Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2007 Bandsters

Yay for flushing the chocolatey minty goodness! I swear I was about to get in my car and drive to your house to get ther rest of the box. Lol. (Of course it would be MUCH closer for me to just go to the store and buy them!) I haven't been able to have a chocolate free day yet! Its one of my biggest weaknesses...

Today after work I went to GNC and bought some unflavored Protein Powder and some liquid vitamins that the lady swears up and down will absorb well. I've been taking 2-3 childrens chewable vitamins a day and I don't feel like they do any good at all. My hair is definatly falling out and looks all dry and icky. Not to sound stuck up or anything, but I've always had beautiful healthy thick thick thick hair!Everyone in my family and all my friends, co-workers - everyone always compliments my hair ... I can't lose it! I'm VAIN! What else do ya'll suggest?!??!

I read all the recent posts, and I feel you are all doing GREAT. I feel me tooting my horn made some of you feel bad. I think we all will have our slow and fast moments through the band losing process. Some with low BMI will lose slower, and some of us with more weight will lose faster but have a longer journey...but we are all in it for the same goal, TO FEEL GREAT!!

Suzzzie I have/had the same kind of hair. Natural curly, thick hair. Everyone always said, is that your real hair? Now I am losing it and it feels different too. The doc keeps saying it will be fine and stop falling out, but I haven't seen that yet!! I have been taking Vitamins too and praying a lot!

mj glad your hubby is doing better, wow what a weight loss, but I know he must be ready for real food!!

stef you are funny! I have crushed food up as well. I never saw them in the store? Good thing too!

Yay for flushing the chocolatey minty goodness! I swear I was about to get in my car and drive to your house to get ther rest of the box. Lol. (Of course it would be MUCH closer for me to just go to the store and buy them!) I haven't been able to have a chocolate free day yet! Its one of my biggest weaknesses...

Today after work I went to GNC and bought some unflavored Protein powder and some liquid vitamins that the lady swears up and down will absorb well. I've been taking 2-3 childrens chewable vitamins a day and I don't feel like they do any good at all. My hair is definatly falling out and looks all dry and icky. Not to sound stuck up or anything, but I've always had beautiful healthy thick thick thick hair!Everyone in my family and all my friends, co-workers - everyone always compliments my hair ... I can't lose it! I'm VAIN! What else do ya'll suggest?!??!

Too funny about coming to kidnap the cookies! LOL

I feel the same way about my hair! I have fantastic luck with Centrum Orange chewables. They are formulated for adults. I take one with Breakfast and one with dinner. I believe they work great!

I've been having some hair loss too, not great amounts, but I notice it in the sink. I had my hair cut about 1" and A-lined and textured, so it took care of that for me, but it does concern me to hear that it come along with the weightloss. Is it a Vitamin deficiency or from not enough Protein? I am worried now about getting enough Protein.< /p>

I binged a lot on the weekend, basically had little to no restriction (HUH???). My biggest weakness was pita chips and cream cheese or hummus...salty stuff not the sweet. Oh, and white zinfandel....a lot of it! LOL So, back to the grindstone for me.

On another note, my 14 yo daughter is blabbing to all her friends about my lap band, and since I live in a small town, it's only a matter of time before everyone knows about it. I could strangle her!

Okay, vent over!

Here are a few articles I found on the subject of hair loss. I'm seeing a little loss, but I don't know if I'm paranoid now, or if it's actually more loss. LOL Anyhow, there are lots of articles...these are just a few that rose to the top in a Google search.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What causes excessive Hair loss?

A number of things can cause excessive hair loss. For example, about 3 or 4 months after an illness or a major surgery, you may suddenly lose a large amount of hair. This hair loss is related to the stress of the illness and is temporary.

Full article: Hair Loss and Its Causes -- familydoctor.org

Deficient diet

Some people who go on low Protein diets, or have severely abnormal eating habits, may develop Protein malnutrition. To help save protein the body shifts growing hair into the resting phase. If this happens massive amounts of hair shedding can occur two to three months later. A sign of this is if the hair can be pulled out by the roots fairly easily. This condition can be reversed and prevented by eating the proper amount of protein. Its very important when dieting to maintain an adequate protein intake.

Major surgery/chronic illness

Anyone who has a major operation - a tremendous shock to the system - may notice increased hair shedding within one to three months afterwards. The condition reverses itself within a few months but people who have a severe chronic illness may shed hair indefinitely. A relatively unknown fact is that hair transplantation surgery can actually cause additional hair loss or "shock fallout". Hairs lost from shock fallout usually don't regrow.

Full article: What causes hair loss in men and women

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I just thought this was a good one, but is off the hair loss topic:

Weight Loss, the ABC's of how to lose weight and keep it off.

Stef--thanks for being our research guru!!! I am experiencing some shedding also. I thought it was Protein so I went and purchased the testtubes of 42g Protein. It's flavored protein (doesn't taste very good--but I endure it.) The guy told me that the body really can't absorb 42g of protein at one time--so I drink half the tube in the morning and the other at night!!

All the talk about exercise over the past few pages got me off my big fat duff and I went to the recreation center and purchased membership. I was on the eliptical for 30 min tonight and did a few weights---YEA ME!!!!

Thanks all for the well wishes for my husband.

