Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The dreaded dumping syndrome!

Hey everyone, I'm nine days post op and feeling well, no pain from my surgery, I'm mobile and doing my Wiifit exercises 30 mins to an hour everyday with no soreness or stiffness, and I've lost a total of 24 lbs since my surgery on the 21st. I'm very pleased with my surgeon, Dr. Alehy Tohamy (hope that's spelled correctly) his nurses and staff at weight Loss and Metabolic Surgery, 8815 Germantown Ave. Phladelphia, PA 19118, you guys here at bariatricpal.com, and most importantly, my hubby for all of his love and support.

I've been following my doctor and nutritionist's orders word for word, making sure to get in all of my fluids and Protein everyday as best as I can. I've never hit the 75 grams of protein per day however, since my surgery. Prior to surgery it was a piece of cake. I drank my shakes everyday, added protein to my Water and sipped on it as long as it took me to get it in, which sometimes ended up being a daylong event but nonetheless I got it all in. However, after surgery this has proven to be an arduous task. My taste buds have been altered because everything that i loved prior to surgery (sf popscicles, Decaf coffee, unflavored whey protein, broth, etc.) now tastes horrible and really makes my stomach go flip flopping all over the place for hours, which I just found out after crying to my dr. that I am experiencng "dumping syndrome."

I prayed yesterday after I tried mixing the Protein powder with some pureed banana, Lactaid milk, and ice cubes in my blender till it was shake consistency and drinking it that either I was allergic to some ingredient in the Protein Powder or my new stomach just simply does not like protein. Today I spoke to Dr. Tahomey and explained all the I've been experiencing in detail over the last four days and he explained to me that yes. this is the dreaded "dumping sydrome" that I've been trying to avoid, and yes, it is possible that my new stomach does not like to texture, taste, or consistency of the protein powder. I feel so relieved but this does nothing to help me with my need to get in enough protein to meet my quota for the day. Dr. Tahome suggested that I experiment with new ways of getting my protein in like adding it to plain yogurt with some fresh fruit that has been pureed, adding protein to my oatmeal in the morning. If anyone has any other suggestions I would love to hear them. This is only day nine for me and I'm sure I will be posting for more help as I enter stage three of my post surgery diet. Have a great day everyone!!!

I am sorry you are having this trouble and so thankful that I didn't. If you like Greek Yogurt, it is loaded with protein.......also I love the Premier shakes from costco of Sams club. They do have them at Walmart but they are more expensive. The chocolate is my favorite. 30 grams of Protein per drink...ready to drink

Try Fage 2% yogurts they have different flavor. What you said you blended in your Protein I did too on Saturday and lat me tell I was sick cold sweat washing me. I have never felt sick sunce I did my surgery on Feb 5 until Saturday.

My new stomach still cannot take much or food. I had problems getting my 70 grams Proteins and 700 calories. I Do Fage 12 gram P..and GNC weight loss lean shake 25g Prot

I am sorry you are having this trouble and so thankful that I didn't. If you like Greek Yogurt, it is loaded with protein.......also I love the Premier shakes from costco of Sams club. They do have them at Walmart but they are more expensive. The chocolate is my favorite. 30 grams of Protein per drink...ready to drink

Hi shmily, you are so awesome in this forum!! I've been following your posts closely and most of what you have to say I have found to be very beneficial to me. I do love Greek yougurt is is the only kind I buy but I dont have a favorite as I only buy plain in an effort to avoid all the added sugars found in the fruit greek yogurts. I remember reading your post to another of our family members but I couldn't remember the name of the shakes or where you purchased them. when I do my shopping i will be sure to purchase the premier shakes from Costco and let you know how they worked for me so far I've been adding my own pureed fruit to my greek yogrt and gettin some protein in that manner but I realize that I need much more to meet my quota. Thank you so much, I really appreciate you, you're a blessing to me!!!

Hi Sweethon,

I was just looking at the Fage 25 yougurt on my last shopping trip I'll have to try them next time around. I've been kind of purchasing whatever greek yogurt was on sale since they all seem to be loaded with Protein but I buy plain because I use it in other recipies for my family and when I want fruit I feel better pureeing my own fresh fruit an dadding it that way. I've also heard about GNC's weight Loss lean shakes but I have not tried them. I'll add them to my to do list of new protien shakes to try and after I've tried them I'll let you know how it went for me. My doc and nut both told me to keep experiemnting with new things until I find something that truly works for me. Thank you so much I really appreciate your feedback. Have a great day!!1

Try Fage 2% yogurts they have different flavor. What you said you blended in your Protein I did too on Saturday and lat me tell I was sick cold sweat washing me. I have never felt sick sunce I did my surgery on Feb 5 until Saturday.
My new stomach still cannot take much or food. I had problems getting my 70 grams Proteins and 700 calories. I Do Fage 12 gram P..and GNC weight loss lean shake 25g Prot

I was beginning to think I was the only one this month having this problem. I just cannot to take any Protein powder or the Isopure. Every time I try I am sick all day. I can not get enough fluids down either, Water hurts. I can sip on blue gaterade but that's about it. Please tell me this will pass!

