Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2007 Bandsters

I have just a litle bruising and gas for only about a day maybe. But my tummy is sure grumbling alot and the roof of my mouth hurts like the dickens when I eat a frozen popsicle or anything frozen. Has that happened to anyone else?

I see some of you talking about the different kinds of bands, how did you know which kind you wanted? What is the difference?

I just found out yesterday that I was banded with the AP band, and I didn't even know it! I was his first patient with this band, and it hadn't even been released in the US widely yet. This whole time I was thinking I got the other, older tried-n-true band. I wish I knew the manufacturer or something so I could read about it. I tried to google it but got no great results. I think someone wrote about it a zillion pages ago, but I can't even find it with a search!

Oh well!

Toni

Hi, all. Just a quick checkin...I'm sore but mostly just around where I think my port is. I went home at 8:00 last night. Got to meet Suzzzie...don't worry Suz, you were wonderful and I was extremely groggy myself. Your friend was nice as well.

Doing good here at mom's...the kids are understanding to not have mommy pick them up...and I'm not even hungry. Light gas pains. One accident at home that hit my port incision. Uggghhhh. Going to take a shower later...probably won't be on rest of night.

Take care everyone!!! And thanks for the support...it's helped a bunch!!!

Toni---Thanks for always being so transparent in your posts about your eating, feelings etc. It sure is an inspiration to me. I look forward to always seeing what you're writing. You're such a great ENCOURAGER!!!

Also--thanks for responding to the Jello question. I wasn't sure if we can actually "eat" for the first 2 weeks or just slurp.

Kland--I'm glad to see you up and posting so soon. I will be banded by Dr. Benevides this Monday.

Toni.

I'm really anxious about how I"ll do when there are fewer restrictions. Dietician said that we have to do the blended/pureed diet for at least 2 weeks and I just started Thursday. There has been nothing yet that I find appealing: pureed vegetables, pureed Beans, oatmeal.....

During the clear and full liquid phases I could barely consume 300 calories a day. I find it all a chore--sipping 4 oz. over 30 minutes, half an hour between eating and drinking, and portions of only 1/4 cup at a time (I called the dietician who told me that these rules still apply).

Despite the low-calorie intake it took me 9 days to lose the 10 pound post-surgical gain and I'm only down 5 pounds from that now. I guess I'm concerned that on my first post-op visit I won't show enough of a weight loss. For me, at this point, eating is more of a nuisance than a pleasure.

I do suspect that the dietician is trying to get us accustomed to the restrictions we will face after our first fill and beyond that, there is no need to be so strict.

If there is no ticker on this post, I officially surrender further attempts to install one.

To all you MUSHIE STAGERS!!! I think I had my first blockage or stuck food! I know now what the feels like! I was eating dinner, I tiny piece of fish (1-2 oz) and a 1/4 cup of brown rice. I think I ate it to fast, but I was really trying not to and WHAM! I got up and walked around and around then bent over on my deck and some saliva out and thought I would barf, but didn't. the food passed!

I have some questions for those at the same stage as me. I am not sure how to get in all the food they are recommending if I am only to eat 3 meals a day. Or am I not to stick to the 3 meals during this stage? I am to have more than one serving of Protein, fruit, vegies, grains, fat and milk in one day. However if you are only eating 1/2 cup at a sitting, how do you do that? It is frustrating figuring it out, but at least I know now to SLOW DOWN OR DON'T EAT RICE!!!

i am still on full fluids, you ar eating food already? i was banded 6/4

Toni.

I'm really anxious about how I"ll do when there are fewer restrictions. Dietician said that we have to do the blended/pureed diet for at least 2 weeks and I just started Thursday. There has been nothing yet that I find appealing: pureed vegetables, pureed Beans, oatmeal.....

During the clear and full liquid phases I could barely consume 300 calories a day. I find it all a chore--sipping 4 oz. over 30 minutes, half an hour between eating and drinking, and portions of only 1/4 cup at a time (I called the dietician who told me that these rules still apply).

Despite the low-calorie intake it took me 9 days to lose the 10 pound post-surgical gain and I'm only down 5 pounds from that now. I guess I'm concerned that on my first post-op visit I won't show enough of a weight loss. For me, at this point, eating is more of a nuisance than a pleasure.

I do suspect that the dietician is trying to get us accustomed to the restrictions we will face after our first fill and beyond that, there is no need to be so strict.

If there is no ticker on this post, I officially surrender further attempts to install one.

