Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Went to the first seminar last night and did a complete 180!

I went to the two and a half hour seminar last night with my mom. Luckily, my support group is awesome. I was 120% for the sleeve. I read about the bypass and the idea of moving stuff around just seemed too invasive to me.

However, with that said. After being at the seminar, I am thinking much more about the bypass for the following reasons;

-I have a major problem with sweets, this has always been my downfall

-My center of excellence has done over 300,000 bypass operations, and have a much longer history on the bypass because it has been around longer.

-Seeing the surgeries actually done last night, the sleeve seems just as invasive considering they completely remove the stomach and pull it out of a small incision.

-the staples across the entire length of the stomach are concerning to me as far as the possibility of leaks.

-I have acid reflux quite a bit now

So, I guess I'm coming here for guidance. How likely is it that I will develop dumping from sweets? Would other people mind sharing their experiences? It would greatly help my decision process!

Numbers can be deceptive but a conservative estimate is that there is a 50/50 chance that you will experience dumping following gastric bypass. Reality check - that means that there is a 50% chance that you might not experience dumping at all. It is a mistake going into bariatric surgery assuming that dumping will occur. But in the overall scheme of things - dumping is just not that important.

There is a long list of benefits associated with bariatric surgery including improvement or resolution of more than 30 comorbidities associated with obesity including type 2 diabetes, sleep apnea, hypertension, cardio vascular disease and many more. Not a single one of these benefits is attributed to dumping. None. Zero.

You certainly are not alone in having a pre-op sweet tooth and I'm sure others will share their post-op experiences. For now, consider the importance of what you likely heard at your seminar - lifestyle changes. The surgery is not a magic bullet. It can be defeated. Healthcare professionals seem to do a very good job of stressing the importance of lifestyle changes, but perhaps they are less effective in helping folks understand how to achieve those changes.

In my experience, the key is "follow your plan". As closely to the letter as you possibly can. Your team will almost certainly give you detailed instructions regarding what your plan is for each stage of your journey. It is the act of following that plan, literally living that plan, that produces the all-important lifestyle changes. In the beginning, it can be challenging. But changes are taking place, even though you may not be aware of them. Every day it becomes a little easier. Every day you think about it a little less. Every day that you follow your plan is a success worthy of celebrating. Some tips for your consideration:

• Stay focused - follow your plan as closely to the letter as you possibly can.
  • Stay positive - as long as you are following your plan, there is absolutely no doubt that you will lose weight. The laws of science and the universe cannot be denied. Trust the process.
  • Stay patient - forget about a timeline. Commit to following your plan for as long as it takes. Never compare your weight loss to someone else's weight loss. Everyone is different. There are simply too many variables.
  • Exercise - when cleared by your doctor, exercise at least three times a week. Exercise does not have to be synonymous with working your body to exhaustion. I lost 130 lbs just plain old walking. Three or more times per week. I started with 20 minutes each time. Today I walk about 3 miles at least three times a week, sometimes more.
  • Stay away from the scales - we all understand the temptation. But there are going to be times when you lose weight very quickly, other times when you lose more slowly, and still other times when you don't lose at all. You know those times are coming. You know they're all perfectly normal. If you measure your success by the number on the scale, it is frustrating, stressful, discouraging and even self-defeating. Regardless of what your weight is doing, your response is a l w a y s the same - follow your plan. The weight will take care of itself. Do your best to resist the temptation to weigh more often than every two weeks.
  • Maintain a food log - My Fitness Pal is highly recommended but there are a number of apps that do essentially the same thing. There are countless benefits to using a food log but perhaps this is the most important one - clinical studies have proven, again and again, that folks who maintain a food log lose more weight, lose it faster and are more successful at maintaining their weight than those who don't. Next to the surgery, food logs are the most powerful tool you can have in your arsenal.
  • Forget about a weight goal - I know, this is a tough one, but it has great benefits. Commit to following your plan until your body tells you that it's at the weight it wants to be at. In my case my weight stabilized at 155 just a little under 14 months post-op. Today, a year and a half later, I'm at 153. That's where my body wants to be. Your journey will be less stressful, less frustrating, more fun, and much easier if you just trust the process, trust your body, and let it happen.

Your goal is physical change but your challenge is mental discipline. Follow your plan and...

You're gonna love the new you!!

I don't know anything about dumping syndrome, yet. I have not had my surgery. However, my surgeon wouldn't even let me consider the sleeve because I have reflux so bad. He said the sleeve has a history of causing reflux in patients. So it's RNY for me. Cannot wait to be rid of this stinkin heartburn. Good luck with your WLS journey!

I initially wanted a sleeve but insurance wouldn't pay for it , then after hearing the whole story about this vs that, I was glad for the bypass because it will hold me more accountable. If I eat anything I am not supposed to, it can make me sick and I don't want that, and I do not want to try it and see....

