Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2007 Bandsters

You can't, it's darned near impossible.

But I'll step away now, because I was talking with my nutririonist for my cardiac rehab today and we were discussing the same thing and how the bandster diet they teach us makes no sense. Research shows that several small meals is MUCH better for metabolism, yet they say to eat three a day, no Snacks. Some get told 1/2 cup a meal, there's a woman here who keeps saying 1/4 cup (no way) a meal, and my nut says 2-3 oz Protein and then 1 cup of side dishes per meal. I wish they could agree out there. I hear no more than 800 calories a day, then I hear some say 1500 calories, others say 600 calories, I say if you are losing, then yea. Eat what you need to, just track it all.

IBUPROFEN - When I went back to see the NP for my post op she told me I could take the small OTC tablets of ibuprofen, just not the big pills. I've had a bad back for about 12 years now and when the pain really flares up ibuprofen is the only thing that helps at all...at about an 800mg dose, sometimes more.

NUTRITION - My NP doesn't care if I snack, or have 4-5 small meals a day as long as I"m making good choices and getting my Protein in. Again, I think that is just one of those things that everyones doc is going to vary on.

Hey all, I was banded June 25th, and I can't get an appetite. I was told to eat at least 74 grams of Protein a day and to drink 100 ozs. of Water a day. And my book specifically says don't eat if you are not hungry. I get to the point of about to pass out because I'm not hungry but my body needs fuel. This just seems like such hard work for something the size of a 1/2 dollar? I do drink New Whey Liquid Protein in water. It comes in a 25g or 42g, I drink on the 42 gram througout the day. Comes in fruit punch, grape and orange. I still drink the Protein Shakes as well.

Yes I drink the New Whey Protein liquids they are REALLY good!! I use the fruit punch 42g diluted 1/2 with Water and just drink it with my snack or sometimes instead of a snack! My Dr (I haven't seen a NUT yet) has told me to eat the 5 small meals a day and I am to get in 130g of protein per day!! Usually what I do each day is : shake for b-fast 4oz cottage cheese with crackers for snack a tuna to go lunch pack for lunch Then chicken or fish for dinner with some kind of veg's. I have a hard time fitting the 5th meal/snack in but it is usually cottage cheese too! I have found the 0% plus Purity small curd is WONDERFUL!! I will use either multi grain/whole wheat crackers or wheat thins crackers. I LOVE the sun dried Tomato and basil flavor MMMMM they are my NEW addiction! ALSO for chocolate/candy freeks like me the Russel Stovers sugar free candies are WOW! ;-) Hope you all have a good day/evening! "IF" my chiropractor's scales are the same as the centers then I have lost another 8lbs!! But will find out tomorrow at support group!! HMMMM

Suzzzie, do you cut the small tablets up or can you swallow them? I've got so much restriction I think I would need to cut them.

lo2us - I could take them whole before my fill... not sure now as I haven't tried. Hmmm. Lol. I think if I try one now and it won't go through that I may just buy liquid motrin, cause seriously, tylenol will not help my backaches.

Hi my Junies, in Oz ( that's the country not the prison)I was told not to count anything (protein, cals , carbs ) and to eat 3 healthy meals a day when hungry and stop when full. I asked him about the Protein stuff and he said Just don't drink it(ie protein shakes) as we want you to eat real food(more realistic long term and more filling)some with each meal is fine and stop thinking about food!! He also said soda is fine just don't guzzle it. I drank some yesterday no worries. So interesting how different all your rules are. I also got a book called "The Lapband Solution" written by one of the first LB docs(early 90's) and the thing about flying is that any air bubbles in the band will expand at altitude and the band may be very tight during the flight but will go back to normal when you land. Has that been anyone's experience? I am flying soon and want to know what to expect. Marga

Woo hoo. My first PB. Ugh!!!!!!!!!!!

I was sooooo grateful when it finally came up. I still feel like something is a little bit stuck. Dang. I was only 3 bites into dinner. I'm not even going to try anything else tonight! I'm going to bed!

I went to Cato today to just "try on" some stuff to see if i'd dropped a sz yet and while I can get some of the 22/24 on it looks REALLY bad but the 26/28 fit great w/ a lil room!! YEAHHHHHHH BTW I was a sz 30/32 and a 34 in somethings or a 5X!! I'm soooo glad for some of my "fat" clothes to NOT fit me!! I need ENERGY so I can get up off my "lard bucket" and work out!

