Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2007 Bandsters

Anybody cheat at all on the pre-op diet? I am on day 3 and my son was eating cheese/peanut butter crackers right next to me and the crunch sound got to me. I had a small cup of plain white tuna and like 4 or 5 small/broken chips. I'm supposed to be on just liquids, so that was kind of bad.......

Rita--I'm so sorry to hear about your ordeal. Know that God has a plan and a purpose for everything.....

I just came back from my pre-op visit.--I'll be banded Monday @ 7:30a.m. My surgeon, Dr. Benevides, told me that he is one of the few in the North Texas area that has the AP band. He's going to use it on me and if he has a low profile port, I'll get it also.

He no longer puts the port on the left side. It's more centrally located. Almost above the belly button. He stated that sometimes the port can rise when a substantial amount of weight has been lost, so this is a better position.

Also, he told me that new research shows that it's not necessary to refrain from drinking 30 minutes before and 30 minutes after. You can take small sips with your meal. However, he advises his patients to train themselves not to drink with meals--because your nutrients/calories will come from food and not beverages.< /p>

I'm so excited----I am really greatful for all of the info that you guys have posted. Oh2BThin and Cblanca--It's almost our day!!!!!!

I am Sooooooooooooooooo jealous about this sipping with meals thing! I'm gonna ask my doc about it, though he already told me that its a no-no. Haha. I've been trying to be very mindful of how much I drink with my meals. I went out for italian the other night and only went through 1 glass of Water. Thats very good for me, since I could usually go through 3-4! Seriously, I'm a BIG water drinker!!

OK. So, today I had to drink only full liquids. And I know I'm very lucky to only have 1 day of fulls, and one day of clears... but OMGoodness! Haha. I went through 6 slim fasts, 4oz OJ and 4oz apple juice. And for dinner I had a can of cream of mushroom Soup, blended. And I probably drank 2 gallons of water. I was a bit cranky this afternoon, but felt better when I got a diet coke... I think because it felt 'normal' to me. Sigh. I don't know HOW you all got through your 14 days of liquids. I had to buy some gum today just so I could chew. Ha!

So tomorrow I have 2 cans of Veggie broth(low sodium!) and will get some Jello from the cafeteria at work, that will be my 'treat.'

I'm mad cause I have a baked chicken breast in my fridge that I will have to throw out. Lol. I wanna drown it in some 'wing sauce' and eat it!!

Alright. Hope you all have a great night. I forgot to check the calendar, but good luck to whoever gets their band tomorrow!!

Hi Ange

Ross is great, I had no problems and have had an amazing recovery... weight loss is good also! My mum is being banded by Ross on 29th June too... she is very excited as I'm sure you are! You'll probably see her walking the corridors on Saturday :-)

The nurses at St Georges are really good too, the first night is fairly uncomfortable with IV and blood clot things on legs and no drinks (I was very thirsty so asked for a glass of Water and "spit" bowl which helped a lot). I only had Pamol after I got back to ward which was fine (they must give you a fairly lethal/long lasting pain killer in surgery), the port incision is the worst but I managed to sleep on my left side (port under right breast) that first night, I used a pillow down the side of the bed to stop me rolling over to far/fully which was helpful The two days after surgery they also inject a blood thinner into your lower abdomin (doesn't hurt but I did wonder what they were doing!).

I was up first thing on Saturday morning in shower (they give you a seat which is helpful but I didn't need it by the Sunday)... make sure that you don't put anything you need on the floor, I put the toilet seat down and put Shampoo etc on that and clothes in sink! Get walking as soon as you are able round the corridors... it relieves boredoma nd makes you feel better! I read "French Woman Don't Get Fat" by Mireille Guiliano and really recommend it, it completely changed my attitude about eating and made me look forward greatly to life as a Bandster where small portions are a must... I have bought it for mum for her hospital stay!

You will be fine, good luck with your pre-op etc :-)

Hi Sterbear

I was banded 1st June and yes, I am hungry!! However, I am determined to continue losing weight and unfortunately will have to rely mostly on willpower until my first fill in 6 weeks... I know that it will be hard but I just can't get down to my goal weight quick enough and just keep reminding myself that this is the last time I have to diet so strictly... I'm hoping to have lost another 7kgs (15.4lbs) by the fill... I've lost 3.5kgs (7.7lbs) since the op but realise that this is going to slow down considerably now that I'm on mushies!

It is very common to be hungry as the swelling goes down and most liquids/mushies go right on through... not sure if when we start solids we'll get some restriciton or not but from what I've read on other posts here I'm thinking not!

Good luck with your journey... it is soooo great to be in Bandland!

So i am scheduled to be banded June 26th. I am 2 days into my pre op liquid diet and I am making it but it does suck. I am nervous and second guessing this decision for the 'who know how many' time. I know this is the best thing but the whole surgery thing is scring me. I am for sure an over thinker. What if? What if? What if? My husband is very supportive but he is the type that supports me no matter what the choice is. Anyway I am also very excited for this change and cant wait.

(((((())))) to all the pre-op dieters out there. I'm on day #10. You can do it! The first few days are definitely the hardest, until your mind switches from thinking about food every minute to switching its focus to other things....like being THINNER....and HEALTHIER!! It really does get easier, I promise! And after surgery, you'll have an easier time with the liquid diet. :(

Sterber,

I was also banded on 6/7/07 in Mexico! Where at in Mexico where you banded and by which Dr.? How are you feeling now?

bcrazy7: I have cheated alot on my pre op diet! When I do cheat it's all low cal, low carb. My cal count for a day has been 550-700. But today I cheated big time! I had about two spoons of a Pasta salad and that took my cal count for the day from 700 to almost 1000. My pre op diet lets me eat one small meal a day and two pro drinks a day. I do drink the Isopure zero carb clear drink. I have had the powder mix isopure in the past and I hate it so much but the clears are very good. Good luck to you on the rest of your pre op diet.

Welcome Kaiasmom! We'll be banded on the same day! Have fun on the pre-op diet...I start next Tues for mine but that week includes a night out with my squad and a wedding in Virginia Beach. :cry

Good luck and keep us updated.

Wow it is such a small world. I should meet up with her on the day of the surgery. I have to be in a 7:00am in the morning. i am excited but nervous. What made your mum decide on the surgery? was it your results?

the big worry to me is the Band Slippage!!! My husband and I are self funding this operation with a mortgage so i really need thi to work. I am a Gym person which I enjoy. I am looking forward to My Sister in Laws wedding in Sept and Christmas alot slimmer me.

Hope to catch up soon

Kind Regards

Marylynncreel,

I was banded by Dr. Zapata in Monterrey. I am feeling great today. I am sore a little around the port, but other than that I am doing great. I have tiny gas pains in my shoulder, but they are so much better. I am so glad I did this now. Who was your doctor, where did you go, and how are you feeling? Were there times when you thought what the heck am I doing? However, I think that my stay in the Mexico hospital was the best hospital stay I have ever had. They were wonderful! Hope you are doing good also. It is so good to hear others that have had this done.

Just about to head to the hospital. I am looking forward to not being hungry for awhile! LOL

Those on the pre-op- HANG IN THERE- it does end. If you "cheat", just get back on it!

See ya' in BandLand.:(

Missy

Thanks KT99. I guess I thought that I would just not be hungry at all! I agree that I can't get to my goal weight quick enough! Willpower, willpower, willpower!