MrsGloMartin, thank you for that wonderful compliment! I just looked at my greek yogurt label, I buy only Dannon Lite &Fit. It has 8 gr sugar. My husband has some other kinds and I looked at them, Activia has 19-22 gr sugar!!! I could not WAIT for my two weeks to be over so I could have some Greek Yogurt again.....but I only buy that brand... Best of luck...

I started with myoplex original. Like most low sugar the taste isn't wonderful but they're passable at least and I didn't actually mind the taste. And best part is each one has 42g of Protein so that's half way to daily requirement. Luckily I haven't had dumping yet but if my Greek yogurt has too high sugar(over about 10 for me) I get a little queasy. And if you find something that works, get a lot of them lol. Best of luck!

You're welcome, it's nice to find someone with a wealth of knowledge to share who's so willing to do so. I can't believe all the sugar in Activia, they have it in Greek now is this the sugar count for Greek or their regular? I love Activia and I have used it in the past to help keep me regular but I won't purchase it now with such a high sugar content. All the best to you too!!!

MrsGloMartin, thank you for that wonderful compliment! I just looked at my greek yogurt label, I buy only Dannon Lite &Fit. It has 8 gr sugar. My husband has some other kinds and I looked at them, Activia has 19-22 gr sugar!!! I could not WAIT for my two weeks to be over so I could have some Greek Yogurt again.....but I only buy that brand... Best of luck...

So sorry you ladies have having problems. I too used Premier Protein that I get at SAMs. I don't like the vanilla flavor only the chocolate. It is not thick like Protein powder, so maybe they will work for you. You could by the 4 pack at Walmart first to make sure you like them. I used Pure Protein ready mixed the first few weeks after surgery. I got them at walmart Light tasting and very easy. Some drugstores have these with 35 grams. LMy favorite Greek yogurt is Dannon Light and Fit. 12 grams of protein and not a lot of sugar or carbs. My nut recommended them to me. They have fruit flavor and vanilla. My favorite protein powder is Syntha 6 by Matrix. It tastes really good blended with almond milk and a little sugar free instant pudding mix, and ice in my bullet. Syntrax Nectar unflavored protein can be used to mix in drinks and food. Mixes very well. I hope some of this helps you. Good luck!

I started with myoplex original. Like most low sugar the taste isn't wonderful but they're passable at least and I didn't actually mind the taste. And best part is each one has 42g of Protein so that's half way to daily requirement. Luckily I haven't had dumping yet but if my Greek yogurt has too high sugar(over about 10 for me) I get a little queasy. And if you find something that works, get a lot of them lol. Best of luck!

Hi Volkitteh, thanks for the great info!!! I'm taking every bit of info I get and adding it to my list of things to try until I find the one that clicks with my new stomach. I pray that you never go through the dumping syndrome i swear it is worst that labor and I'm not kidding or exaggerating (my son weighed 12 2oz. at birth and I was in labor for over 12 hours) but this dumping syndrome was way worse because there was no relief in sight and it lasted for more that one day. I tried the Gasx strips but to no avail. I really appreciate your feedback, have a great evening!!!

THANKS EVERYONE :D

Shrilann46, I received your response to me via email but I can't find it here on this page but I want you to know how much I appreciate your feedback and support on this subject. dumping syndrome is no joke and it hurts really, reall bad causing you to become afraid to eat or try anything. but we know that it is crucial that we get our Protein and liquids in everyday along with our supplements this is where I find this site invaluable. I've added all responses and suggestions of Protein supplememnts to try to my todo list and as I try them I will keep you all informed about what worked and what did not. who knows, someone else may find your support helpful to them. Have a great evening everyone I am off to my wl support group to share my findings with other soldiers in the struggle to regain their health and happiness....

Hi,

I use Jay Robb whey Protein powder that comes in chocolate, vanilla, strawberry and tropical. It has 25g of Protein in it. You can purchase at Whole Foods, Amazon or eBay.

It's not gritty and it's made with Stevia. I also add Torani sugar free Syrup which is made with Splenda to it for added flavor. Torani sugar free syrups come in many flavors and you can purchase from the company, on Amazon or eBay.

Premier shakes come in vanilla, chocolate and strawberry at costco.

I use Fage 0% plain Greek yogurt and costco has it in 3 lb containers since you use it in cooking too for your family. The fruit flavors have to much sugar.

I forgot that if you want to try Jay Robb whey Protein Powder Whole Foods carry the individual packets to sample it.

I also used unjury chicken broth to help get in my protein because it has 20g of protein in each serving

I hope that you feel better and it will all improve.

Edited by Chelly

You are not alone--After I got on Stage 3 and started on solid with the dreaded

Dumping Syndrome. unjury shakes can't tolerate, meat of any kind or eggs. Can

only down yogurts and Dr. Atkins shakes. Weight has slowed down in loss, but

continue losing. Don't give up. Dumping isn't as bad as not seeing scale move.

You are not alone--After I got on Stage 3 and started on solid with the dreaded Dumping Syndrome. Unjury shakes can't tolerate, meat of any kind or eggs. Can only down yogurts and Dr. Atkins Shakes. Weight has slowed down in loss, but continue losing. Don't give up. Dumping isn't as bad as not seeing scale move.

Thanks, I'm losing weight steadily and I know it's because I'm not hungry and when I try to sip on something my stomach violently protests. I'm praying that it will get better soon for all of us so we can move on to the next stage of our journeys. God bless.