Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is the weight loss on track?

You've lost way more than I have....you should be thrilled with that progress

thanks. i appreciate it. I fear the dreaded 3 week stall I read about will happen. I hope not!

You've lost way more than I have....you should be thrilled with that progress

thanks. i appreciate it. I fear the dreaded 3 week stall I read about will happen. I hope not!

Sounds to me like you've made great progress! But try not to fear a pause....I don't even like the word "stall". We're asking an awful lot of our bodies with this surgery & we asked a lot before, when we were carrying around so much extra weight. Try to accept that you WILL have pauses while your body adjusts itself so it can keep on responding to the downward direction. That's a perfectly normal thing to happen, and it's not a reason to feel stressed or anxious. For me, it was much easier to stay on track through the pauses if I wasn't thinking of it as something being wrong. Good luck & congrats on your great progress so far!

As long as you are following the guidelines as closely as possible, then you will lose at the rate your body and composition is supposed to. Try not to compare yourself to others as no two people are alike. Only disappointment results from comparisons as there is no way to satisfy your expectations.

Just keep doing the next right thing and you will lose weight.

As long as you are following the guidelines as closely as possible, then you will lose at the rate your body and composition is supposed to. Try not to compare yourself to others as no two people are alike. Only disappointment results from comparisons as there is no way to satisfy your expectations. Just keep doing the next right thing and you will lose weight.

My friends keep scolding me because I say "I ONLY lost fifteen pounds in the first four weeks post op". They all think it's great, but I'm comparing it to my friend who lost almost 30. It's hard not to compare. :)

Sounds good to me! :)

As long as you are following the guidelines as closely as possible, then you will lose at the rate your body and composition is supposed to. Try not to compare yourself to others as no two people are alike. Only disappointment results from comparisons as there is no way to satisfy your expectations. Just keep doing the next right thing and you will lose weight.

My friends keep scolding me because I say "I ONLY lost fifteen pounds in the first four weeks post op". They all think it's great, but I'm comparing it to my friend who lost almost 30. It's hard not to compare. :)

Tell your friend to "F-off" :)

If you think about it, it really doesn't make any sense to compare. What are you really comparing? There is no way two people came to the starting line with the same backgrounds. Let's think about the differences:

- Weight loss experience

- Percentage of body fat (not BMI, that is almost worthless)

- Amount of musculature

- BMR

- Pre-op weight loss (a person who lost 10# pre-op will appear to be a slower loser than the person who did not have a pre-op diet, which can throw your mind off)

- Fitness level (I can be fat, yet still fit and when doing an exercise class with someone who is not, my body will get to an aerobic zone sooner)

The list goes on and on. The only reason to compare yourself to another is to either make them or yourself feel bad. At least, that is what the end result always seems to be. It just does no good and there really is no basis for whatever results you discover from your comparison. What does it mean, anyway? They are more/less compliant than you? They have more/less willpower than you? You are more/less of a person than they are?

Just stay focused on your program and stay as compliant to the guidelines as you can, and in 12 months you will see how little was gained and how much was lost by comparing.

PdxMan,

You are so correct. I see my job as this:

One day at a time I am to drink the liquid I need to drink, consume the Protein I need to consume and be as active as I can possibly be.

Keeping track of the weight loss and everything else is MY DOCTOR'S JOB. I do keep a graph of what I weigh at my follow-up visits--to me that's all I need.

I am to do what I am responsible for one day at a time.

I cannot compare myself to others--different mamas and daddies--different DNA--different lives.

Kathleen

Edited by Katcloudshepherd

I cannot agree any more with previous posts about not comparing. I fell into that trap and I became depressed for quite a while due to it. I have a friend who was sleeved almost two months after I was, yet this friend has lost a LOT more than I have!! But what I didn't take into account was 1) he is a tall male who weighed over 400lbs to start. 2) I lost 33 lbs prior to surgery on my own diet. My friend did nothing to curb his eating or try to lose weight before he started his 10 day pre op diet. 3) I am me and he is he, and you are you. We all have entirely different bodies and those bodies will all do entirely different things. Once I finally got my head screwed on right about this whole thing I started feeling much better. Sure, I have lost about 85lbs since I started my journey last August, while my friend has lost around 110lbs since he started in December. But the key fact is I HAVE LOST 85 POUNDS!!! This is my journey, my body, my life. I stopped being jealous and resentful of his success and realized I am happy with mine. I am also happy he is doing as well as he is, because it has improved his life. Just do your plan and be true to yourself, because in the end that is all that counts...And btw- CONGRATS on the great job you have already done!

I don't understand posts like this.

Stick around life will teach ya thangs (%>)