Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do any of you...

GingerSnap I was in the same place as you were with the WW Leader...most of them that I know have only lost maybe 25 to 30 lbs, and if they wish to remain leaders they have to keep it off. Only knew one that lost over 100+, not sure if she is still a leader or not, nor do I really want to know. Our journey is our journey not theirs...you go...for you!!! Congrats!!! :rolleyes:

After 27 years of "miracle" diet pills and wishful thinking, I had to face the fact that I couldn't lose weight without surgery. I believe we are all victims of marketing hype that tell us if only we had enough self-discipline, we could win the battle over weight.

But there are too many factors that come into play that over-ride self-discipline to boil it all down to just a lack of will power. We all have different genetics. I know there's a lot more at play than just genetics, but I believe it plays a big part in whether or not the body stores or burns up excess calories.

I totally agree with you on this subject!

I'm not a big girl per say my heaviest weight was 218 but I'm only 5'2" n i have..

sleep apnea, Cronic Back pain, pain in my knees n hips, degenerative discs n 2 Bulging discs, I have swelling in the lower part of my legs, rhumitoid arthritis, borderline diabetes, n GERD

So getting this surgery done n helping me live without pain n pills will be awesome.

I think you should try really hard to lose and maintain on your own before you committ to surgery. That way, when the going gets tough, you will know that you really did attempt and not have any doubts.

I have lost and regained significant amounts of weight pre gastric sleeve. I never got anywhere near a normal weight and I have to say I am finding being a normal size, looking like a person who was never fat, is very motivational for me. I never found that pre gastric sleeve.

Let's face it, the surgery is really just a tool, you need to make major changes in your life but I simply could not do that without the help of this tool. I know I tried my very best though... no doubts there.

maybe you can do this on your own without the help of surgery?

@@nerms said - "I wouldn't be here if I could do it alone haha :("

after reading all 36 posts above - i think the first/above response says what we all are saying/thinking, wrapped up in a bow

this is a simple straight forward response that we all believe

i never thought about WLS in the past

i frequently saw a specific commercial with a happy overweight (conflict in terms) couple talking about getting WLS

i always kindof laughed as if "yeah right, surgery"

one day i was at my docs and cautiously/carefully said "what do you think about me having WLS???

he turned around and said he thought that was a great idea :)

my life changed/started that minute :)

2.5 years PO i have and will continue to work hard but successfully with my wonderful best friend the sleeve

its my companion that i talk to when i'm so happy with life (which is usually)about my new eating habits and life in general

its always around to "remind" me sometimes to "watch it" and not to eat something or too much of something

it usually catches me early enough that no prob has happened

once or twice it "allows" me to continue with what i am doing wrong

i am reminded what will happen, if i don't follow the rules

i learn my lesson - struggle on - and learn from it

but despite popular belief - i am NOT PERFECT :o :D

like some/many others on the board i have my "moments" :(

i wasn't on a special floor at the hospital when i had surgery

room mate and i were talking about our surgeries

i told her i had WLS - she looked at me and said in a nice tone

"you must have felt very desperate"

that sums up my decades of losing and gaining weight

kathy

Edited by proudgrammy

Do which part? Lose weight or maintain it? Yes, before I got the surgery my mind was asking the same thing, however; I fought it by saying that I can and have lost weight on my own (87lbs of it) but the maintaining part fades me. The lack of self control is hard for me. I determined that something needs to give and that something was me giving in to something that will prevent me from overeating, eating too fast and only inhaling my food, and something that will prevent me to yo-yo like I was doing. I gave into my life saving tool. My new lover - 'Baby Tummy'

I felt that way after I lost 15 pounds on my pre op diet. It is pretty common. For me, I figured surgery was my best shot at losing the weight and keeping it off.

that's exactly what my doctor asked me, when I was hem hawing, about setting a date. and in truth I could not have lost the 65 lbs that hung around my tummy making me looking a brown umpa lumpa. If there's one thing I would change, it would be to do more research on it. very pleased with results. It should not be a daily struggle to know what to eat, but for some it is is (me) only because we are still unsure of ourselves.