Knock on wood - I am not having any hair loss. Unfortunately once again my poor DH is. I think you can see in his pic on the other thread that he has LONG red hair. He has been growing it for years now. We were used to some shedding, but WOW, he could almost make an entire wig in a couple of weeks out of what he is losing. Hopefully he will be able to get some good Protein in soon and stop the fall out!

Java - you go right ahead and toot your horn. You are so encouraging to everyone else, you deserve to.

Rhonda - sorry the kid blabbed, they do that though. I pretty much know everything the father of my oldest one does, because he blabs when he gets home. Hard telling what he says about me when he is over there!

Good Job on getting rid of the problem Stef. I wish I had the will power, but once it is in the house it is gone. We have been good about keeping things out, but I had a party a couple a weekends ago and had left over brownies. I think I had 4 or so and then I begged my husband to take the to work.

Hello everyone! I am back with cell and internet. I have not been off my boat in almost 6 weeks but I am in the dock now with the internet. anyway I still feel like I am eating to much most my meals are 2-2 1/2 cups 3 times a day and I think it might me to much. how much does everyone eat per meal? I have not been on the scale in 6 weeks so I don't know if I a still losing or not.

stef I was reading and i saw you DH works in the oil patch. Is he on the rigs or on a boat? I also work in the oil patch I am on a platform supply boat. I was working on the west coast for the last 6 years and I just got to the gulf of mexico today. I was working 28/28 but I am now working 56/28 anyway I was just wondering.

Good to hear from you CD. Gulf of Mexico huh? Sounds great. I think 2.5 cups per meal is too much. If you're losing it's fine but it you're not, get a fill.

Stef- I'm proud of you for not eating the full 12 and for destroying them. The binge monster is always going to rear its ugly and desperate head from time to time. Even normal sized people without eating disorders eat 6 biscuits.

I have to report that my hair seems to be growing back. I lost a lot over the past few years due to a thyroid condition. I'm used to being bald on top along the part. Luckily I'm tall so not a lot of people see it but it used to make me cry when I got an aerial view on security cameras etc. However, I definitely notice whips and curls growing back. It looks a bit funny with all the different lengths.

stef you are the research QUEEN!! Thanks for doing that. I had looked up stuff too and talked with my NP. It is important to take our vitimans as well! Insub, I have thyroid issues too, never lost hair due to it, but had my blood drawn last week. I need to call the doc to get my results. Maybe I need an adjustment!

captain dan!!! Welcome back. It sounds like a fill may be in store, however you are a large guy. Maybe you will always be able to eat 1 - 1 1/2 cups? a 1/2 cup for a guy to me sounds crazy. Regardless of the band. But we are all learning!

Has anyone been sick, not pbing, but sick and vomited? Real vomit? I have never pbing and I hear that it is different. I am just wondering if my pouch and band is ok and does not losen or change due to that pressure on the stomach? I am sure that the experts take into account illnesses in a band lifetime.

Hello everyone! I am back with cell and internet. I have not been off my boat in almost 6 weeks but I am in the dock now with the internet. anyway I still feel like I am eating to much most my meals are 2-2 1/2 cups 3 times a day and I think it might me to much. how much does everyone eat per meal? I have not been on the scale in 6 weeks so I don't know if I a still losing or not.

stef I was reading and i saw you DH works in the oil patch. Is he on the rigs or on a boat? I also work in the oil patch I am on a platform supply boat. I was working on the west coast for the last 6 years and I just got to the gulf of Mexico today. I was working 28/28 but I am now working 56/28 anyway I was just wondering.

Welcome back, Captain! We missed you!

EW! Eight weeks on as a permanent rotation? I'd hate that! When hubby was with Oceaneering, he worked like that...between eight and twelve weeks out with never more than two weeks off. It was like he was in the Navy again! I was wondering if you were in the offshore biz! Hubby is definitely a boat man. He works as an ROV supervisor for Veolia six weeks on, three weeks off. Is your boat going to supply the Gulf now? I guess I assumed (incorrectly) that all boats had satellites. That would suck not having internet! I'd go nuts if I couldn't talk to hubby every day.

INSUB - Thank you for the encouragement. I was really beating myself up about it, but I'm better now. Someone mentioned OCD. I'm not, but have a tendency towards being too hard on myself, I think. (I know that is no surprise to anyone here! LOL) I am extremely driven! Today is a new day and I am back on track...thanks to folks like yourself being so kind and supportive on here.

JA9VA - You are welcome! I started getting a little concerned about the hair thing and thought I would share what I found. The most concerning one for me was that it is common to lose hair three to four months after a surgery! We are definitely in that time frame! About being sick, I have not. But I do know that my surgical paperwork says that if I start vomiting, that I am supposed to call the office immediately to have all fill removed. This helps prevent the band from slipping from the violent contractions. I hope you aren't sick?

INSUB - Thank you for the encouragement. I was really beating myself up about it, but I'm better now. Someone mentioned OCD.

Oh my gosh Stef, please don't think my OCD comment was directed towards you. I mean ME!!! It runs in my family! lol Part of making this work for me is that I make it workable. I have to fit it in with all the millions of juggling balls I'm trying to keep in the air. One of my downfalls is that I don't make time for taking care of myself because I'm too busy and focused on everyone else's lives....which they would prefer I stay out of if you kwim (teenagers!).

I think you deserve a hug today...and I know I could use one too! (((((((((Stef)))))))) If anyone deserves a break on herself, it's you!