Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I went to Mexico too.

I wouldn't say that all reports are "glowing" because I have heard my share of horror stories but my personal experience I would rate as "okay". Not terrific, not terrible, but got the job done.

There are plenty of doctors in the US that take self pay now are are competitive with their rates. There are a few in Denver that are around $11k, one is Michigan that is $12k, a couple in Texas and in Chicago is $14k. I would suggest to look around. The aftercare once you have been banded in Mexico is frustrating but for me it is okay because I am closer to the border.

I don't think Mexico is bad, but I also would have paid the money to have it done in the US if it had only been $1k more. Just the safety and psychological security of it would of been nice. But I am not steering you away from Mexico (or Belgium or Europe) but I just want to suggest looking deeper into options here in the states.

And if BMI is an issue, nowadays doctors here in states will do that too because of the Mexico success.

Why didn't you think it was great? Was there something specific you think they did wrong or should have done but didn't?

I read so many good things about Dr. Ortiz. I'm nervous to go to Mexico as well but he has actually done more Lap Bands than the other surgeons in at least my area (NJ and NY) that I have called. I was hoping that his experience would make up for the fact that he's not in the US. I"m just asking because I paid already and I'm really hoping for the best!

I also went to Ortiz and think he is the most experienced, etc. I was very pleased. The only caveat for me - there was NO way i could have the surgery in the states because of a lower bmi - had the option been available and knowing what i know now (I have had a super hard time losing weight and have spent tons of money on fills/travel to tijuana) i would have had it done in the states - with a very experienced doc. I spent 10K for the surgery and 10k for fills (almost) so all in all there are many docs who do it for that price or less in the states and some includes fills for the first year and support groups. I would have benefited from those things. Dr. Ortiz and staff give you their cell phones and are available by phone but you either have to travel there or to the hospital for real emergencies.

if you are self pay and chose Mexico you will be surprised at the care - at least with Ortiz and cleanliness, etc. He also has more experience then anyone in the states and trained many of the surgeons here.

good luck.

Hi I was banded 4/9/07 by Dr. Aceves in Mexicali. A 5 hr drive from home (Las Vegas) everything going great. Went w/ a friend he has lost 16# I am down 5,maybe 7. Not a complaint in the world regarding the care and cleanliness. Dr. Aceves and his staff are just super wonderful! Good luck, Joanne ps: you may inquire as to the cost of fills, that figured into my decision too. Aceves is free for life, hospital charges about $80 for fluroscope.

I also went to Ortiz and think he is the most experienced, etc. I was very pleased. The only caveat for me - there was NO way i could have the surgery in the states because of a lower bmi - had the option been available and knowing what i know now (I have had a super hard time losing weight and have spent tons of money on fills/travel to tijuana) i would have had it done in the states - with a very experienced doc. I spent 10K for the surgery and 10k for fills (almost) so all in all there are many docs who do it for that price or less in the states and some includes fills for the first year and support groups. I would have benefited from those things. Dr. Ortiz and staff give you their cell phones and are available by phone but you either have to travel there or to the hospital for real emergencies.

if you are self pay and chose Mexico you will be surprised at the care - at least with Ortiz and cleanliness, etc. He also has more experience then anyone in the states and trained many of the surgeons here.

good luck.

Hello Mary, that doesn't seem like much of a loss at all! My BMI was 34 and I think that is considered low...but looks like you have been banded a year. Don't the fills last?? I am VERY intrested in your situation. thanks. jb

Hi,

I don't have anything bad to say about MX. Dr. Ortiz was my first choice if I had gone to MX. My only problem was finding a followup doctor when I got back here. Several doctors here would see me, but at a higher cost.

I ended finding a doctor here in the U.S. that had a great rate. I ended up going w/Dr. Kirshenbaum in Denver, CO. I had a great experience.

Good luck w/what ever you choose.

good luck.

I cannot believe that you went through all of that for 14 lbs!

