Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did your Doc require a pre-op diet?

2 members have voted

1. 1. Did your Doc require a pre-op diet?

• No
    • Yes, a liquid diet
    • Yes, modified fat, carbs, protein

Drasan,,, everything your doctor's are saying is pretty much what I was told as well. I was told that I should practice taking small bites, chewing 30 times and watching everything I eat, staying away from breads, pasta's and rice because after surgery, those things can be hard on you. I won't even lie to you about my two week liquid diet, ,, it was hard. But every day got a little easier. I could have liquids, 3 Atkins shakes a day and about 2 cups of green vegi's. I was having a hard time, so my doctor said to increase my Protein Shake to 4 a day and try to drink more chicken broth for the salt,,, it really helped. What also helped a lot with the shakes were to put them in the blender with some ice,,, it make it a bit different and sometimes on liquids,,, you just need different, lol:-)

I had my surgery on Oct. 21st and after the 2 week liquid diet,,, I had lost 17 pounds. So keep that in mind,,, it's exciting to know you lost weight before the surgery. I'm still on mushies to help the healing process,,, but I won't get my first fill for 3 more weeks.

Good luck to you,,, I know you have heard this,,, but believe me,,, the time will go by with the dreaded liquids and you will be on the other side of this journey.

MyBandJourny

Thanks for your comments. It's great to hear from somebody who is a just a few steps ahead of me.

The most difficult thing for me at this point, is not to drink anything with my meals. I'm trying to drink as much Water as I can but I haven't gotten the hang of the schedule competely yet. I feel like I'm either watching the clock waiting for enough time to pass to drink something or missing that time and then it's time for a snack.

Is it really this strict after the surgery? I mean really? NO liquids with meals? I mean, my dietician told me to drain the liquid from any Soup I would eat for lunch. Really?

My doctor has me on modified diet for 2 wks prior to sx. It consists of 2 Protein Shakes, 2 lean cuisine meals(less than 220 cal each) and 1 cup of vegs and 1/2 cup of fruit per day. 24 hours prior liquids only. Down 8 lbs in 10 days following this. 3 DAYS LEFT unitl BANDED!

Right now, I'm on a high Protein semi-low carb diet, which switches to very low to no carb diet on 12/7, 10 days prior to my surgery. I've been doing pretty good except for this holiday weekend. So I'm back on the wagon.

Both pre and post

Both pre and post

I get banded January 11. I am required to be on a 2 week pre-op liquid diet, and 2 weeks post-op. Today is day one for me.

Drasan-not drinking with meals is something we all have to come to terms with. I'm thinking you've probably had your surgery by now and are pretty adept at not drinking with meals. The main reason of course is to slow down the emptying of the pouch so we don't feel hungry too soon. Also, I have found when I eat too much and get overfilled Water or another liquid doesn't help. I was never told to drain liquid from Soup before eating it. Sometimes I live on soup when my band is being finicky and tight. One spoonful at a time kind of helps and at least I get some nourishment with it. Let us know how you are doing and if you've mastered the not drinking thing. OK?

I had to lose 5 lbs in a week. I lost 11 doing low carb and small portions, lots of Egg Beaters. Day before surgery was all Clear Liquids and laxative (ick).

My doctor is requiring a two-week liquid diet before and a four-week liquid diet after being banded. He also wants me to lose 10 percent of my starting weight before my surgery date.

I am only into the 2nd month of my 6 month wait for the surgery. They gave me papers telling me what will take place from the initial consult till surgery. I will have to be a on liquid diet for 2 weeks prior and 2 weeks after surgery.

I am also right now on a 1500 cal diet. I haven't stuck to it, but have begun watching every single thing I eat and turning away from things I shouldn't have. I have lost 6 pounds... I am sure that I will lose more the more I follow the 1500 cal diet. And now that Christmas is over, the reality of it has kicked in, and I am trying to adhere to it as best as I can.

How did you guys do with family members who weren't exactly 'helping' in the support department? Did you find it difficult to drink your shake while preparing a meal for the rest of the family? I also have 2 kids, and am thinking it's going to be tougher come the time for the liquids only... anyone else have any problems???

I am in the middle of my 6 months supervised diet, hoping to be banded in Feb or March. However the surgeon says no pre op other than just watch what I eat before and fast 12 hours before.

I am on day 2 of my 14 day pre-op diet. I'm allowed to have 2-3 Protein Drinks / day (as long as they have less than 5g of carbs, less than 5 gms of sugar, less than 5 gms of fat and MORE than 15 gms of protein) and one meal (palm sized) of chicken/fish/turkey and vegetables. Wish me luck!!! I'm so excited to get started that I'm into day two and loving it!!!! is that weird?????? ha ha