Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2007 Bandsters

Steph ~ All I can say is "WOW" on the Protein Bars. They didn't have the Peanut Butter ones, just the caramel chocolate nut. They are delicious. Thanks for the info on the smoothie too. Right now I'm using the EAS AdvantEdge shakes. I can get them by the case at Sam's Club.

Question for everyone ~ Were you given a specific amount of Protein to intake each day after surgery. I was told 59 grams a day "No more and No less". At first I thought holy crap that's a lot, but that's when I was on liquids only. Once I started real foods it was hard to stay under it. They said that too much protein can hinder weight loss. Please shed some words of wisdom my way.

So glad you like the Protein bars, Karla. As far as how much protein to take in each day, this is the only thread where I won't quote my protein intake any more. There are some on here that get upset at my numbers. The best suggestion is to go back to your doc now that you are on "real food" and ask for an update. Your doc's advice trumps all. Make sure you tell him what your activity level is, too...that is a critical component of making that assessment.

That being said...I can give you some links and you can decide for yourself, as well. Docs "as a general rule" give protein intake guidelines without knowing activity level and "seem" to assume the bandster is inactive. Thus, the abnormally low protein guidelines. If you want more info, PM me and I'll be glad to share.

But as far as how much can your body absorb at one time, it depends on the type of protein and the timing of consuming it. Casein Protein should be consumed before bed, as you are basically going an average of 8 hours without eating, and Casein Protein can "feed" your body for up to 7 hours. whey Protein, and Whey Protein Isolate (they are different), are used by your body generally within 2 hours, which is why it is the most common, and is what is used all day except before bed. There are other kinds of protein, of course, but Whey Protein Isolate is what most folks use and what is in almost all Protein Shakes and bars. Whey Protein Isolate is preferred overall. After excercise is when your body needs protein the most, and there are "standards" for what you should consume and also within specific times before or after exercise.

Yes, I could write a book on this subject! It doesn't hurt that I have several older family members that are either nutritionists or research scientists who are avid lifetime learners. I pick their brains and read TONS on this subject.

Hi everyone!

I've been lurking for a long time lol just thought that I would check in and say hi and wow everyone is doing so wonderfully! I checked in often before and just after my surgery last June and then just have come back once in a while since.

How is everyone getting the weight off? Are you exercising a lot? Are you following an eating plan of some sort? What kinds of exercise are you doing? I started to do an eating plan given to me by a personal trainer and explained the entire surgery and even documented what I ate for a week so she would understand my portion sizes and she still was expecting me to eat too much at do it 5-6 times a day so I'm very frusterated and obviously that didn't work for me. I'm back to basically grazing and hoping that I make good choices most of the time. On this, I am consistently losing about 6 lbs a month. I would love to speed things up a little, I did plateau for about 2 months coincidentally when I began exercising wierd!

Anyways, you gals are all doing so wonderfully!

Oh, and kinda funny timing after all the MySpace hubbub on here...

My sis sent us an invite to view her Facebook, and you have to create an account I suppose, so hubby created one for us (me, lol). So if you are on Facebook, this is my page:

Stefanie Stanphill | Facebook

I'm still trying to get the hang of it, though!

The friggin' scale is NOT my friend!!!! Can't break the plateau---Is there a 1 in my future...will I ever see 199?????????????????????????

I've been eating properly--exercising--doing the Couch Potato to 5K training 3 times a week--and no movement!! URGH!!!!

I had an appt for a fill on 26th of this month...God is good--I called today to see if there had been any cancellations--so I am going in this Wed--I think I'll say "fill 'er up!!!" I guess I'm being anxious------

just needed to vent!!!!

Thanks for reading

(((((((((((BIGBABY))))))))))))) You'll get there. It's probably an exercise plateau like mentioned in another post. You'll prob get a big WHOOSH! Then you'll be chasing Stef!

Good luck with your fill!

