Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2007 Bandsters

THanks HottyToddy! I was wondering! I must've missed where she said she was leaving. :)

Went out for dinner at one of my fave BBQ places (I live in Kansas City - BBQ is a BIG deal here!) and I ordered chicken breast with side salad instead of fries. (used to get this big old pulled pork sandwich on a huge hogie bun.) It was sooo good and I was stuffed 1/2 way through. I'm totally loving this band thing, and the restriction that I have is good - can't wait for my next fill in 3 more weeks!!!

Hope you all have a great weekend!

Heather thanks for the info on Toni, we also haven't heard from Tina in a while either and I thought they may be on vacation!

missy I agree about the word"diet" we need to try and not go there but it is a hard habit to break. I don't count calories either, try to count my Protein but eat three meals a day, and sometimes a healthy snack.

Suzzzie I never heard of Sweet tomatoes, maybe that is a good thing. Barbeque is big in Virginia too. I had that at my son's wedding reception( one of the foods) the caterer was" Chef Hog BBQ". Everyone loved it. He made smoked honey turkey breast too.

I went out last night shopping with a friend. we went to a mexican restaurant. I had a tiny bit of chips/salsa and I ordered something I never did before, just chicken in small peices with some sauce and cheese, and side of rice and Beans. I ate a 1/3 of the meat and beans and brought the rest home for my dh. I did have a margarita, but all in all I think I did ok. Remember, no fill yet!!!

I am off to the gym this am, Step Class. I hope I make it through. Sat. morning class is very popular and i am sure to see more people I know, yuk. so far all the instructors have said they are glad I am back and the people too. I am trying to take it positively and not be embarrassed.

Welcome vx

later!

What part of VA ja9va? I grew up in VA and my Mom and bro are still there.

Well, I have returned from my weeks vacation... AND I LOST WEIGHT!! OK, so I cheated a little... I get my FIRST fill on Monday, and I was paranoid that I would gain on vacay... SOOOOO, I had about 1 week left of a phentermine prescription, and I seized the day! I figured I needed to take it while I could still pass pills easily.

I ate like a bird..lol. My tiny size 6-8 sister said I was making her feel like a hog!

Congratulations Heather. It's not easy restricting portions with no fill, especially on holidays.

Suzzie, you did so well to choose a healthy option and be satisfied with that.

Janine, I'm proud of you for going to step class even though you were embarrassed to do so.

I tell you, all of you are doing great (the ones I didn't mention too).

Janine - good choice for mexican! We finally went out the other night to a mexican restaurant - first time since banding. I had 4 chips with cheese dip, grilled chicken breast with cheese and a creamy red sauce and black Beans. I ate less than half and took the rest for lunch the next day. I think I looked at the menu a hundred times before I decided that was the best thing, thankfully it was very delicious. I do have to make the choice to stop most of the time still, I am hoping my 2nd fill on Monday will help.

Is anyone have issues with their port when they bend over? If I bend over repeatedly or draw my legs up in bed at night, I get a burning pain where my port is. I thought it was my incision until I had my fill and realized it was my port. I am going to discuss with the surgeon on Monday, but just wondered if anyone else had that issue.

Janine - good choice for mexican! We finally went out the other night to a mexican restaurant - first time since banding. I had 4 chips with cheese dip, grilled chicken breast with cheese and a creamy red sauce and black Beans. I ate less than half and took the rest for lunch the next day. I think I looked at the menu a hundred times before I decided that was the best thing, thankfully it was very delicious. I do have to make the choice to stop most of the time still, I am hoping my 2nd fill on Monday will help.

Is anyone have issues with their port when they bend over? If I bend over repeatedly or draw my legs up in bed at night, I get a burning pain where my port is. I thought it was my incision until I had my fill and realized it was my port. I am going to discuss with the surgeon on Monday, but just wondered if anyone else had that issue.

mjsafari,

That's funny you brought that up. It's been 4 weeks since I got the band and everytime I bend over on my left side, it hurts. I can touch my toes on my right foot but can't on my left foot.

I'm not in major pain but I am very uncomfortable and I plan to discuss it with my doctor at my next appt in August.

Other than that, I am feeling pretty good. I haven't got a fill yet.

Let me know what your doctor says on Monday!

Stella

I'll get a buring pain just below where my port is. Its odd!! (Port is about 2-3 minches below incision, the pain will be about 5 inches below incision)

lo2us I live in Stafford, VA., it is near Quantico Marine Base, about 45 miles south of Washington DC.

