Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2007 Bandsters

So what are you saying Danbo, that you could have done this without the band? That you're afraid of gaining the weight back? I don't get it. Well, maybe I do.

As far as doing it without the band, I think going under the knife give us the "it's serious now" incentive that maybe some of us need to know it's life or death. You're not my age...by a long shot...but for me the time has come that my weight has affected my life, literally. My life has been shortenend by developing diabetes. That was something imminent in your future. You're no doubt aware. Heart disease. That's something else you put yourself at risk for by being morbidly obese. Now, your risk is nil. Your lifestyle. How has that changed? What was the impetus for chosing the path you did with surgery?

As far as gaining it back, if you keep the lapband, which I assume you will, you stand little to no chance of gaining back with it in place. Even if your stopped working out, you would not be able to return to your former eating habits if you keep properly restricted. NOW you can use your band as the tool is was meant to be! Whoa!!!!

I understand your feelings of insecurity, even though my experience is far different from yours. You have had almost "overnight" success with little of the struggle of those of use along the journey with you. Naturally you question that. Your experience is quite out of the ordinary. Still, you have accomplished much, and you have succeeded in what you set out to do. It may take some time for your mind to catch up, but I think..... you should just accept it, embrace it....feel accomplished....and move on. Do what you want with your life without the encumbrances and hinderances of your weight. It would be hard for me to glean from your example, and follow your path, but I Celebrate your success nonetheless.

Whoa, Rhonda....that was really thoughtful and powerful!!!!

Dan, thanks for sharing with us and being so candid. I even had the thought once of "what if I had gotten gastric bypass instead?" and I DO get the heebie jeebies from my port---it bugs me. Lots of things bug me, but you have so much effort and success behind your weightloss, I'm really so happy for you.

Thanks again!

Toni

Sheila, I've actually had 3 fills. I'm at 3cc in a 4cc band. There are days that I can eat anything...and there are days that nearly everything gets stuck or I feel full all day. I do my best to only eat the three meals, and do so only if hungry and make sure to get in my Protein. Some ideas I stick to:

1.) Keep a 32 oz. cup of water/crystal light nearby at all times and sip/drink often. - Refil at least once a day

2.) Vary my meals: Breakfast may be a banana with Peanut Butter and granola one day, smoothie with protien powder one day, sausage balls, cheese grits and turkey bacon; lunch may be leftovers, Soup and chicken salad (no bread), tuna salad and cottage cheese with pineapple; dinner varies too...this week it's Crockpot Herbed chicken & Shrimp with whole wheat linquine, Crockpot Ground Beef Stroganoff, Crockpot Chicken & Veggie Alfredo, Cajun Turkey Bugers and Cajun Baked Fries.

3.) Exercise. I've been horrible the last two weeks because of this infection and open area at my incision site. I need to get back on the ball.

You're doing great! I often get discouraged, thinking why can't I have lost 50 pounds already?! But I take a step back and realize that I am almost at a lower weight than husband's known me at, I have more energy already for my toddlers, I'm down from a 3x top to a 1x top...I am doing my best to concentrate on the positives.

Hope this helps!!! ;)

Where do you get the crock pot recipes? I'm always stumped on things to do in those for some reason...

Yes Suz, let us know if it works.... do you mind me asking how much it was? Can anyone tell me if you think eating a whole Lean Quisine is too much at one time? I can seem to eat diddly at breakfast, but by supper I seem to be more open.

bcrazy - Some days I can eat a whole dinner (lean cuisine, smart ones, etc...) and some days I barely manage half. I really think that it just depends on WHAT it is as to how much of it I can get down!

BeckieT - bcrazy's response reminded me that I wanted to comment on your crock pot cooking! Lol. I LOVE my crockpot!!! (By the way - I have a whole cookbook for crock pot recipes. also a good site I use is Recipezaar: Where the World's Recipes Are and you can enter crock pot in the search bar and you'll get thousands of recipes!!)

