Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So Discouraged - Please Help

hahahaha...i had flavored cardboard for Breakfast.

someone already mentioned a online program for tracking your calories/excercise. Someone from on here recommended www.fitday.com to me, then my nutritionalist required it! i love it. IF YOUR HONEST with it, and list what you eat, and how often you excercise (it breaks it down as to what kinds etc) it is a wonderful way of keeping track of not only your calories, but also your carb intake, your fat intake, your Vitamin requirements etc. I usually hit it twice a day to maintain it.

good luck!

Add another voice to the "too many carbs" chorus. I have done the low carb thing in the past and it really will get things moving better than low fat, especially if you are at all metabolically "challenged." Carbs are carbs, period. Some may be metabolized more slowly than others, but the end result is the same. So sugar-free foods don't really make a difference if the carb count is the same. Plus if the sugar is replaced with sugar alcohols, they can give you diarrhea. :omg:

Another factor to consider is that since Protein foods are denser, they actually fill you up faster and keep you satisfied longer. The chicken and asparagus are great choices, but try an egg instead of the bagel (you could even make an omelet with egg or egg white (which I personally can't stomach) and a little low-fat cheese - don't use fat-free, it replaces the fat with too many carbs, plus it doesn't melt!). As for the pineapple juice, you may as well be drinking sugar water! Try a Protein shake, or better yet Isopure to drink instead. It tastes sort of like Crystal Light but has 50 grams of Protein per bottle. On to your Snacks - the pretzels and trail mix, again, too many carbs. A few nuts a couple of times a week add some protein, Vitamins and minerals and will give you something to crunch on, but dried fruit is packed with carbs and useless calories and pretzels have pretty much zero nutritional value. Oh, and it would be better if you cut out the Pasta too, but if you do eat it at least there are whole-grain pastas out there now that are better choice. The carbs/calories are a bit lower because of the increased Fiber content. And they really don't taste any different that regular Pasta IMO.

Don't forget to drink as much Water as you can. It's supposed to help you feel full (doesn't do a thing for me), but beyond that it actually helps boost your metabolism so it should give you a little jump start to get losing again.

We all have to learn to make better choices. The band is just a tool - make it work for you!

Good luck!

Wow, I just noticed the volume of food you're actually eating. Three oz of chicken plus 1/2 cup each asparagus and green Beans is a lot of food. Your pouch should not even be able to hold that much, especially if you've already had fills. I would definitely talk to your Dr about this...

I agree that you need more Protein, and I agree that sometimes we just plateau. If you don't get discouraged during a plateau, and stick with sensible eating, you may find that you lose a bunch of weight in a spurt later.

Having said that, I also have to say that I do not agree with some of the other comments made on this thread. In particular, I'm really reluctant to chalk up "salad" as "wasted space." I think many people would argue that Fiber and the Vitamins and minerals from raw, fresh, leafy green vegetables have value. I believe we need to pay attention to overall health here, and not just focus entirely on weight loss.

Above all, I would advise that you broaden beyond this forum with respect to your nutrition advice. I do think that the opinions on this forum have value, but I also think it would be useful to discuss this with a nutritionist. Is one available to you through your doctor?

Originally posted by marjon9

I'm really reluctant to chalk up "salad" as "wasted space." I think many people would argue that fiber and the Vitamins and minerals from raw, fresh, leafy green vegetables have value.

I agree...partially. Iceburg lettuce is pretty much just crunchy Water. Romaine and others (the darker the better) are much better choices. Spinach salad is probably one of the best, and tastes great too! Toss on a little low-fat cheese and some olive oil & vinegar dressing...yum!

My meeting with the nutritionist yesterday gave me guidelines for what a 'serving' should be for me post-op. She said a 'carb serving' should be no more than 15 carbs on the label (which is really low..eek) and I think she compared it to the size of a baseball, but I don't think thats entirely right because one cracker can have like what, 50 carbs? She said no more than a dice worth of fat (don't remember other numbers off top of my head, just the pictures she associated it with), 3oz of meat which she said is like a deck of cards.

