Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2007 Bandsters

Got my first fill on Saturday. She limited it to 2 cc. I feel nothing much, which may be okay if I start to drop. If not I will prob go back within 10 days for another 2 cc. Finding the port was difficult.

well I think I fast weight loss has came to a crashing hult. I went to see my doc for my first follow up on July 10th and I was 225 however when get on the scale at my gym I am still 225. I have been getting all my Protein and keeping my meal size to only 1-2 cups 3 times a day with a little bit of snacking (olives, peppers, tomatos, Almonds all stuff thats not bad for you) I have been exercising everyday for no less than 1 hour no more than 2 1/2 hours. I think the next 40 lbs are going to be very hard for me. It might be the scale at the gym is off but I don't think so. I go in for my first fill on Aug 7th and I see what his scale reads.

I was wondering if anyone has gotten drunk yet with their band. If anyone has, how was it? My doc told me not for 4 weeks and not to drink any beer or any Crab drink. I would like to compare what others have been told.

Anyway sounds like everyone is doing really well and enjoying their fills, I hope mine does the trick because I am still hungry after meals. well keep up with the hard work everyone.

dan I asked about drinking alcohol during my pre opt visits and the doctor said it was fine, just wasted calories. I feel it is on my "don't" diet list for that reason.

My son was married on July 7 and yes, I drank to much. Not intentionally. I was very busy keeping up with all the guests, did not eat and bamb! Since then, I keep it to 2 drinks. In my orientation they said that we would be "cheap" dates!

Beer can be hard for people. Ask your doc. I did have 2 blue moons to try it, everyone was raving about it, and when I went to sleep I woke up feeling it bubbling up, it was a weird sensation! I am not a big beer drinker, so that will be it for me!

Hope this helps.

Keep up the good exercise! Your weight loss will pick up again.

Welcome back Dawn!

Capt. - are the almonds going down okay? My doc said no nuts, but I can't do that and no popcorn too! I'm thinking if we chew enough it'll be okay? I'll miss beer too. My nutritionist said that carbonated beverages would be okay after the first year (in moderation) so that everything has time to scar into place.

My doc said each individual is different as far as tolerance, but that beer was fine as far as the band goes. I love beer, and had really liked Michelob Ultra even before the band, so I will drink that and my favorite Crown and Coke! I haven't had beer yet, but I will. I know I will be imbibing on my vacation in Vegas come November, for sure! Banane14.gif

I'm down to 215.6! HOORAY! My weight loss had really slowed, so asked my NUT about it. Since I have almost religiously been so strict on my calories, she said to up my calories for a few days and see if it didn't "kick-start" my metabolism, and IT WORKED! I was at 600-800 per day and took it to 800-1000. I did that two days ago and today the scale showed a significant drop. I can't believe that worked! rockon.gif

I can eat nuts. Just chew them up well. I have tried pistachios, macadamias, almonds and pumpkin seeds. Ate some walnuts a little too quickly and they didn't go down too well. Must have been the husks (skins?). I often grind sunflower/linseed/almond on my porridge. I'm a vegan so nuts, though high in fat, are essential nutrients for me. Just make sure you eat raw nuts as they are MUCH healthier than roasted or dry-roasted. A handful is a good portion but it depends how big your hands are and how high you pile 'em, the calories can mount up very quickly!

After being in a good mood for weeks post-banding, I'm a suddenly (seriously) down in the dumps. I'm even applying for new jobs because I can't handle work at the moment. Anyone else experiencing extreme emotions/moods?

Back from my 2nd fill - will post on 2nd fill thread, but wanted to let you know what they said about the pain when I bend over. The nurse said that is very common and usually goes away in 2-3 months. It takes time for the port to scar in place. So no worries for now, will just see if it goes away.

I was down 7lbs since my last fill 2 weeks ago, so they were very happy with that. The nurse said that was really good for a month, so 2 weeks was great. I didn't think that sounded so good, but I guess I just want this to happen faster. Glad to be losing.

FLIPPED PORT!!!! FLIPPED PORT!!! FLIPPED PORT!!!!

I went in today for a fill and guess what!?!?!?!?!!? MY PORT WAS FLIPPED!! I don't know what I did to cause---

Does anyone know how a port flips?

I'm waiting for my doc to call me tomorrow and see when he can schedule a revision. Keep me in your prayers.

After being in a good mood for weeks post-banding, I'm a suddenly (seriously) down in the dumps. I'm even applying for new jobs because I can't handle work at the moment. Anyone else experiencing extreme emotions/moods?

YES! And extremely strange for me. I can count the number of times I've been depressed on one hand...I just don't "sweat" much in life. It hit me like a ton of bricks last week. For no reason. It is letting up now, thank goodness. I have zero tools for dealing with that.

I went in today for a fill and guess what!?!?!?!?!!? MY PORT WAS FLIPPED!! I don't know what I did to cause---

I'm waiting for my doc to call me tomorrow and see when he can schedule a revision. Keep me in your prayers.

OMG! I'm sorry to hear about your port! If you find out what causes it, please let us know. This would horrify me! Keep us posted on what has to be done and timeframes and such. You are in my prayers.

Bigbaby - I am so sorry to hear about your port flipping, Did the doctor say if this happens often? Hang in there, I'll be thinking of you and you will be back on track soon!!!

Insubordination- I know exactly how you feel, the past few days I have been down too. Can't really explain it. Might be because I lost 20 lbs from pre-op to two weeks post op and then only 1 or 2 lbs in the next 3 or 4 weeks and then knowing even after the 1st fill I still may be not be restricted. I know I just have to be patient and it will happen. Plus after my first fill I had to do liquids for 3 days-that certainly did not help my mood:rolleyes:

We'll get through this time and we will feel better. We can do this:) :)

YIKES!!!!!!!! That is one of my BIG fears! Especially since I'm a floor nurse and I'm always lifting/tugging/pulling/pushing on patients all day.

Let us know what they plan on doing... and how the revision goes. I wonder, do they just have to re-open the port site incision?? or do they make a new incision near it?

BigBaby - How awful about your port! Do let us know what they are going to do.

Danbo - My doc told me I could drink wine after 4 weeks. He told me about a new study that showed that bandsters that drank 7-10 glasses of red wine per week lost more weight faster. So I'm giving it a try when I'm not on the road.

I haven't had those "blues" yet but I imagine it is fairly common. We are all so excited at first and the new band demands a lot of our time and thoughts. It takes a lot of energy to sustain that kind of positive outlook all the time. Maybe our mind finally says to "take a break"! Anyone a therapist out there who can weigh in??

I know this might sound a little out there, but do you reckon that the crazy emotions might be from hormones? When I went for my fill, my cycle had been messed up from losing weight and I talked about it with the doctor and he said that the fat stores estrogen and when you lose it, the fat has to release the hormones before it gets burned up. I know hormones make me crazy!

BigBaby - How awful about your port! Do let us know what they are going to do.

Danbo - My doc told me I could drink wine after 4 weeks. He told me about a new study that showed that bandsters that drank 7-10 glasses of red wine per week lost more weight faster. So I'm giving it a try when I'm not on the road.

I haven't had those "blues" yet but I imagine it is fairly common. We are all so excited at first and the new band demands a lot of our time and thoughts. It takes a lot of energy to sustain that kind of positive outlook all the time. Maybe our mind finally says to "take a break"! Anyone a therapist out there who can weigh in??

Do you suppose it still works if you drink those 7-10 glasses AT ONCE!!?? LOL