As for my body bugg - So far so good. I got it all loaded in my computer (after I had to download adobe reader and internet explorer!!!!) I entered my most common eaten foods (there are lots of foods listed, but not in the generic wal mart brands I usually buy, so I added them in as to be sure I was calculating everything right!) THEN I went to the gym and did 45 minutes elliptical and 10 minutes bike just to test it out... but now I can't figure out how to get the calories burned from the bugg to the computer!!! It comes with a 'wireless' thingy, and I have it plugged into the computer... and I downloaded the info I needed in order for it to read... but its not working yet. Grr. I'm about to restart my system to see if it will all kick in then.. if not I will go to the body bugg thread and bugg the people there! Haha!

Becki, Thanks alot for answering my questions. Your answers and what your eating will hopefully help me figure it out. I will head your advice good luck to you. Thanks, Again Sheila

OK - The BODY BUGG - I'm in LOVE!

I got it all figured out - it's soooo easy! just push a button and BAM! all your calories burned info is downloaded!!!

OK, I'm about to sleep with my Bugg... gotta figure out how many calories I burn while I dream about a new thinner me!! hahaa!

Night ya'll!

I wanna know if this Body Bugg really helps! Keep us posted daily! lol

I'm so bummed right now. I can't even get yogurt smoothie to go down, it just sits and then trickles and I burp like a logger in rapid succession....20 times and it HURTS. What the hell? For the first 3 days I could eat whatever. I managed a Protein Drink today, and a few sips of Water. I just tried to eat some chips.....i'm such an idiot.

I had to have my best friend, rottie/lab, put down this morning. She bit a small dog last week and caused $1500.00 of a vet bill that I said I'd pay. This morning, she was out of the yard again. I am devastated, sick, but I know I did the right thing. It still feels like a mistake. Sorry, but I felt like sharing.

o2bthin - I'm soooo sorry about your dog!! I still remember how heartbroken I was when I was a kid (about 7 or 8) and we had to have of Doberman "Holly" put down cause she bit a neighbor boy - especially cause the dumb boy DESERVED IT! (Lol) Seriously though, I understand. {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

As for my body bugg... I'm in LOVE. Lol. I slept with it on last night and did you know that I burned over 1100 calories just in my sleep! Hahah! I set the program up for a 1200 calorie intake, and then it sets your deficit based on what your intake is, and on how much weight you want to lose a week. I put that I want to lose 2.5 a week... so we shall see!! I still have to do the work! I think if I stick to the 1200 intake I have to 'spend' just under 2500 cals a day, - BUT if nearly half of those come off in my sleep, I should be good to go! Hahaa!

This has totally motivated me. Of course its still a new 'toy' so during commercials (I'm off work today) i get up and walk around my apartment and jump up and down and stuff then I come back here and upload all my info. Lol! Its totally awesome if you love numbers and gizmos! Hahaa!

The real test will be next Monday - will I have lost 2.5??? - Stay tuned!!!

Becki, Thanks alot for answering my questions. Your answers and what your eating will hopefully help me figure it out. I will head your advice good luck to you. Thanks, Again Sheila
Where do you get the crock pot recipes? I'm always stumped on things to do in those for some reason...

Sheila and BCrazy7: I use a cookbook called Fix It and Forget It Lightly. I love it! I also utilize sites like Suzzzie mentioned, Recipezaar.com and even convert recipes from Paula Deen and Rachel Ray.

Today, I have a Crockpot Alfredo chicken & Veggies on. Given, it's a jarred Alfredo sauce, but they have a light version and I use whole wheat Pasta. It has peas, corn and mushrooms in it as well...so that will help get some veggies in.

Other threads have recipes included...would anyone be interested in posting recipes we like, etc.? Or should we just leave that to that specific thread? I know I don't travel much out of our June 07 thread.

Hey good idea BeckieT! We can post recipes... but lets put them in a seperate June 2007 thread... I'll go make it and link back here...

THEN EVERYONE MUST PIPE IN!! (Lol!)

Suzzie - I'm excited for you and I can't wait to hear the results!! I think I want one too!!!!!!!!! Fitday software is great and all but I don't think it really knows my metabolism rates (which is dead, by the way). Good luck on the 2.5!