Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please advise-How do you know if you stretch you pouch?

:( Hi guys its been awhile since I posted. It's been about seven weeks since I was banded. I had my first fill last week. It was painless. However, I am concerned because I can eat anything and any amount. I am making better choices and trying to stick to the correct portions. Which leads to my questions how do you know if you have stretch your band. I did see the nutritionist who said I would know and its takes a lot to stetch your band. I guess I am still concerned because I really feel like I am eating to much. I have loss about 27lbs since Feb 16. So my question is How do you know if you stetch your band or not. I have not been sick at all, no nausea or vomiting. Nothing has gotten stuck. I really can eat everything. Even though certain things I just will not try like bread and steak. Please advise. Thanks! Happy

Banded 2/1/6/07-218

1st fill March 26th-191

:( Hi guys its been awhile since I posted. It's been about seven weeks since I was banded. I had my first fill last week. It was painless. However, I am concerned because I can eat anything and any amount. I am making better choices and trying to stick to the correct portions. Which leads to my questions how do you know if you have stretch your band. I did see the nutritionist who said I would know and its takes a lot to stetch your band. I guess I am still concerned because I really feel like I am eating to much. I have loss about 27lbs since Feb 16. So my question is How do you know if you stetch your band or not. I have not been sick at all, no nausea or vomiting. Nothing has gotten stuck. I really can eat everything. Even though certain things I just will not try like bread and steak. Please advise. Thanks! Happy

Banded 2/1/6/07-218

1st fill March 26th-191

I was banded around the same time as you and I felt no restriction after my first fill on March 28th; I was even able to eat pizza and drink soda! I have now had fill number 2 and I am starting to feel restriction. Rest assured you have not stretched your pouch or your band. You probably just need another fill!

I also got banded around the same time (feb 15th) My first fill was only lcc and my next fill with be tomorrow. I think I was told 1.5 to 2cc's. I didn't feel any real restriction. The only time I do feel restriction is when I eat too much meat. I guess I'm eating approximately a 3/4 to 1 cup of protien at meal time. I have to be really careful not to eat after supper. For some reason it gives me the choking, uncomfortable feeling.

If you are worried or curious about the symptoms of streching your band ask your doctor again. He will tell you. In the meantime I'll ask mine tomorrow (9th) and post it here tomorrow night.

:) Hi guys its been awhile since I posted. It's been about seven weeks since I was banded. I had my first fill last week. It was painless. However, I am concerned because I can eat anything and any amount. I am making better choices and trying to stick to the correct portions. Which leads to my questions how do you know if you have stretch your band. I did see the nutritionist who said I would know and its takes a lot to stetch your band. I guess I am still concerned because I really feel like I am eating to much. I have loss about 27lbs since Feb 16. So my question is How do you know if you stetch your band or not. I have not been sick at all, no nausea or vomiting. Nothing has gotten stuck. I really can eat everything. Even though certain things I just will not try like bread and steak. Please advise. Thanks! Happy

Banded 2/1/6/07-218

1st fill March 26th-191

I was also banded around the same time as you Feb 22 07 and got my

first fill on April 2 07 of 1.3 cc and I know how you feel I can eat just

about anything if I chew it really good but I try hard not to I dont think

you have anything to worry about your band is fine

:) Thanks guys for all responses. I did call my DR. and according to her I did not stretch my band I just don't have restriction yet. And its only been one fill so I am going to just wait it out and continue to monitor the amount of food I consume. I will keep you posted.:)

I may be a little late but I got an answer to the question of stretching the pouch. Yesterday I had my second fill yesterday 1.3 cc's. While being filled the doctor said not to worry about stretching the pouch. With each fill you will feel the restriction. If you push or increase the amount of food you normally wouldn't put into your stomach it will increase the chances of stretching your pouch. The doctor told me to be honest with her at each fill appointment and she will determine if a upper GI xray is needed to check for stretching. Bottom line: follow the bandster rules for food consumption, be honest with yourself and your doctor, trust and listen to your doctor and you will do great. I have faith in you

I had little restriction until my 3rd fill and then it was wonderful. BUT I did dilate my pouch because I was too tight! food and even Water just sat too long before going through the band! I found out because I felt like I could eat anything all of a sudden so I thought I needed a fill. The fluoro showed I was restricted but my pouch was stretched. I was scared! 3 days of liquids only and it was back to normal. Sometimes they do 3 days of liquids and a bit of an unfill.

LOTS of people have little to no restriction after the first and second fill....or even the 6th...and some people are restricted with no fill. It's amazingly individualized.

Sounds like you definitely need another fill. It took me 5 fills to get to optimal fill level. Don't be shy. Call your doctor and schedule it. Julie

yes, you will find that sweet spot...my first fill I had pizza and diet coke that night! second fill and I can only eat 3 or 4 bite and I am full...I didnt ever think I would happen but it did for me, and it will for you!

hey, read your post, you drink soda? my doctor told me that carbonation will expand your stomach and allow you to eat more which is defeating the purpose. just wondering if you felt anything different after drinking it? thanks

I was under the understanding from my doc that if you a) dont go too tight and :) dont eat to the point of actually feeling FULL all of the time you should be right.

;) Thanks guys for all responses. I did call my DR. and according to her I did not stretch my band I just don't have restriction yet. And its only been one fill so I am going to just wait it out and continue to monitor the amount of food I consume. I will keep you posted.:)

You really can't stretch your band, but you can stretch your pouch or esophagus.

A friend of mine got a fill and had great restriction. Soon he realized he could eat anything he wanted, this was within days of having great restriction. He thought he needed another fill and went for one, this time under fluoro. Turns out, he didn't need a fill. He thought food was passing through his stoma and it wasn't, he was using his esophagus as an extended stomach. It was huge, it looked like an engorged colon. It was kinda gross looking and no fine contours.

He went on liquids and all is well once again, he has great restriction and no further fill.

Jachut,

I admire you and you are a very smart bandster. You told me a while back I was probably too tight and you were soooo right. I mean I checked fitday.com for the past 5 days and the most calories I had was 379 over 5 days, that was the most. I emailed Dr. Curry and he emailed me back that that is why I haven't lost a pound in 2 months. Now, I can't imagine why at that low of calories and exercising why I wasn't losing but I agree with what you told me that it wasn't healthy so I'm making that dreaded 10 hour round trip drive tomorrow for a slight unfill. I have 3cc's now in my 4 cc's band and he ask me how much I thought I wanted out and I said at least .5 cc's what do you think?

I appreciate your help and your always soooo helpful to all of us.

I find that I can eat anything again so I thought since I had not been adjusted for two years that I needed a fill. I went yesterday and nothing had leaked out in fact I almost have my 4cc band almost completely full. I think I have stretched my pouch. How do I undo the damage. Will being on liquids for three days do the trick?