Serena....you are being a GOOD GIRL ;) and doing the diet perfectly and I highly encourage you to keep up the great work! :clap2::):clap2: I am all about texture, and I think that's why I skipped the pureed part past the baby food I had after about day 5.

Wish I could drop by your pad and see if I could help you with your ticker....don't give up! Try a different website like this one:

http://www.my-calorie-counter.com/Weight-Loss-Ticker.asp

Band - I heard about the new band on this website, from FaithMD. I couldn't find anything on the web about it, so I asked our surgeon when my husband had surgery. He said he had some that day, one for my husband, and explained the differences. I of course then wanted the new toy! I don't think there is anything wrong with the old ones, they seem to work well - right? I just like new toys - plus since my husband was getting one, I wanted one! :-) He said the 2 differences are - the balloon goes all the way around - it covers the buckle versus 3/4 on the old one and it is easier to buckle/unbuckle. Theory is that restriction will be better with the new band since it goes all the way around.

I am feeling okay today, just tired. I have very little pain and was able to sleep in bed last night without any problems. I haven't had to take any of the pain medication. I am a little bruised around the incisions, but certainly not purple! I would definitely ask the doctor about that. I am not having any issues with gas pain - but I am certainly passing a lot of gas! I wonder if there is a difference in how you are positioned in surgery?? Neither my husband or I had any issues with surgical gas pain. To hot and muggy to walk outside today, so we went to the mall. Very tiring, but good to walk around.

Nina and Toni - thanks for the well wishes. I am sorry if I missed anyone else's comments about me. It is hard to keep up! Hope everyone is doing well! Suzzie and BeckieT - glad your back and surgery went well! GO KC Bandsters!

Thanks everyone! It's good to hear the different experiences we are having. I feel so prepared with the band because of reading this forum.

Bigbaby....you'll do great with Dr. B. I was only on the table for 25 minutes....that's how long it takes him to do the procedure. The nursing staff is fantastic and they take excellent care of their patients.

I'm on liquids for 2 weeks, but can also have yogurt, pudding, Jello and applesauce. I did have some jello last night (surgery day) and it really tasted good. I ate it cold right out of the fridge...the pudding too.

My tummy is very tight feeling and I'm in some pain when I get to moving around. As I'm sitting here typing, I can hear my stomach grumbling, but I'm not hungry at all.

Keep up the good work everyone!

Toni.

Serena....you are being a GOOD GIRL ;) and doing the diet perfectly and I highly encourage you to keep up the great work! :clap2::):clap2: I am all about texture, and I think that's why I skipped the pureed part past the baby food I had after about day 5.

Wish I could drop by your pad and see if I could help you with your ticker....don't give up! Try a different website like this one:

http://www.my-calorie-counter.com/Weight-Loss-Ticker.asp

Toni---Thanks for always being so transparent in your posts about your eating, feelings etc. It sure is an inspiration to me. I look forward to always seeing what you're writing. You're such a great ENCOURAGER!!!

Also--thanks for responding to the Jello question. I wasn't sure if we can actually "eat" for the first 2 weeks or just slurp.

Kland--I'm glad to see you up and posting so soon. I will be banded by Dr. Benevides this Monday.

how can you all be eating already and i am still on full fluids. banded 6/4

how can you all be eating already and i am still on full fluids. banded 6/4

Hi Pacu,

My nutritionist took me off fluids on Day 6---she said I was past due. I started eating yogurt, babyfood, etc... from that day and it's progressed since. :rolleyes

Some doctors like their pts. to be on liquids for two weeks. Maybe that's your diet? It's a GREAT conservative, safe approach and ensures GREAT healing.

Cheers,

Toni

Welcome to bandland Bandsters!

I'm not eating either and was banded 6/6. I have two weeks Fluid, two weeks puree. Can't start the puree until Tuesday. I'm just going to 'suck it up' (literally!).

I finally managed a ticker, only to find out that I had made an error in my current weight. I tried to edit the ticker, but it apparently made a new one.

Does anyone have a clue about how to delete the incorrect one as well as those other extra lines? I would be embarrassed to admit how many tries it took me to get this far.:embarassed:

Welcome to bandland Bandsters!

I'm not eating either and was banded 6/6. I have two weeks Fluid, two weeks puree. Can't start the puree until Tuesday. I'm just going to 'suck it up' (literally!).

:clap2::clap2::clap2:Insub....you are doing SUPER!

I'll be thinking of you on Tuesday.:hungry: Bet it can't get here fast enough!

Cheers!

Toni