Hey all, I found this fabulous website yesterday - Recipezaar: Where the World's recipes Are - It is too cool. You can search for anything. I put in 'low fat, high protein' in the search bar and got thousands of good, easy recipes. I'm not big on cooking, so I made my search even more focused by saying that I wanted low fat, high Protein, crock pot recipes, still got over 3,000! It give the nutritional info for each recipe too.

Suzzie--thanks for the recipe site---I'm not much of a cook either, but maybe I'll try. I CAN cook, but don't particularly enjoy it. I can eat leftovers forever...so I figure if I make a recipe from this site, and my band is really working--I can cut the grocery bill by eating the same thing for a couple of days:):cry:hungry:...Let me know what you have tried and how it turns out.

NINA----TONI-----WHERE ARE YOU???????? IF YOU'RE READING...DROP US A LINE.....I MISS ALL OF YOUR ENCOURAGEMENT!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by captain danbo viewpost.gif

I have been told to only eat three small meals a day. I have also been told to eat 1/2-1 cup each meal. I try to eat a serving of Protein (meat) serving of fruit and a serving of veggie for each meal. Now the problem is when I take 3oz of fish 6-7 grape tomatos and 1/2 a small apple it is more like 2 1/2-3 cups of food each meal. I do this three times a day (I change ingredients each meal) my cal intake is 500-600 each day. That cal count includes my Protein Drink my Fiber supp and all the other ingredients I use for cooking. I know that sounds low but it looks like to much food to me. I would like to know what people are eating in order to get only 1 cup per meal 3 time a day and still meet the protein requirements.

Ja9va&Insup: I also had a had a hard time making a movement I went 9 days with never needing to go #2. It kind of had me freaked out a bit so I starting taking a Fiber supplement, now every other day I am good to go. I take Fiber Choice chewables and I think they taste just like candy. I buy the sugar free orange, eat three of them a day (6 grams total)and it seem to work just fine.

Sounds like you and I are working the same plan. For the last 48 days, my average daily calories is 548, but that is including the first week after surgery, so the number is a little skewed. More accurate these days is about 600, though today I couldn't even get in 400...things are getting stuck long enough that I gave up trying to finish at lunch and at dinner. It does seem like a lot of food! I can't imagine how low the calories would be if I ate only a cup of food! For dinner, I usually broil some type of fish (about 3 oz.) and add a cup of brocolli or brussell sprouts and that's it. I get fruits in at lunch time since they are higher in calories usually, and pair the fruit with tuna or chicken salad. I have a protein drink for Breakfast with some benefiber mixed in. I do snack...sugar free Jello, sometimes a granola bar but again watching the sugar, no sugar added pudding on occasion, sugar free popsicles, sometimes a graham cracker. I don't think twice about the jello or popsicles...at 5 and 15 calories each, I won't deprive myself if I wanted FOUR at a time! LOL Never happened, but I wouldn't think twice about it if I wanted to. (Okay, now I want a popsicle!)

I got the Benefiber and also got a bottle of the Fiber Choice chewables in orange. Those chewables do taste pretty darn good. I was utterly SHOCKED at the size of them when I first opened the bottle, though! Thank goodness they taste good! And they work, too! I do two teaspoons of Benefiber in my morning Protein Shake and two Fiber Choice chewables in the evening now. This has straightened me out...my Dad always said I took after him, being FOS...this surgery made it for real until I got those fiber supplements! LOL

I went to Cato today to just "try on" some stuff to see if i'd dropped a sz yet and while I can get some of the 22/24 on it looks REALLY bad but the 26/28 fit great w/ a lil room!! YEAHHHHHHH BTW I was a sz 30/32 and a 34 in somethings or a 5X!! I'm soooo glad for some of my "fat" clothes to NOT fit me!! I need ENERGY so I can get up off my "lard bucket" and work out!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

I'm sure that felt WONDERFUL! Keep up the good work!

For you folks out there who have had a second fill, how's it going?

I have the small AP band, first fill 3cc and second fill 1cc.

The second fill I had first thing Monday morning, and my NUT says if the meat doesn't go down, it's too tight and to come back.

Well, the problem is that it is so borderline! I'm not going back, for sure...but things get stuck regularly and it's been almost three days. Anyone else experiencing this? Is this what restriction is? I keep listening to my body, trying to figure it out, but I think I need a translator! :car: