Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fish Oil, Vit E for dry skin and hair? Is it helpful?

MY oily skin and scalp are drying out at 9 weeks post op. Curious if Fish Oil and or Vit E has been helpful to you? Or, any suggestions for lifeless skin and hair? Already taking Biotin and all the other normal post Vit cocktail. Faithful with suppliments. Slowly loosing. Not enough Water but I'm trying.

This is in no means a plug, but I love Nuxe body oil. You can use it for hair, nails, skin...it smells delicious and really is an all-in-one product. it's from France but I know it is now marketed in the USA. Here it's called Huile Prodigieuse. You can even buy it with little gold flakes in it which makes you look all sparkly.

You know I'm wondering about the efficacy of Biotin. I've heard so many that say it didn't help compared to who it did.

If I'm vain about anything, it's my hair. It's thick and I can stand to lose a little. But the lackluster/dryness of it is worrisome. I've been taking Biotin 5000 since before surgery. I'm starting to shed at 9 weeks. But, my nails are the strongest they've ever been. It definitly had a good effect on my nails. I've been through the shedding before with both my pregnancies. It comes back and I have plenty to spare but I'm just hoping it's not more severe. It's just "frizzy" and dry. It definitly wasn't dry after pregnancy. And my skin has never been dry.

I'll look for the oil. My skin is soooo dry, especially in the looser areas.

During my second month ost-op, my fingernails started to break off in little pieces. Also, my skin got very dry and itchy. I started taking Biotin 10,000 mg and a hair, skin, and nails (with gelatin) supplement. With every other shower, I exfoliate every part of me that I can reach and then rub Sweet Almond Oil all over. My nails responded very well, and my skin has healed and feels as soft as a baby.

hair is a different story. During a mid-March visit with my bariatric physician, she told me that it is my turn to start watching the shower drain for falling hair. I have noticed more individual hairs on the furniture and about the house, but haven't seen a clump yet. My boyfriend is very supportive and aware that losing hair is given part of this process, although the volume is different for everybody. He told me that if falling hair reduces me to tears, he would just hold me tighter. For right now, my hair is softer than it has ever been.

During my second month ost-op, my fingernails started to break off in little pieces. Also, my skin got very dry and itchy. I started taking Biotin 10,000 mg and a hair, skin, and nails (with gelatin) supplement. With every other shower, I exfoliate every part of me that I can reach and then rub Sweet Almond Oil all over. My nails responded very well, and my skin has healed and feels as soft as a baby.

hair is a different story. During a mid-March visit with my bariatric physician, she told me that it is my turn to start watching the shower drain for falling hair. I have noticed more individual hairs on the furniture and about the house, but haven't seen a clump yet. My boyfriend is very supportive and aware that losing hair is given part of this process, although the volume is different for everybody. He told me that if falling hair reduces me to tears, he would just hold me tighter. For right now, my hair is softer than it has ever been.

Wow! Your boyfriend sounds like a keeper! that is so sweet!

Fish oil is supposed to be very good for heart health, so I take a chewable supplement which doesn't have a fishy taste. (Although it isn't as yummy as my Fiber gummies.) If you do decide to go the supplement route, you want to find a fish oil pill that advertises no aftertaste on their label. Burping up a fish flavor is GAWD AWFUL!

Wow, you women notice every little detail. I could wake up with three hairs left on my head and I would have never noticed it was thinning. And fingernails.......who notices fingernails. There is more change watching grass grow. :huh:

Things may change or occur as a result of our VSG, but when asking if any particular Vitamin or product makes a difference after VSG......there is just no way to know. Some will lose hair. Some won't. Some will be tired. Others won't You could take the pills and still lose hair. Or not. There is no way to know if it was the pills, or lotion, or if you results would have been the same regardless of taking anything. If you have nothing to compare your individual situation with, then there is no basis to suggest any pills or products made a difference.

So, you can take 'em if you want. I guess there is no harm in believing it makes a difference. ;)