I was initially getting the sleeve. My suregon said I wasn't a good candidate due to my reflux. He felt that I would lose more weight with the bypass so ultimately that's what we decided on :)

I went to the two and a half hour seminar last night with my mom. Luckily, my support group is awesome. I was 120% for the sleeve. I read about the bypass and the idea of moving stuff around just seemed too invasive to me. However, with that said. After being at the seminar, I am thinking much more about the bypass for the following reasons; -I have a major problem with sweets, this has always been my downfall -My center of excellence has done over 300,000 bypass operations, and have a much longer history on the bypass because it has been around longer. -Seeing the surgeries actually done last night, the sleeve seems just as invasive considering they completely remove the stomach and pull it out of a small incision. -the staples across the entire length of the stomach are concerning to me as far as the possibility of leaks. -I have acid reflux quite a bit now So, I guess I'm coming here for guidance. How likely is it that I will develop dumping from sweets? Would other people mind sharing their experiences? It would greatly help my decision process!

I got sleeved in October 2011, it was initially great although I always felt that I could eat more than a friend who had same procedure, gradually over the first twelve months my reflucpx which had only ever been a minor niggle got so bad. I began eating extra carbs in the form of crackers, toast to try and get rid of the reflux as meds were not helping. Even with exercise 4 times a week, high intensity, I was having to really watch calorie intake, anytime I went over 1000 cals I gained. I always had hunger, head or otherwise and despite losing 30kg, I stalled and then gained about 5 back due to making poor choices and just felt like a failure. After twelve months of feeling really down on myself I decided to go back and see my bark atria surgeon, who stated that he is doing about 50% sleeve to bypass revisions now for similar reasons. I get that for some people it has been the total package and that's great but for me I need the extra push. I'm lucky I only weigh 80kgs, though only 5'2" and he has agreed to do the surgery on public list so no out of pocket. (Only because I have family history of comorbidities)

I'm having my op in May and am focused on following every rule, and seeing nut for long time post op to keep me on track. Hope my tale helps, the comments from others are true, stay focused and follow the rules and you will be fine, good luck!

I got sleeved in October 2011, it was initially great although I always felt that I could eat more than a friend who had same procedure, gradually over the first twelve months my reflucpx which had only ever been a minor niggle got so bad. I began eating extra carbs in the form of crackers, toast to try and get rid of the reflux as meds were not helping. Even with exercise 4 times a week, high intensity, I was having to really watch calorie intake, anytime I went over 1000 cals I gained. I always had hunger, head or otherwise and despite losing 30kg, I stalled and then gained about 5 back due to making poor choices and just felt like a failure. After twelve months of feeling really down on myself I decided to go back and see my bark atria surgeon, who stated that he is doing about 50% sleeve to bypass revisions now for similar reasons. I get that for some people it has been the total package and that's great but for me I need the extra push. I'm lucky I only weigh 80kgs, though only 5'2" and he has agreed to do the surgery on public list so no out of pocket. (Only because I have family history of comorbidities) I'm having my op in May and am focused on following every rule, and seeing nut for long time post op to keep me on track. Hope my tale helps, the comments from others are true, stay focused and follow the rules and you will be fine, good luck!

Apologies for spelling, stupid auto correct on ipad!

I wanted sleeve but insurance would not pay for that. I opted for bypass and am glad I did as stats show bypass patients have to follow plans more rigorously or there will be dumping....I needed that.....I am glad I did.

I choose gastric bypass over other types of weight loss surgery because it had the lowest rate of revisions. If I go through the surgery once, I never want to go through it again. It also produces the most dramatic weight loss and the weight drops off the quickest. I also had acid reflux before surgery. One of the drugs they prescribed for me for the first year after surgery was Omeprazole (which can be bought over the counter as Prilosec), which is for acid reflux. They prescribed it to promote the healing of my stomach. I think that is routine. Anyways I am 11 months post-op and heartburn has not been a problem. As far as dumping caused by overeating, yes it can be a problem. But before you hit the dumping stage, your body warns you that you are reaching your limit.

I also had an addiction to sweets prior to surgery. But I stay away from them now. I try and limit my intake of processed sugar and opt for synthetic sweeteners. But sometimes by accident, I do consume greater levels of process sugar than my body wants. It seems that my reaction to this is not dumping but rather diarrhea and a bit of stomach ache.

Thank you James for your response, that was very informative. I have pretty consistent heartburn now.

Do you find your tastes have changed a lot since surgery?

I chose bypass also. I had gerd and it resolved with surgery. I only have had two dumping episodes. One from eating too much fat and one from eating too much. Sweets don't bother me at all.

Thank you James for your response, that was very informative. I have pretty consistent heartburn now.

Do you find your tastes have changed a lot since surgery?

Right after surgery, almost everything tasted bland. But now since I am 11 months post surgery, food has flavor again. But then again, I am eating high Protein chili and high Protein Soups which are full of flavor. This approach may not be the norm but it works for me.

I was 100% sure I want the sleeve. I was absolutely sure all I need is restriction and I can do the rest. My surgeon recommended the bypass but I ignored him and kept talking about the sleeve and how much I think it is the surgery for me.

Then I had my pre-ops and turns out I have reflux. I was heartbroken that I have to go for the bypass - and how happy I am now! Looking back now I am not sure if restriction only would have been enough for me...I dunno, maybe. But knowing the malabsorption is there too, gives me an extra assurance, although I am doing my job too. I am surprised that I still have a good appetite, I enjoy food and I have no dumping - so if you choose this surgery because you have problem with sweets and you think bypass will help you to stay away from them, you might be out of luck!

I wish you luck with your decision, honestly, if you suffer with reflux probably you already know bypass is your best choice.