Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Brand New to all of this

I am a 37 year old male that has always struggles with my weight. Multiple diets that did nothing more than induce degrees of yo-yo weight gain/loss. I have been a type 1 diabetic since age 7, and now deal with type 2 as well. I have finally made the decision to consider VSG. I am in the baby stages. I have gone to the first seminar and have scheduled my first appointment. I am a bit nervous of the road ahead, but with a brand new baby at home, and my co-morbidities, I fear not seeing her graduate high school even more. I am seeing Dr. Jeffrey Johnsrud at St. Josephs in OC. The whole process is intimidating to me down to and including complications. I am an ICU Nurse and see a lot of normal procedure go wrong, but I keep telling myself I only see a small fraction of bad when overwhelmingly results are great.

That's exactly how I feel good luck to you keep us posted on your surgery date. Mine is 5/1 and I'm excited, nervous and scared but God is on my side so why should I worry at all. :rolleyes:

Good luck to you and congratulations on the new baby! I am almost 2 months out and I have been very happy with my progress. I was one of the lucky ones with no complications and not much pain at all. :) my surgeon said the procedure went great. I was back to a very active job in 2 weeks with no problems.

Hey gettinsmall,

I too am an ICU Nurse and the "what if"s are what really hold me back. We know too much and see some of the worst situations. Even despite all the positive stories all I can think of are the complications (even the ones shared on here). I would hate to do this only to have a life changing complication. I'm relatively healthy other than food and weight issues and I can't imagine compromising my health if something were to happen. I'm a binge eater and an emotional eater too and the fear of the unknown, not having that comfort (despite how much pain it also brings me) is scary too. I don't really want to tell anyone at work if I were to get surgery and I imagine if anything went wrong having to explain why I was out for several weeks. I also would think that two weeks might be ok for some jobs, but ours is a physically demanding one and I would almost think 2 weeks wouldn't be enough (and what if I did cause issues by doing too much when I went back). Anyway, I'm not sure that I helped but have not seen another ICU nurse on here. I figured you would understand some of those fears. You obviously have a great motivator in your baby girl. I wish you luck in whatever you decide.

I am a nurse and even with all the things i have seen i new i needed the sleeve in the worst way. So i got to know my doctor well and also talked with patients i would see walk in to get a feel for my doctor. I have 5 kids from 14-2 yrs old. I weight 330 lbs and my health was getting very bad. I wanted to be around for my husband and my kids. I had lost all energy to want to play with them or do anything for that matter. I have lost 91 lbs in 21 wks and i feel amazing. This was the best decision i made for my family and I. I hope this help :)