That is such a shame. I also have a lower BMI. I am discouraged by your results. Do you follow the guidelines? Is it just that you are never full? That is my problem - I am never full. I just keep eating and then suddenly I feel stuffed after way too much. I thought the band was supposed to help that! Please share your story.

If you are worried about going to Mexico for fills, check out fill centers usa, their is a link on his web site. Maybe there is one close to you. My whole experience was great with Dr Ortiz. I was so nervous and scared to go to Mexico, but I checked a dr in my area and they wanted 18500.00 for the surgery and they were trained by DR Ortiz, for me, as I was self pay, it was why pay so much more for someone with less experience. As soon as I got to Mexico and started meeting everyone at the OCC, I was sure I had made the right decision.

Good luck with your surgery.

mema

Anniejo and Joanna -

Believe me I know what discouraged is - I have been on the brink of despair and have gone from wanting to get the band out, diet pills, weight watchers, you name it - absolute hell trying to get this band to work.

And yes I followed the rules at least 95% of the time. I tracked my calories on fitday for over a year and met with the nutritionist twice - i've been filled/unfilled and have eaten between 800-1500 calories and exercised 4-7 days a week. I snow skied in the winter very strenuously and exercised at a gym.

At my last fill I was up in lbs for a total loss of 6 in almost two years. Since my last fill I am finally losing. I am 2.3 in my band which is where I started (minus a loss) so I think this is a good fill for me.

However, I now eat less then 600 calories a day - I'm tight all day so I have some v8 juice and maybe a Protein shake or Soup and then about 1/2 cup of food for dinner.

I am now at a total loss of 16 lbs as of today. I'm weak and don't exercise much but I take my Vitamins and I don't care as I am finally losing.

I was 5'2 and 183lbs at surgery (well lost to 179 day of) today i am at 163 and my goal is 125.

I never thought I could stand this low of calories but I guess it is what it takes for me to lose weight and I am going to stik with it. I've spent almost 20,000 and I refuse to be a complete failure. I am still hungry during the day but do get full faster on a very small amount of food. I never had that before with the band and always had to exercise restraint with amount, etc.

I got banded March 20th in Tj. Had a wonderful Dr (Huacuz) and Staff to meet all my/sons needs. I'll tell you the story. While in Tj, my son was kidnapped, beaten, stripped of his clothes, had knife held to his throat. druggies took all his cash, debit card, emptied our bank account, took cell phone, thankfully after several hours the head druggie let him go with his jeans and shoes. I was in a panic when he did not return as scheduled. So this is the warning part, don't go shopping by yourself even if its only a few blocks from the hospital. We flew home a few days later me thanking the lord my son was with me. I'm dropping on average 1 lb a day and very pleased with my progress. Please whatever you do be careful.

I got banded March 20th in Tj. Had a wonderful Dr (Huacuz) and Staff to meet all my/sons needs. I'll tell you the story. While in Tj, my son was kidnapped, beaten, stripped of his clothes, had knife held to his throat. druggies took all his cash, debit card, emptied our bank account, took cell phone, thankfully after several hours the head druggie let him go with his jeans and shoes. I was in a panic when he did not return as scheduled. So this is the warning part, don't go shopping by yourself even if its only a few blocks from the hospital. We flew home a few days later me thanking the lord my son was with me. I'm dropping on average 1 lb a day and very pleased with my progress. Please whatever you do be careful.

That is a horrible story! I'm so glad your son is OK, but Geeez, what a thing to go through, especially when you're already going through so much.

I'm glad you and your family are all right!

OH MY GOD THAT IS AWFUL!!!!!! He is so lucky to be OK. How old is he? I will make sure we don't go anywhere alone there. We may not even go out after that story. I guess you couldn't even press charges. Did the bank credit back the $$$ that was taken with the debit card?

Anniejo and Joanna -

Believe me I know what discouraged is - I have been on the brink of despair and have gone from wanting to get the band out, diet pills, weight watchers, you name it - absolute hell trying to get this band to work.

