Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Failed Lapband Patient

I found this video on YouTube. Am I the only one that wants to just scream at this girl? I can't believe this doctor is posting this video!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eo82IT1FlFc]YouTube - Failed Band Patient Converted to MGB[/ame]

In most cases IS your fault if it fails! You have to work WITH your band. Its not a cure. What a moron. Sounds to me that she was way too full. And now she has no fill its still "hard to eat" and she feels "restricted"? More like she couldn't adjust to the smaller portions. She wasn't willing to change her lifestyle. I bet she has issues with her bypass.

I know the band doesn't work for everyone, but I can see why her band surgeon wouldn't then do a bypass afterwards.

Wow--it does sound like she was too full, or that she was not chewing her food well enough. I don't think gastric bypass will be her answer either, because I've heard that you are more likely to gain weight back after gastric bypass than with the lapband. It sounds to me like she was expecting a miracle, and was not willing to follow the rules that come with the band, and doesn't want to admit that. It's always easier to blame someone else, isn't it? I could eat chips and ice cream too if I wanted to, I just choose not to, and all that "good" food I eat goes down just fine, and I have never thrown up.

How terribly irresponsible and self-serving for this doctor to put that video, and all the others that he's got posted on youtube.

the lapband is a tool... not a miracle cure. if your not willing to change urself.. urself will never change.. i had a sis in law who did the same thing, she hated that her band stopped her from eating as much as she wants, so she got it removed and is fatter now then ever.

I didn't watch the video becasue my audio isn't working, but who are we to criticize someone who fails at weight loss???? These comments sound like ones I've heard all my life. Good grief. I'm sad for people who don't succeed with the band, and I know some folks have more of a struggle with eating disorders than others. Sad....not critical.

Betsy it is not so much the fact that the lady did not lose with the band but as how that doctor is portraying the band as a bad thing.

Yes, there are some leading questions asked, if you watch the clip.

This is just my opinion (and I think is why my Dr makes his patients see a psych pre banding), but if you aren't ready to make the changes, then why get the surgery? If you're not ready to eat a quarter or less of what you used to, and exercise, and make better food choices, and CHEW more than you have ever chewed before and listen to your body (ie when you are TOO full), then maybe the band, or WLS in general just isn't for you just yet. Its not just a physical change, you have to change your way of thinking, and living too.

Maybe I was lucky that I had a Dr who educates his patients and has a consultant on call 24 hours a day to call if you have any complications or just need to run ideas/thoughts/problems/questions past her etc. But I would have never had some one cut me open and do the surgery if I wasn't 100% sure that I could commit to the changes required of me.

I just sounds to me that this girl wasn't happy about the changes the band meant she had to make in her life. She sure sounds like she thinks the bypass will be the fix for her. Maybe it was, I just hope this Youtube Dr educated her about her eating habits and how much they needed to change again.

I understand. I just think that even if we think we're ready...we've been ready and dedicated in the past, and failed. We might kick the Dr., but I'm not tready to kick anyone who fails at weight loss....

One of the stressed points made to me about LapBand was it was only a tool and you have to make changes to make it work like stated above. I also know that of the bypass surgery, which you can gain back weight. there was a person at my orientation that had the bypass and was there for the band. So it can go both ways. My surgeon said he would hesitate approving this for the person may not have made the committment to change her pschological aspects and that may not be ready. I think this is smart.

I think the doctor on this utube thing is just trying to make money! Trying to sell his patients. How many of his bypass patients will come back saying they can't lose weight either ?

I am not attacking the woman he chose, just the doctor for using them for his own agenda!

I understand. I just think that even if we think we're ready...we've been ready and dedicated in the past, and failed. We might kick the Dr., but I'm not tready to kick anyone who fails at weight loss....

Ok maybe my fisr post was a tad harsh, I wasn't so much kicking her, but her attitude. But all I was trying to say is she doesn't seem to have gone into her LB with all the knowledge and preparedness as I can claim I was. I researched what I was spending my hard earned money on - I spoke to other patients. I saw an optional nutrionist, went to a seminar, spoke to my surgeon's consultant and had several appointments with my surgeon. Again, I wouldn't let some one cut me open unless I knew what I was getting myself in for, for the long term. Any one with any insight into the band KNOWS that its not a quick fix, and it isn't easy. I've worked hard to lose the almost 70lbs I have. There is a lot of info and research out there about the LB now, if you go looking for it.

So, why kick the surgeon? Do you mean the LB surgeon? She CHOSE to go with that surgeon. She went ahead with the procedure with the apparently limited info she was given. She made the decision. She could have done more of her own research, or gotten another opinion.

If you are talking about the bypass surgeon, then yes, kick him hard. He is taking advantage of disheartened people who are at a point of desperation. Shame on him. But still - I can't help think that the failure of her band can't just be because of the surgeon/surgery. Maybe I am wrong - I'm not a qualified medical profesional, obviously.

I don't know, if my LB surgeon said the things she said hers said to her, I would have gotten a second opinion immediately.

I believe HIPPA regulations are being broken with those posts. Amazes me they can even be on there.

(sigh) There are several different things that coupld have happend. One, during the time she was banded, she was offered a smaller more restrictive band. From what I hear, that band did/does cause more PBing in people. Two, IMO, this girl was saying she could eat mushier foods. Yes, she was not trying to eat the healthy mushies. She was eating ice cream, potato chips, and as she said, CRAP. To me, this sounds like a person who wants a quick fix. She did noy use her band the way it should have been used.

My mother in law had the gastric bypass. I told my husband that do to the way she eats, she will have some serious problems post op. She lost over 150 pounds within a years time. But now, whenever she eats, she can eat a whole plate of food and the dessert. I worry for people who can not control what they eat.

When I got this band on March 29, 2007, it was a HUGE eye opener for me. I did not consider the mental aspect of this surgery. I just assumed that I would be full and not eat. There is so much head hunger that I literally have to talk to myself of why I am wanting to eat even when I am not hungry!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE anyone who is considering the band, remember that the biggest obstical is not losing the weight, it is facing yourself and why you are overweight. I counsel myself on a daily basis now. I am worth more than my head hunger! I am worth more than my obsession with food. I will work my band because it helps me. But I help myself more with the logic and understanding I have for myself and why I am addicted to food.