Is anyone else having trouble getting their Water in? I'm starting to hate the taste of just plain water. Since I can't drink with meals, or before.....or after.....okay so when? I'm sure the only fluids I'm getting are from my coffee (a dehydrater) and water from foods....salads, etc. I find myself sipping throughout the night when I get up to pee...another lovely benefit from having high blood sugar is peeing at night...so I try to limit before bed and only sip to get my mouth moist. Being thirsty means you're already dehydrated.

Anyway, any suggestions or tricks/tips/advice?

I fill up my jug at work at 7:30am every morning and I usually refill it at least once. I just kinda sip on it throughout the day... At home in the evenings I"m addicted to teh OceanSpray Diet Cranberry Grape juice. Only 5 calories per serving - and if you drink the entire container (64 oz) it's only 40 cals. Haha.

Is anyone else having trouble getting their Water in? I'm starting to hate the taste of just plain water. Since I can't drink with meals, or before.....or after.....okay so when? I'm sure the only fluids I'm getting are from my coffee (a dehydrater) and water from foods....salads, etc. I find myself sipping throughout the night when I get up to pee...another lovely benefit from having high blood sugar is peeing at night...so I try to limit before bed and only sip to get my mouth moist. Being thirsty means you're already dehydrated.

Anyway, any suggestions or tricks/tips/advice?

I don't drink water. But I do have plenty of fluids. As your doc but even koolaid w/ splenda is better than nothing.

I royally suck at getting my Water in!!! I drink about 2 cups of coffee a day; most days that's it for liquids. (I know - horrid, right?!?!)

Sometimes I'll have maybe 1/2 cup of tea (the amount I can get in before my lunch arrives). Every now and then I'll actually get a cup of water or two. (maybe twice a week if I'm lucky)

Suzzie - that diet cranberry/grape sounds delish!!! I'm going to get some and see if that helps. I used to drink a lot of lemonade by crystal lite and that gets old.

BigBaby - the You'll be in Onederland before you know it!! I've been stuck forever and it's starting to move again. I really think it's your exercising! Are you clothes fitting differently? Even though I've only lost 2 pounds this month, I went down a size in clothes!!!!!! I can also feel the muscle tone in my legs from all this jogging!

My regular doc and my lapband doc both said Crystal Light counts as Water, too. That's how I got it in for a long, long time. I got tired of it and went back to plain water, but I'm sure I'll switch back and forth periodically.

I drink quite a bit in between eating. I drink right up until I eat , and I do take the tiniest sips with my meal if it's something spicy. I do wait an hour after eating as a general rule, though.

During my workouts is when I get the most in...two 32 oz. bottles minimum during the two-hour span Monday thru Friday. I'm still lifting pretty heavy in the gym, so I get extremely thirsty. My Camelback (hydration backpack) is 100 oz. and I can darn near empty it on my long bike rides on the weekends.

I go to Sam's and purchase cases of Ozarka 24oz bottles.

I go to Wal-mart and get my favorite Crystal Lights (all of the tea)

Crystal Light carries me through the day. I typicall get in 2-3 bottles a day. So I'm getting anywhere from 48oz-72oz a day.

Favorite Crystal Light: peach tea, ice tea, raspberry tea, peach mango tea, manderine orange tea

I am losing inches...no doubt...but it would be nice to see my weight start with a 1!!!!! I am trying to see how I can increase my exercise from 3x a week to 3-5x...I wish I could be like those who lose 8lbs-10lbs with no exercise. However, I realize that they are probably eating 1 or 2 bites of food for each meal---which I don't think is healthy.

I went to wal-mart and purchased some Biotin tonight. I'll let you know if it works.

Glad to dropped in Terranne. I hope others do the same.

Question for everyone ~ Were you given a specific amount of Protein to intake each day after surgery.

No, no specific amount. I saw a dietician several times but she wasn't of the massive doses of protein persuasion - just a balanced diet. I was a vegan anyway so the protein/carbs balance hasn't changed that much for me.

I am suprised when I see all the protein some of you eat but I can see that it works for you, especially those who go to the gym. I guess not being able to eat as much meat is a factor.

why can't I be like those bandsters who never work out and still love 2lbs a week????????????????

why, why, why.......

still venting!!!