And yes I followed the rules at least 95% of the time. I tracked my calories on fitday for over a year and met with the nutritionist twice - i've been filled/unfilled and have eaten between 800-1500 calories and exercised 4-7 days a week. I snow skied in the winter very strenuously and exercised at a gym.

At my last fill I was up in lbs for a total loss of 6 in almost two years. Since my last fill I am finally losing. I am 2.3 in my band which is where I started (minus a loss) so I think this is a good fill for me.

However, I now eat less then 600 calories a day - I'm tight all day so I have some v8 juice and maybe a Protein shake or Soup and then about 1/2 cup of food for dinner.

I am now at a total loss of 16 lbs as of today. I'm weak and don't exercise much but I take my Vitamins and I don't care as I am finally losing.

I was 5'2 and 183lbs at surgery (well lost to 179 day of) today i am at 163 and my goal is 125.

I never thought I could stand this low of calories but I guess it is what it takes for me to lose weight and I am going to stik with it. I've spent almost 20,000 and I refuse to be a complete failure. I am still hungry during the day but do get full faster on a very small amount of food. I never had that before with the band and always had to exercise restraint with amount, etc.

Ok, I don't have the band or experience with the band but I am an RN and have worked with diabetic patients and nutrition counseling so I'm going to try some nutritional advice. I think that you are slowing your metabolism. I mean, according to everything, you should be losing weight because you are taking in far less calories than you are burning between your metabolism and your work out. Therefore, you need to do a few things to kick you natural metabolism in. Here are the tips that I know to start your body bring more calories:

1) A sauna - sitting in a sauna burns up to 600 cals per hour (not that you would sit an hour) by raising you body temp slightly

2) Walking in the morning and before bed for 10 minutes briskly on and having a small meal - Protein based after am walk and nothing after pm walk except Water

3) A small carb-based snack in between meals - ex: a baked potato, brown rice, rice cakes. This snack should be not more than 150 cals. and should be a complex carb. Carbs boost your metabolism and help your brain to release serotonin which increases your sense of satisfaction.

4) Lean Protein at every meal, carbs 2-3 hours after as a snack- Proteins make you feel full, carbs speed the metabolism.

5) Weight training - 2 times per week- this is a no brainer - muscles burn more calories, of course we all know this one...

I am not preaching to you so I hope you don't feel irritated with the advice. Certainly if I know all of this I shouldn't be fat and I am but I do use these things and I was 250lbs after my son. I have managed to lose 60 lbs on my own and trust me, I fall off the wagon all of the time! That is why I am getting banded.

Good Luck!

I had my surgery done in Mexicali, by Dr. Aceves. I was then, and continue to be extremely happy with it. I have recommended him to several since mine was done a year ago.

I will say, regardless of who you choose, if it is not being done locally---make plans in advance should a problem arise. If using a Dr. in Denver is still a flight away, you need to keep that in mind.

I live in a rural area, and while Aceves' office helped me find more local aftercare here in the states, it is still 5-6 hours away! So I also met with my former oncologist, concerning an emergency unfill if it were ever necessary. He spoke to the surgeon, and agreed to be an emergency contact in my area.

My experience of going to MX for my surgery was wonderful, the surgeon, his staff, the hospital, and the staff there, were great! They treated me, and my DH like guests! Every effort was made to keep us comfortable, and informed. Language was not an issue except for my DH in the cafeteria of the hospital---even then they have a picture menu---so he could just point!

Researching your surgeon is VERY important---but unless you can get back to use the surgeons office for your fills/adjustments, it is also important to arrange that and research it PRIOR to surgery. The band is not going to work for you if you get it, and then find you can't get fills! There are way too many people I read about who get the band and then begin looking for someone to treat them here in the states---do it in advance---be proactive with your health---that's what this band is all about!

I wouldn't change how I did my surgery---I am very happy with my experience.

Good Luck to you!!!

Kat