and a little fruit, it's not that bad. Good luck on the finding something new to eat. You just have to look at food differently now.

My surgeon has the rule "Don't drink your calories"... and even though it may make a Protein shake tolerable, I think adding a banana to it is adding too many calories / carbs.

I'd go along with the other suggestions -- if it's the banana taste you like, try banana flavored Protein shakes. Or, eat all your Proteins first and then have part of a banana after only if you have room and are still hungry.

It's the same thing as drinking fruit juice -- you can consume a lot more fruit juice than if you just ate a piece of fruit. The additional bulk of eating the food instead of drinking makes a big difference on feeling full.

Carbs was always my concern, but my nutritionist always stressed that as long as go for the good carbs and try to stay away from the empty calories, you should be good...that's what I try to practice now. As far as getting bored, I think my main thing is I get lazy and want something fast and easy. As long as I take the time and effort, they say the possibilities are endless!

Wishing you the best success!!

Edited by BryBro63

Once you are post op and in regular foods the reason for low carb is to maximize your weight loss. If your NUT didn't give you an eating plan, ask for one. If you can't really handle low carb, ask her for a plan you can live with.

Mine was more moderate carb ( I went low carb later, on my own). I wouldn't add a banana to a Protein drink. If I felt the need to I would slice it into 4 parts, freeze 3 of them, and use 1/4 banana at once. The key is Portion Control of healthy carbs like fruit.< /p>

I eat alot of egg beaters, veggies, meat, fish, seafood of all types, lettuce, brocoli and other low carb veggies. The only "fruit" I eat daily are berries as they are lower carb and lower sugar.

I don't eat rice, Pasta, bread and most fruits on a regular basis.

Sounds strange, but I have lost my "foodie' inclinations and am not bored by food, not particularly interested in it it either. That did NOT happen immediately though.

Thank you everyone for your input! I think part of the reason I'm having such a hard time is I'm not much of a cook, my husband does most of the cooking and I have literally no time to prepare my meals. I'm a teacher and I live over an hour from my job plus I have two kids. I know once school is out I'll have more time to try making some new things but honestly right now I'm looking for convenient! I am really missing carbs too so I'm having a very hard time!!

This is an awesome thread. My Protein always reaches 80+ per day but my carbs range between 85-110. I eat a lot of fruit, veggies, yogurt, and eat Quest bars a few times per week. I do eat meat but it isn't my favorite and I hate fish so I really struggle. Any suggestions are most welcomed.

I keep my carbs under 60 so bananas are off the table for me. The only fruits I eat are berries, prunes, small servings of peaches or nectarines, and occasionally a little unsweetened applesauce . My staples are meat, green veggies, Protein Shakes (I do not add fruit to them!), Beans and lentils, and dairy. Most fruit, starchy veggies, and grains are just not in my diet except under very rare circumstances.

When was everyone allowed to eat raw vegetables like salads? I'm 6 weeks out and not sure when I can start eating them. My doctor didn't give me any specific guidelines he just told me to start adding new foods.