If it makes you feel any better, I've been at the same weight for 6 months. I know why, too--because I've needed a fill for 6 months (I'm happy to report I'm going in next wee to get the adjustment).

Also remember, at least you're not gaining.

I understand your frustration at being plateaued for two months. Go see your doctor, get some help. Also try switching up your exercise routine (trick your body!) and maybe add a little more time so you're doing a tiny bit more exercise than you are now. Changing your diet to include more veggies might help, too.

Thanks, I will try that. I thought eating the salad and low fat products would expedite my weight loss. I'm willing to try anything. I'm not much on the Protein Bars, haven't found one that tastes good. Can you recommend a good one - they usually taste like flavored card board.

I really like the Atkins Protein bars. I use them as a snack. I will eat half of one when I am craving chocolate. They are 150 calories and at least have protein in them and are low carb. The ones I really like are double chocolate crunch, and the chocolate carmel nougat.

I also recommend FitDay. After I signed up for the free online version, I upgraded and downloaded the software version for around $10. It was so worth it. The software version is ten times better than the online version

Good luck.

I am just wondering as I hear alot of people saying they have needed a fill for a long time. Why don't you go get one, I don't understand waiting for 6 months, doesn't the doctor follow you on a regular basis. I thought thta was a must. Just curious..?

If it makes you feel any better, I've been at the same weight for 6 months. I know why, too--because I've needed a fill for 6 months (I'm happy to report I'm going in next wee to get the adjustment).

I am just wondering as I hear alot of people saying they have needed a fill for a long time. Why don't you go get one, I don't understand waiting for 6 months, doesn't the doctor follow you on a regular basis. I thought thta was a must. Just curious..?

One thing about the band, it's different for everybody. Some people can't eat this list of things, other people can't eat the other list of things. Still others can eat anything.

When it comes to fills and restriction, the same applies. I was banded a few months ago and still have quite a bit of restriction from the operation. I've never had a fill. Other people need 8 fills before they feel any restriction.

And when it comes to doctor care, the same is true there as well. Some people have a lot of involvement with their doctor, others have none. If you are self-pay, and had your surgery far away from where you live, you may never talk to the doctor again. In fact, I would say that people who are regularly supervised by their doctors are in the minority.

And since people are usually on their own with the band, at least mostly on their own, they do different things. Some people feel like taking things slow and holding off on getting a fill for six months, even if the "need" one. After all, it does not hurt you to leave the band unfilled. It just sits there, waiting for you, until you are ready to use it.

Other people are very aggressive about fills, and try to get good restriction as fast as possible, getting several fills within the first few months.

Anyway, you get the point. When it comes to the band, there is no "normal" way. Each person finds their own way to use this highly flexible tool depending on their needs and circumstances.

Thanks, I will try that. I thought eating the salad and low fat products would expedite my weight loss.

I went to my first post-op seminar today and the nurse said that lettuce acts the same as drinking with your meal and so it's not recommended. She said that you can eat (for instance) some cottage cheese and tuna and be satiated but if you eat it with lettuce as a salad, you will not be full.

Different reasons. One reason is that some docs are verrrry expensive. I've seen fills as high as $1100.00. I'm really lucky because my doc does fills at no charge for life.

Some people have to drive a long distance for fills, I've seen some drive 6 hours each way. It's pretty easy to procrastinate when you have a 12 hour driving day. :mad:

My doctor sees me every six weeks. I live less than 5 minutes from his office.

He charged me 10,000 for the surgery including fills and I heard Mexico was 8500. I decided it just wasn't worth it to me to save 1500. Plus I would have had airfare in there and would have to worry about fills. My doctor is really close if I was to get filled too much, he would be a phone call away.

I don't feel full with Protein bars. Here's my usual day...

Slim Fast low carb shake for breakfast (too restricted!)

Lunch: 4-6 ounces of protein and some vege salad with a few berries sprinkled in

Dinner: Same as lunch.< /p>

If dinner out, I order anything hi protein and eat a small portion of it. It's my treat and my variety.

If a carb touches my mouth, I stop losing!

But I also didn't feel restricted enough until after my third fill.