Heather Great on your vacation. I will be having my first fill the day after you. I feel like we are the last to go! Good Luck!

mj I do have a weird pain in my stomach area once in a while, actually I thought it was weird, but not near my port. And it does not hurt all the time? I guess I should pin point it for when I go to the doctors on Tuesday.

No weight loss this week, discouraging! My TOM is late, I am not sure that has anything to do with it. I did take some benefiber, yuk. I am sorry those chewables are not good.

exercise question? Has anyone been told that they can do any type of exercise to include ab work? I am not sure I should yet and have been opting out of that part of the class.

Hi all,

thought I'd "check in". I read the posts a couple of times a day but don't usually write.

I'm doing pretty well. I'll finally get me first fill this coming Thursday (unless they cancel me again - YIKES!!). I can't wait. I'll be almost 8 weeks out of surgery by then. I feel like I really need this fill.

I just joined the August exercise challenge. Last week I started exercising - I did three days. That's huge for me. I haven't exercised in years. Not really. A day here and there but nothing with any consistency. I feel pretty good about it. I have to do something since my weightloss has stalled. I've been at the 31 - 32 pounds lost mark for a couple of weeks now. VERY frustrating.

Take care everyone and continued prayers for all my fellow Junies.

Dawn

thanks for the answers on the port pain. Mine does not hurt all the time, just when I bend to the right - like Stella said, I can touch my left toes, but not my right without pain. I will let you know what my doc says Monday. I couldn't do any abdominal exercises even if wanted to because of this pain, but I haven't asked about any restrictions. I am having a hard time getting motivated to exercise! I am still losing well, but I know I need to get moving.

My husband is doing amazing! Down 71lbs in 2 1/2 months without a fill - I told him people will ask why he needed the band! He knew he could lose, but couldn't keep it off, so it is a good choice for him. He only has 77 more lbs to goal. He does have all the issues that can come with band though - not being able to eat in the morning, sliming and PBs. He has an upper GI scheduled next month (as a follow-up on Barrett's esophagus), so we will know if his band is ok.

Happy Losing, everyone!

I got my first fill Friday and am on liquids for three days, then tommorrow I get to start blended for 3 days, I am hoping to feel restriction tommorrow when I eat, I can't really tell right now. Should I be able to with liquids? I am so ready to start losing more weight i have pretty much been at the same weight for the last 3 or 4 weeks.

Did anyone else have to be on liquids for 3 days after their fill? Just curious.

Hope everyone is doing great:)

My husband is doing amazing! Down 71lbs in 2 1/2 months without a fill - He does have all the issues that can come with band though - not being able to eat in the morning, sliming and PBs.

71lbs in 2 1/2 months??????????/ WOW!!! GOOD JOB--WHAT IS HE EATING? WHAT TYPE OF EXERCISE DOES HE DO???? WHAT ARE HIS DOCTORS SAYING??? SORRY FOR THE ALL CAPS--HOWEVER I'M SO AMAZED!!

]

I got my first fill Friday and am on liquids for three days, then tommorrow I get to start blended for 3 days, I am hoping to feel restriction tommorrow when I eat, I can't really tell right now. Should I be able to with liquids? I am so ready to start losing more weight i have pretty much been at the same weight for the last 3 or 4 weeks.

Did anyone else have to be on liquids for 3 days after their fill? Just curious.

My doctor requires soft foods 24 hours after a fill. I had my first fill 2 weeks ago and will have another tomorrow. My doctor won't do fills on Fridays. He says that if you get too much or have complications, it will be the longest weekend of your life---because they're not in the office on the weekend.

LauraG -

I think the fills are like everything else - the docs are all a little bit different in their requirements. I had my first fill 10 days ago - I was on Clear Liquids for a day, full liquids for a day, mushies for a day, then back on solid food. I didn't feel any diffence until I was back on solids. My restriction is good - can eat about 3/4 cup of food then feel food for 4 hours or so. It is so easy and I love it! I hope it lasts for a while but from reading the posts, I know it won't. I didn't understand why until I read (on this board) that when we lose weight, the fat in our stomach lessens so the band loosens and we need more fill to get the restriction back. I have been fortunate as I haven't had anything get "stuck", no PBins or sliming! I hope that part lasts.